We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sydney, two quick questions

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
130 posts
1 review
Save Topic
sydney, two quick questions

If we ( 15 year old and 20 year old) want to touch and interact with Australian wildlife (i.e. Kangaroos, etc) are we better off at Featherdale Wildlife Park, or Taronga zoo wild Australia experience tour?

Secondly, do I need to book in advance a tour of the Sydney Opera House or are tickets usually available?

Thanks for everyones great input!

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,095 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sydney, two quick questions

Hi Yarah,

I would say you're better off with Taronga. I have not personally done the Wild Australia experience, but the website is quite clear that you will have a far more extensive experience there than you get as a regular visitor to Featherdale.

If you know when you want to do the opera house tour it might be advisable to book. Certainly a couple of years ago the better times did sell out. However, it may not be such an issue now with tourism being a bit quiet due to international economic conditions. Remember not to do the tour when matinee performances are running or you will have limits as to where they can show you.

Edited: 23 March 2012, 08:58
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sydney, two quick questions

Its a beautiful building and that is its highlight - the extraordinary external shape of the building on the water. The bowels of the building aren't so fantastic to examine up close.

I'd recommend a performance instead over doing a tour of the insides.

You are able to walk all around the outside of the Opera House for free and go inside into various sections for free. This you can do anytime to suit.

Is it necessary to see the green room and changing areas and be on the stage? To me that is questionable. Its a virtual rabbit warren internally - not so different to a messy office inside. Really I think this might be ideal for real theatre enthusiasts only.

Edited: 25 March 2012, 05:43
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,095 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sydney, two quick questions

Ah... you don't see the green room or stand on the stage on the standard opera house tour. You do these "behind the scenes" elements on the Backstage tour. I suspect that the price of the backstage tour will sort the sheep from the goats in terms of interest level.

Also there are very few areas of the interior of the opera house that you can just go into and wander around without tickets at any time, and certainly not the various theatres and not the northern foyers.

IMHO both the opera house tours are very well worth doing. The commentary on both tours is very interesting and added a lot to my appreciation of the building itself. Certainly it is desirable to see a performance as well as just doing a tour, but IMHO one is not a substitute for the other. Depending on what specific performances are running when you're visiting you might not want to spend $$ seeing whatever happens to be on in the concert hall for example. You might prefer one of shows in the smaller performance spaces, in which case you will not be allowed to just go wandering willy nilly throughout the complex....

If you are in town for a few days and there's a mix of performance types in the concert hall over that period, try to opt for a day when say, the Symphony, is performing in the concert hall. They are likely to just have the stage with the view of the organ unobstructed. Other sorts of performances often set the concert hall up so the organ cannot be seen which is a bit of a shame if you're wanting to see the concert hall at its most lovely.

4. Re: sydney, two quick questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 08:17