We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney Harbour on NYE

Hamburg, Germany
1 post
Save Topic
Sydney Harbour on NYE

We are a family of 6 including 2 children. We are scheduled to arrive at Sydney on 31st Dec at 1715 hrs from Ayers Rock and will check in at the Courtyard by Marriott.

We would like to have a personal guide ( local from Sydney who is well conversant with the harbour area ) who can meet us at our hotel at 2100 hrs and take us to the Sydney harbour to view the fire works after which to drop us back at the hotel, using public transport.

Any suggestions with contact details?

M

Hamburg, Germany

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,139 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney Harbour on NYE

Sorry but I have not heard of such a service. All I can suggest is you head to the harbour by foot (most roads will be closed by that time) with the rest of the crowd (& it will be very, very crowded) & get as close as you can.

Further NYE info tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255060-i122-k5…

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney Harbour on NYE

From what I can see your choice of hotel puts you in North Ryde, quite some distance from the centre of Sydney. Public transport, or any travel on the roads will be slow at that time. There is normally a fireworks display at 9pm and another at midnight. As Mia suggests, once you get into town just find your way to the harbours edge or you could head to the Parramatta River which is a lot closer to North Ryde and see the fireworks from there. The usual thing is to have different firing points in the main harbour and then along the Parramatta River as well.

Greg

Edited: 19 June 2012, 23:56
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney Harbour on NYE

I can't help you with a guide - I don't even know if such a service exists in Sydney.

However, your hotel is only 500 metres walk from Macquarie Park railway Station from where you can take the train directly into the city for NYE celebrations - just get off the train at Wynyard and follow the crowds.

Alternatively, you can take the 506 bus from Macquarie Park to Boronia Park, Hunters Hill. There are free shuttle bus services on NYE from there to Woolwich Point which is an excellent vantage point from which to view the fireworks.

I'm not sure why you have chosen to stay at the Marriot in N Ryde. The hotel services business travelers visiting Macquarie University and the commercial and industrial park around it.

The only feature of interest to a tourist in the area may be it's proximity to Lane Cove National Park. There is a large shopping mall nearby - Macquarie Centre and that's about all.

Choices of restaurants are limited. Over the Xmas/New Year period, the offices and factories will be closed and the whole area is quite deserted. It's fine as a last resort hotel for people who have not made timely reservations and come December they are willing to stay anywhere in Sydney. At this time of the year, I am sure you could find something closer to the city centre.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,139 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydney Harbour on NYE

Oops sorry I thought you were staying at the Marriott near Hyde Park in the city!

It will take a while to get in by public transport from North Ryde as advised above, so be prepared to be patient with the huge crowds.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,195 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sydney Harbour on NYE

This link might help: www.toursbylocals.com/Sydney-Tours…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
283 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sydney Harbour on NYE

I would also get in contact with your hotel and put the concierge to work. If there is such a personalised tour service as you are wanting the concierge of a good hotel would know about it.

7. Re: Sydney Harbour on NYE

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 05:40