We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Australian Football in May- Auburn (Sydney) or Sydney Swans?

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Trussville
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Australian Football in May- Auburn (Sydney) or Sydney Swans?

As a fan of Auburn Tigers college football in the US, I was excited to learn there is an Auburn Tigers Australian rules football team in Sydney. However, I'm not so sure about going to Mona Park in the neighborhood in Auburn near Sydney.

Would it be better for me to attend a game in Sydney? I saw where the Sydney Swans are playing Melbourne on May 19. Would that be a good game to attend at the Sydney Cricket Grounds? How would these games compare to a US college or NFL game?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Australian Football in May- Auburn (Sydney) or Sydney Swans?

first off there is no comparison between american and australian football.

australian football is full on action for 100 mins, virtually non stop with a short break each quarter. and no helmets and body armour.

i follow the vikings when in the usa but struggle to be enthusiastic about the code.

i would be going to the swans games for high quality football and crowd atmosphere.

a local minor league game at auburn would be pretty lame.

Edited: 07 April 2012, 21:27
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,513 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Australian Football in May- Auburn (Sydney) or Sydney Swans?

You do realize that, despite what fans of AFL may tell you, there are actually three major football codes played in Australia - Australian Rules Football, Rugby League and Rugby Union?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Australian Football in May- Auburn (Sydney) or Sydney Swans?

four if u count soccer, eva.

and the ffa thinks your should.

Edited: 07 April 2012, 22:44
Trussville
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Australian Football in May- Auburn (Sydney) or Sydney Swans?

Sounds fun!

So how many people would be at a Sydney/Melbourne game?

Would that be a safe train trip from the Central Business District?

The game is on Saturday afternoon 19th May 2012 at the Sydney Cricket Ground. Would that be the biggest game in town that weekend?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Australian Football in May- Auburn (Sydney) or Sydney Swans?

the capacity of the scg is 46,000

it may be or close to full.

the scg is a short bus trip from the cbd or u can walk it if u want. depends where u r staying. sydney is very safe most places if u take the normal precautions.

that would be the only australian rules game (of any note) in town that weekend.

others codes of football would also be playing their respective games.

Broadford, Australia
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Australian Football in May- Auburn (Sydney) or Sydney Swans?

I believe the SCG is undergoing some work on some of the stands and the capacity at present is 30,000.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,133 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Australian Football in May- Auburn (Sydney) or Sydney Swans?

Yes, definitely head to a Swans match.

It's safe so no problems on that score.

Public transport is included as part of your ticket price. It's a bus service to the SCG as there are no train lines out that way. There are dedicated buses from Central or you can catch loads of other regular bus services from the city. It depends where you are starting your journey.

There are only 2 Sydney teams in the AFL and one of them only joined the comp this year. There are loads of Melbourne based teams so it's not like this is a massive Syd v Mel rivalry.

Any match at the SCG provides great atmosphere. It's only a pity that the game starts so late in the afternoon on that day. Day matches in the autumn sunshine are just glorious there.

>> I believe the SCG is undergoing some work on some of the stands and the capacity at present is 30,000. <<

It is. And having gone to the first home game yesterday, we were underwhelmed sitting in our new seats and facing an empty stand. It felt very strange. :-) And to think we have to wait until 2014 until it's finished - ugh!

Australia
Level Contributor
302 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Australian Football in May- Auburn (Sydney) or Sydney Swans?

You might also want to think about a rugby league game which is closer to american football. On 20th May St George play Rabbitohs at Kogarah. This should be a huge game with local rivalry between the two teams.

Check nrl.com for details and if you want to go, buy your tickets reasonably early as it could potentially be a sell-out. The ground is an easy walk from Carlton station.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,099 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Australian Football in May- Auburn (Sydney) or Sydney Swans?

Another vote for the Swans Vs Melbourne

There are buses direct to the SCG from central railway station, Goulburn St (outside the Vibe hotel) & Circular Quay. Unless theres been a change this year, you do need to pay though, not included in ticket price as Mez said. (Mez may be confusing with games at Homebush where transport is included in ticket prices?)

Further info. on the Swans website http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,133 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Australian Football in May- Auburn (Sydney) or Sydney Swans?

>> Unless theres been a change this year, you do need to pay though, not included in ticket price as Mez said. <<

I just assumed they were included. What a rip off! LOL