We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nature Trips in Sydney

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnatus, New...
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Nature Trips in Sydney

Hi TA,

I have a business trip to Sydney the first two weeks of July and will heading down a few days early to explore.

We both love natural beauty so we were going to do a tour to the Blue mountains, a royal coast walk and whale watching tours. Are there any other tours along this theme that we should consider?

We will also be seeing a show at the Opera house and of course walking around the harbor. We have about 5 days to ourselves in the city, any thing else that we should consider?

We are not big on Wine or Art, but would love to see some Kangaroos and koala bears.

Thanks TA!

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,832 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nature Trips in Sydney

One of the best things about Sydney is the ability to get out into the bush without leaving Sydney.

You could also consider some walks in some

of the NPs - Lane Cove NP, Kuring Gai NP, Royal NP south of Sydney. They all have some

fabulous walking trails.

Have a look at this site http://www.wildwalks.com/ for some ideas. Their track descriptions and headings are spot on as are the timings.

If you really want to be sure of seeing Australian fauna then you will need to see them in captivity. Taronga Zoo or Featherdale wildlife park. You may see them in the wild but no guarantees.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nature Trips in Sydney

Well, you're not going to see Koalas in the wild in Sydney, unfortunately.

You have a choice of several wildlife type parks, including Taronga Zoo. Taronga may suit you, because it has nice harbour views, and there are some nice harbour walks from the ferry wharf there too.

When you say the "Royal Coast Walk", do you mean the Coast Walk in the Royal National Park? If so, you do have a chance of seeing kangaroos on this walk, near Era beach in the late afternoon. You'll see birdlife, and possibly some snakes and goannas too. Australian wildlife tends to be very shy, so wildlife spotting in the parks around Sydney is a mix of luck and patience. Its no Yellowstone or Kruger.

You have a chance in the Blue Mountains too, but you'd have to be doing a hike, and not on a tour, I suspect.

Do you have a night to spend away? A drive down the south coast would take you past some spectacular coastal scenery, and place you near some places you'd be pretty much guaranteed to see kangaroos in the wild.

Cincinnatus, New...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Nature Trips in Sydney

When I say royal cost walk, I mean this: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g255060-d1…

We were planning on doing a half day walk as the images from the tours look amazing!

As for renting a car, a bit apprehensive about doing so as I am from the US and driving on the opposite side of the road may be a bit of a thrill in itself.

Our rough itinerary would be something like this:

Day 1: walk around the city, recover from jetlag

Day 2: go on the Royal Cost Walk

Day 3: Go the to the Blue Mountains

Day 4: See a show at the Opera House/Whale watching

Day 5: Possibly see an AFL game?

Thanks!

Edited: 01 May 2012, 19:53
Oz
Level Contributor
11,706 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nature Trips in Sydney

Hi,

In NSW the National Parks & Wildlife Service run "Discovery Tours" that should cater to your needs. Here is a link to the site …nsw.gov.au/tours/allaboutdiscoverywalkstalk…

If you are staying in the CBD Kuringai NP and Royal NP are the closest and you are already going to visit the Blue Mts NP so see what's available during your visit.

Cheers,

Edited: 01 May 2012, 21:50
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,432 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nature Trips in Sydney

Hi bdsams, if the timing is right you could see the Swans play at the SCG. You need to get your tickets via Ticketek. For non-members these will be on sale from mid May.

sydneyswans.com.au/Membership/…Default.aspx

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nature Trips in Sydney

Don't forget the Sydney Harbour National Park - which really is the closest to go for walks.

North Head, Middle Head, Georges Head, Bradleys Head, South Head, Nielsens Park and the Harbour Islands

…nsw.gov.au/resources/parks/brochures/SHNPBr…

…nsw.gov.au/resources/parks/brochures/SHNPBr…

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,832 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nature Trips in Sydney

Here's another invaluable website if you like walking. http://www.walkingcoastalsydney.com.au/

On some sections of this walk you can be completely surrounded by bushland while

looking at the Harbor Bridge and the Opera house. You won't see kangaroos but you may spot some water dragons and you will probably hear the chimps as you walk around the back of the zoo;-))

If you read the document you will see that it includes directions for getting to the start of each part of the walk by public transport.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nature Trips in Sydney

I see that the "Royal Coast Walk" is a commercial tour guide running walks through the Royal National Park.

The Royal National Park is a moderately large national park, just on the southern edge of Sydney. There are many hikes across the park, and the landscape changes from cliffs, to coastal heath, to rainforest and eucalypt forest.

The Coast Walk is a well developed walk that stretches from the northern end of the park to the south, along some dramatic coastal scenery and beaches. It usually takes two days to walk it, you can do it in one if you are very keen.

From the reviews, it looks like they do offer the full walk, plus some day walks from Bundeena to the aboriginal rock carvings there, and around to Marley and back.

My concern for you wanting to see the photos, is if you do a half day walk from Cronulla to Bundeena on the ferry to the rock carvings, you may only make it to the rock carvings, and you may not go all the way to Marley.

I'm just thinking if you were keen bushwalkers, you may be able to achieve more than if you were in a tour group (you'll see more wildlife without the noise of a group, and you may set a better pace). You can get the train to Cronulla and ferry across to Bundeena and walk to the rock carvings, or for a greater physical challenge walk from Otford Station northwards towards Burning Palms. If you want to walk between them, you'll need a good map, and to start early.

Have a look at the wildwalks site eva mentioned. They have a good article on the Coastal Walk.

Cincinnatus, New...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Nature Trips in Sydney

You all are so awesome, i need to digest all of this and take a look at the links!

Thanks!

england
Level Contributor
52 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nature Trips in Sydney

Have you thought about climbing Sydney Bridge,we did this 2 years ago and i have to say it was one of our highlights while we were in Sydney,it's got to be done,the view from the top is amazing,if you do decide to go ahead with the climb,go early morning before it gets to hot,or late in the afternoon, book way in advance.