We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry to Manly Beach

Llanelli, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Topic
Ferry to Manly Beach

I will be visiting Sydney at the end of July and am thinking of catching the ferry to Manly for a few hours. What is there to see/do whilst there at this time of year (we will be a party of 4).

I don’t travel particularly well on water and I was just wondering how rough the crossing will be?? How long does the ferry take??

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
17,638 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry to Manly Beach

Manly is a beachside town so the beach and swimming is the main attraction. However, as you will be there in winter you won't be able to do that. Unless you love icy cold water :-)

The ferry ride could be rough depending on the weather. The trip is about 30 mins each way (from Circular Quay) and as it goes past the Heads (an outlet from the harbour to the ocean) there could be a big swell causing the boat to really rock! For most people this is a bit of fun for about 5 mins. The rest of the time is normal large boat type of swaying.

Manly is good for walks, see the link I've attached. The Corso has shops (mainly cheap stuff and souvenirs) and some cafes, restaurants and pubs. There are also bike rides using hired bikes.

If you like thrills, there is an Oceanworld where you can dive with the sharks!

For a few hours I'd say you can fill in your time quite easily.

manlyaustralia.com.au/information/what_to_do…

manlyaustralia.com.au/information/what_to_do…

Edited: 25 March 2012, 21:06
Mentioned in this post
Circular Quay
Circular Quay
3,512 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,122 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry to Manly Beach

Plenty to do at Manly all year round.

Have a look at

http://www.manlyaustralia.com.au/

Generally the ferry is calm. If the weather is stormy the (short) section of the crossing between the heads of the harbour can be

rough, however most of the time this is not the case. My hubby always suffered very badly from motion sickness and sea sickness in particular but he can cope with the Manly ferry. The trip is only 30 mins.

There is also a choice of fast ferry services. The Sydney Fast Ferry cuts the trip time to 18 mins.

www.sydneyfastferries.com.au/Default.aspx

You could also consider taking a fast ferry service such as the Eco hopper which would let you explore more around the harbour (Including Manly and a stop at Q Station) in shorter trip sections.

http://www.sydneyharbourecohopper.com.au/

PS the walk from the ocean beach around to Shelly beach is good on days when it is otherwise cold with a southerly blowing. It's protected from the wind and is a bit of a sun trap...

Edited: 25 March 2012, 21:20
Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Shelly Beach
Shelly Beach
1,258 Reviews
Manly, Australia
Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry to Manly Beach

I just took the ferry on the weekend and it was fine. I agree with others about the 5 minute section as you go past the heads but seriously its not all that long. Place yourself in the middle of the boat where the rocking is sometimes less. For the five minutes of pain (if that) it is definately worth the ride as it is cheap and you see lots along the way - its not so much about the destination.

Lou

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry to Manly Beach

north head is worth a vist.

taxi or bus

www.sydneyforall.com/NorthHeadLookout.html

Edited: 26 March 2012, 03:55
New Zealand
Level Contributor
6,486 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry to Manly Beach

If it looks a bit rough on the day, but you'd still like to take a ferry trip, one of the inner harbour ferries might suit. These go to places like Taronga Zoo with a good view of the Opera House on the way, Darling Harbour and Balmain which go underneath the Harbour Bridge, or Cremorne and Mosman.

This last one is my favourite, because there is a nice harbourside walk between Cremorne Point and Mosman (about 20-30 minutes). If you get off at Cremorne Point, you can walk to Mosman, maybe have lunch at the Mosman Rowers club, then catch the ferry back to the city. This ferry also gives a good view of the Opera House.

Mentioned in this post
Taronga Zoo
Taronga Zoo
5,819 Reviews
Mosman, Australia
Sydney Harbour
Sydney Harbour
19,080 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Balmain
Balmain
Sydney, Australia
Sydney Harbour Bridge
Sydney Harbour Bridge
11,551 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,325 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry to Manly Beach

We took the Manly ferry a few years ago in November, so the temps were better and we had no rain. But I think you'll find the average winter high in Sydney to be comparable to our northern hemi summer temps. 15-16C in July there. We found the ferry delightful. We did feel the sea change as we crossed between the heads, but it wasn't serious. It is possible to be outside as the boat has a bench right down the side, although there is an enclosed area as well.

We explored the Corso and the beach side but weren't ready to go back. So we did a little neighbourhood snooping. I'm using google maps to refresh my memory. After walking along North Steyne for a while, we cut up on Raglan, took a jog and continued on Griffiths for about 20 min. Then we zig zagged through streets back to the ferry wharf. I found that really put "a face" on Manly. It was very enjoyable. Probably took an hour and a quarter.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Llanelli, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry to Manly Beach

Thanks all for your comments. I hope the crossing won't be too rough; I really don’t want to miss out on the outstanding views!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
17,638 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry to Manly Beach

Good on ya Coley! Give it a go, I'm sure you'll be fine and the views will be priceless. Let us know how your trip went.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry to Manly Beach

one of the joys of life was to be on the last trip on the manly ferry before it was cancelled due to rough weather. the trip across the heads was a roller coaster ride. but really, normally it's never that bad and i would be surprised if u experienced any problems.

10. Re: Ferry to Manly Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 11:40