We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bridge climb in November - prebook or not?

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
76 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Bridge climb in November - prebook or not?

First visit to Australia so trying to pack in as much as possible.

We arrive in Sydney (domestic) on a mid-November Sunday afternoon and leave late Wednesday evening.

Should we pre-book the bridge climb before we set off on our trip from England or wait and see what the weather is like when we get to Sydney and turn up early one nice morning to try and get on a climb (as I understand it does sometimes rain which will spoil the views)?

Thanks

Australia
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bridge climb in November - prebook or not?

My concern is that, if you wait until you're here, you might be taking a risk in the sense that the session you're after might already be booked out, which means you'll need to hope someone pulls out from doing the bridge climb. Hence, I'd recommend pre-booking, but, I'd be interested in seeing what others say, as I've not done the climb myself (hope to, one day!) and would be a bit hesitant over the weather factor as well.

Good luck with your planning and have a GREAT time in Sydney! :)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bridge climb in November - prebook or not?

I rang the Bridge Climb people the day I arrived in Sydney and booked for the next day ... I wanted an afternoon tour, so that when I had my photo taken on the top, the sun was shining on the Opera House in the background.

All worked out perfect.

They have tours all day regularly .. so you should be able to get one when you arrive ... but if you are worried, pre-book. I mean, I can go to Sydney regularly, but if you think this is the only time you'll be here, you may feel safer by pre-booking so you don't miss out on such an awesome adventure.

Allow 3 hours .. for the pre-prep and the climb.

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
76 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bridge climb in November - prebook or not?

Thanks for the advice.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bridge climb in November - prebook or not?

As you arrive in Sydney on a Sunday, I will assume you will want to do the climb during a week day. November is not peak school holiday time so I would imagine you would be pretty safe to book close to when you arrive. But better still, email them to see if you should pre book for that time of year.

You could also check the weather report a week before you arrive and if the forecast looks good, then you could book it just before you get here so you at least know you have got a booking.

Would definately recommend the climb. It has been many years since I did the climb but I still rate it one of the best compared with other tourist attractions I have experienced the last few years.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bridge climb in November - prebook or not?

my american family did the climb in september during school holidays. they booked the day before (just to make sure the weather would be ok) for an early morning start. they arrived 30 mins early and were put into an earlier climb.

so not really busy.

i had the pleasure of watching them from the opera house.

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bridge climb in November - prebook or not?

We visited Sydney in January last year and had booked the Bridge Climb through our UK travel agent. Unfortunately, travel agent had made a complete horlicks of the date (booked us for the week BEFORE we arrived in Sydney!). When I phoned the Bridge Climb people from our hotel and explained, they could not have been more accommodating and let me choose another day/time of my choice. So I would guess that to book on arrival may not be too difficult.

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
76 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bridge climb in November - prebook or not?

Well we booked the day before we did a morning climb and it was well worth the money.

We loved seeing the structure of the bridge from the inside, and hearing about the build from our very knowledgeable guide.

We were lucky with the weather and had a lovely clear view - the following day the weather wasn't as good.

We also did the pylon and walked over the bridge (and around Kirribilli - I love the pair of semis right by the bridge and the water's edge which wouldn't have been out of place in Regency Bath) and back. Some interesting views looking down on the surrounding buildings from all three different locations.

Wandering around the climb starting point area we came across the archaeological dig and the old houses which we found very interesting.

We loved the whole Rocks area - so much to see if you just wander the streets and use your eyes. And Pancakes on the Rocks for breakfast recommended!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bridge climb in November - prebook or not?

Great to hear you enjoyed the bridge climb... some people are so scared, but I tell them to forget all that and just do it....!

Thanks for letting us know.

9. Re: Bridge climb in November - prebook or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 19:15