We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How To Get to Manly From Bangaroo? + Where To Have Lunch?

Malibu, California
Level Contributor
246 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
How To Get to Manly From Bangaroo? + Where To Have Lunch?

We will be cruising, and the ship is scheduled to be docked at Bangaroo/Wharf 5. I know that we will need to take a ferry to Circular Quay, and then, take another ferry from there to Manly. Where is the closest ferry terminal to Bangaroo/Wharf 5 that we use to ferry to Circular Quay?

Once in Manly, we plan to take a walk around Manly that takes us through Fairy Bower and along a loop that takes us around the island and returns us to the Wharf in Manly. Can you recommend a nice place to stop for lunch that will have a wonderful view? It's probably best to recommend a place that is somewhere between the Wharf and Shelly Beach, just in case we don't make it all the way around the loop. Something simple like a salad or sandwich, or fish and chips would suit us fine.

Thanks!

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How To Get to Manly From Bangaroo? + Where To Have Lunch?

ferry wharf at darling harbour

sydneyferries.info/uploads/DarlingHarbourHHT…

plenty of cheap places to eat on the corso and waterfront at manly (it's not an island) so just walk and choose.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
971 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How To Get to Manly From Bangaroo? + Where To Have Lunch?

Hi Malibu CA.

You could walk over the hill through the city to Circular Quay - it's a little more than one kilometre. If you'd prefer to take the ferry, the nearest public ferry wharf is at Sydney Aquarium - around 800 metres walk away from Barangaroo passenger terminal. The ferry will take you out from Darling Harbour, across to Balmain East and a couple of stops on the northside, then under the Harbour Bridge and into Circular Quay.

I'll leave it to the Manly experts to recommend places to eat.

Safe travels.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How To Get to Manly From Bangaroo? + Where To Have Lunch?

The ferry wharf at Sydney Aquarium closed about a year ago.

The nearest ferry wharf is at King St Wharf 3, which you can see from the Cruise Terminal at Barangaroo, but you there is a fence in the way, stopping you walking directly along the water to get there.

You'll have to exit the cruise terminal, turn right, and then just turn right again back down to the water along a fenced path through the construction zone. Turn left when you get to the water at Darling Harbour, and the ferry wharf is a little further on, you can't miss it. The walk will take around 10 minutes or so.

You can buy tickets and get information at the wharf. Ferries leave around every 20 minutes to Circular Quay (and take around 20 minutes), and around every 30 minutes from Circular Quay to Manly (and take around 30 minutes). Unfortunately you'll have to buy separate tickets for each ferry, which will make it worth your while buying a MyMulti day-tripper, by the time you do four ferry trips.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How To Get to Manly From Bangaroo? + Where To Have Lunch?

It could take you a lot longer to take the ferry to Circular Quay in order to get the Manly ferry than to simply walk through The Rocks directly to the Manly ferry wharf. The walk should take no more than 15 - 20 minutes. By the time you have paid for 2 ferry tickets at $5.60 each it wouldn't be that much more to take a cab to the Quay and be there in 5 minutes.

Where to eat depends a lot (as everywhere) on budget.

Le Kiosk at Fairy Bower is a perennial favorite in a great setting and fully licensed if you feel like a drink. http://www.lekiosk.com.au/

The Bower Restaurant is also popular for lunch (you'll pass it on your way to Fairy Bower), but I've only had breakfast there (which was excellent) so can't comment on their lunch menu.

At the other end of the scale, in Wentworth Ave near the beach is a takeaway fish and chip shop (I think it's called the Manly Fish Market) where you can get a box of freshly cooked fish and chips and if it's a nice day, go across the road and sit at one of the tables on the beachfront or dangle your feet over the seawall looking out over the beach.

If you want restaurant style but something more casual, there are a number of options on the Manly Wharf side - you'll see them all there when you get off the ferry. Belgian Beer cafe is always buzzing as is the Manly Wharf Hotel and both offer good dining options.

Garfish, which is across the road, is also consistently good.

A very personal opinion of mine is that the string of restaurants along the Corso are very much geared towards tourists and tend to be overpriced for what you get. The same can be said for many of the places along The Steyne (seafront) - just my opinion!

Hope the weather is good for you!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,621 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How To Get to Manly From Bangaroo? + Where To Have Lunch?

Couldn't agree more about the Corso & Esplanade restaurants, Eva.

Friend & I did a walk around North Head on Saturday, ending up at the Bower for lunch. We shared a very good bruschetta, I had the whiting & he a burger. Couple of glasses of rose, a coffee. Just the thing.

Btw - there's a very good little gift, homewares & curios shop now in that building on the corner opposite Bower. Well worth a look.

The Kiosk was busy ( haven't been there for years since a very underwhelming & expensive corporate function, so can't comment on their current offerings / service )

Other places I like in Manly include Hugo's, the Skiff club & Manly Wharf Hotel, Garfish and the place on the beach in the old dressing shed (Larder?).

Have been to the Pavillion a couple of times and although the food & setting were superb, the service last time was very shoddy.

Must have concerned me & our party more than the owners who didn't bother to respond to my email detailing what had let their side down badly.

OP, I'd rake the advice to walk or get a cab to Circular Quay - too much messing about for that short distance to bother with more ferries.

Enjoy your trip

the overflow
Level Contributor
428 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How To Get to Manly From Bangaroo? + Where To Have Lunch?

the skiff club is my favourite....got a local feel

http://www.manlyskiff.com.au/

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How To Get to Manly From Bangaroo? + Where To Have Lunch?

If you do decide to walk to CQ, drop a note here for directions. Lots of steps, hills and narrow multi-level streets and paths around there that don't all connect. Easy to get lost if you aren't familiar with the area.

Darling Harbour is easy though. Should have no problem there.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How To Get to Manly From Bangaroo? + Where To Have Lunch?

There is also a direct ferry run by Sydney Fast Ferries.

Timetable: manlyfastferry.com.au/media/manly_northsydne…

That would be easiest for you.

Quickest is definitely walking to Circular Quay and getting on a public ferry (they go every 30mins all day)

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: How To Get to Manly From Bangaroo? + Where To Have Lunch?

The locality is called BARANGAROO, named after the noble and feisty wife of Bennelong. She was effectively the Queen of the original Eora people that lived around Sydney Harbour in the early 1800's.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How To Get to Manly From Bangaroo? + Where To Have Lunch?

LL i notice u have joined today.

i suggest u read this:

tripadvisor.com.au/help/how_do_i_change_my_s…