We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in Sydney around August... thick jacket required?

Penang
Level Contributor
2 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in Sydney around August... thick jacket required?

I'm planning to visit Sydney between the middle to the end of August this year with my 18 month toddler and am wondering if a padded jacket may be over doing it for the little one?

Or a simple fleece pull over is sufficient for her?

I see on wikitravel that the weather between the winter months (June to Aug) rarely drops below 14 deg C. But the former mentioned above I guess would help against any windy days.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in Sydney around August... thick jacket required?

mornings and evening can be cold, august mean min temp is 9C but the apparent temp can be much colder esp for someone from the tropics.

then there is the windchill factor.

bring layers, as it warms up during the day take them off then put them back on as the temp drops.

Edited: 06 June 2012, 06:35
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,124 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in Sydney around August... thick jacket required?

August is one of our windiest months so that can bring added coldness. I would have a thick jacket for the little one and yourselves.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,184 posts
1,433 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in Sydney around August... thick jacket required?

definitely bring a warm jacket plus scarf as the winds can be chilly. However; we do have some beautiful crisp sunny days too in August.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in Sydney around August... thick jacket required?

Definitely wear layers of clothing that you can easily take on and off. As everybody mentioned, the wind chill factor can be an issue especially if you will be visiting the Opera House area and Darling Harbour as you will be out in open spaces. However, inside the restaurants can be pretty warm so you might need to shed off some clothing.

I always bring a jacket, a scarf and a beanie especially if I will be strolling out at night. I grew up in a tropical climate so the cold gets to me. Nothing worse than cutting your sightseeing short just because it got too cold. Come prepared.

Penang
Level Contributor
2 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in Sydney around August... thick jacket required?

Hello everyone, thanks for responding and I appreciate your efforts!

6. Re: Weather in Sydney around August... thick jacket required?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 19:15