We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Sydney for 2013 New Year for 4 adults & 2 children.

Chandigarh, India
Level Contributor
170 posts
344 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Sydney for 2013 New Year for 4 adults & 2 children.

We two (60+), our son and his wife (30+) with their two children (6 and 5 years old then) are planning a trip to Sydney to watch the 2013 new year eve celebrations.

Would like advice on where to stay i.e. should we opt to stay from where we can watch the fire works.

If so, where specifically?

We would prefer an apartment where we can also cook but it is not mandatory or do we take a cruise and go back to a hotel/apartment located elsewhere. How to book the cruise and with which cruise line?

Further, if so, how to commute back after fire works.?

I am planning on a hotel budget of upto a max. of 3000 Aus $ for the 31st. night. Is it OK?

Advice/Suggestions solicited

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,137 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Sydney for 2013 New Year for 4 adults & 2 children.

Your budget for one night is ideal. It should get a you a view room at Quay West Apartments. In the event you need 2 rooms I would get one view and one not. be aware though you will not get only 1 nights accom anywhere, most have a minimum 3 night stay, some 5 and some 7 during that period.

The other great apartment hotel is Quay Grand but they operate a wait list system so you may not be sure you have a room until only a few weeks before so you would need to have a cancellable backup. Quay Grand needs a Circular Quay room not a botanic gardens.

I can't recommend a particular cruise. If staying in the city the only commute will be walking.

Mentioned in this post
Quay West Suites Sydney
Quay West Suites Sydney
1,410 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Quay Restaurant
Quay Restaurant
1,808 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Sydney for 2013 New Year for 4 adults & 2 children.

Just a thought - there's not much point in paying premium prices for a hotel with a fantastic view of the fireworks if you plan on being out on the harbor on a cruise to watch the pyrotechnics. If that is the case then why not get an apartment in the city but without the view? It will still be expensive and there will still be the minimum nights requirement that GW mentioned but it will be considerably less than a room with a view.

There are lost of suggestions about NYE in the top questions on the right and in the 'sticky' at the top. Why don't you have a look at what others have done?

Chandigarh, India
Level Contributor
170 posts
344 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Sydney for 2013 New Year for 4 adults & 2 children.

Thanks.

I agree that if we are taking a cruise, we need not bother with a hotel with a view. If so, how long does the cruise normally take? What are the charges and how does one go about booking one?

And with two kids, how do we go back after the fireworks?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,201 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Sydney for 2013 New Year for 4 adults & 2 children.

There is a good sticky on NYE at the top of this page + a whole FAQ on it including links & information on cruises on the right hand side of this page under "More about Sydney" then "top questions"

Travel back after the fireworks will depend on which cruise you choose & where you'll be staying - walking is usually the best (& possibly only way) way, but I'm not sure I'd do that( or a cruise) with kids as young as yours.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Chandigarh, India
Level Contributor
170 posts
344 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Sydney for 2013 New Year for 4 adults & 2 children.

As per Mia's suggestion, cruise on new year eve is out. So, that brings us back to square one. A hotel/apartment with one room having good view.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Sydney for 2013 New Year for 4 adults & 2 children.

Some cruises are not suitable for children of that age but the 9pm fireworks specifically designed for kids so they can be in bed early are great experience and is usually less crowded then the midnight fireworks but still with a great vibe. Hotels dont let rooms out for one night on NYE either.

Cruises are ranging from 400-700 per adult and 300-500 per child normally perhaps more now it's closer to the time. I'd recommend hotel as that way can be together without fear of being separated and would be child friendly

Chandigarh, India
Level Contributor
170 posts
344 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Sydney for 2013 New Year for 4 adults & 2 children.

We have decided to postpone our trip to next year, due to certain family commitments this New year.

But I really must thank everyone who took the time out to respond to my queries.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to Sydney for 2013 New Year for 4 adults & 2 children.

Hi travellerIndi... may be a good thing in the long run as the kids will be that bit older, and now you have all the info you can be really organised for next year ie book accom early to hopefully get a better rate, etc.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,437 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to Sydney for 2013 New Year for 4 adults & 2 children.

Hi travellerIndi,

for your planning for the trip in dec 2013, if you start looking for accommodation in june-july 2013, you might have better choices/locations.

Chandigarh, India
Level Contributor
170 posts
344 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip to Sydney for 2013 New Year for 4 adults & 2 children.

Thanks for the tip. This year in April 2012, I found that the choicest locations were already booked.

So, I plan to start booking in the beginning of 2013 itself.