We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way from airport

vancouver
Level Contributor
111 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Best way from airport

Staying in the rocks area and traveling by myself. Does it make sense to take the train from the airport to circular quay and then take a cab over to the hotel. I read cab fare is 75 dollars where as I will be buying a my multi anyways so all I will need is the gate transfer and a 10 dollar can ride

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,388 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way from airport

Yes, if you don't have too much luggage. Which hotel are you in? You may not need a cab from Circular Quay if you're travelling light.

vancouver
Level Contributor
111 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way from airport

Staying at Lord Nelson, with full luggage for 40 days

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,388 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way from airport

You'll need a cab from Circular Quay. The Lord Nelson isn't far, but too far to walk with more than one smallish wheeled bag.

vancouver
Level Contributor
111 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way from airport

Is it safe to assume cabs are easy to get from circular quay, lots of them around?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way from airport

It's less than 1 km from the station to the Lord Nelson - so it depends on how you feel about walking with luggage - but it's quite walkable.

If you are going to catch a cab from the station, then I would suggest getting a cab all the way from the airport.

I'm not sure where you heard the figure of $75, I'd be surprised if a cab fare from the airport to the Lord Nelson was anywhere near that.

My guess would be somewhere around $40 - perhaps up to $50 in bad traffic.

Cabbies are not going to be too happy taking a fare for such a short distance (CQ to Lord Nelson) but don't be put off - they can't refuse.

Enjoy your stay - the Lord Nelson is a wonderful old historic pub - they do some good food in the bar and their own beers are worth tasting.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,388 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way from airport

There is a taxi rank directly outside CQ station.

It's a busy rank and a lot of the fares are within the CBD, so I don't think the driver will be too concerned.

My god daughter took a a train from the airport and a cab from CQ to the YHA Sydney Harbour the other night and the driver was perfectly ok with it.

Normally she would have walked, but it was dark & wet and she had a large art portfolio that is a bit awkward to carry.

I thought the $75 was a pretty steep estimate too. I'm another 30 mins from the cbd and my cab fare is usually $85-$90 from the airport.

It was the OP's "full luggage for 40 days" comment that made me think it might be a bit much to lug around to the Lord Nelson.

The dining room at the Lord Nelson (on the 1st floor) is excellent.

Good choice, it's a lovely old pub.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,392 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way from airport

Train fare varies on time of day and route used.

early am arrival could easily be in the close to $70 range if traffic goes pear shaped, such as this am with an accident on southern cross drive. I'd usually say about $60 max

Mor ing on the train with full luggage can also be an issue as it isn't luggage friendly, just a regular commuter.

Shepparton, vic...
Level Contributor
13 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way from airport

The airport to CBD train is $15.40 adult each way. Google the sydney cityrail or sydney airport link see closest station (Wynard) to get a taxii. If you are arriving during the day it is only a 10-15 min wallk. I walked this area last week, it is very straight forward, have a look at the google map on Lord Nelson website. I would say it is safe to walk by yourself, lots of people walking in this area.

Hope this helps.

Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way from airport

I've stayed in the rocks many times and come from the airport. It is cheaper for the train, unless there are a couple of you. I did ponder last time when I was travelling with my two kids why I took the train v's taxi as taxi would have been cheaper as there were three of us.

Lou

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way from airport

what about the door to door bus eg outside the airport and they drop you at the front door of your hotel.

I am going to Sydney tomorrow but arriving late so will not take the bus. Think it is about $20. Might be more.

I am staying on the edge of the city - Sussex St.