We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6D5N Trip Review

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
217 posts
451 reviews
Save Topic
6D5N Trip Review

Many thanks to those who have helped with my queries previously.

Day 1 (Tuesday)

Bondi to Coogee Beach Coastal Walk

Day 2 (Wednesday)

Blue Mountains Tour

Day 3 (Thursday)

The Opera House to the Botanic Gardens Walk

The Rocks

Queen Victoria Building, Westfield Sydney

Day 4 (Friday)

Paddy's Market

The Rocks Foodies Market

Darling Harbour

Manly Beach

Day 5 (Saturday)

Port Stephens Tour

Darling Harbour Fireworks

Day 6 (Sunday)

Chinatown

Was disappointed that we couldn't visit paddington markets and sydney fish market due to some changes in schedule. wanted to visit the fish market on the last day but was notified that it only opens at 9.30 on sundays.

overall a pleasant trip, but shops open way too late for tourists, and you may find that you have too little to do in the morning, except for walks in the botanic gardens

Mentioned in this post
Westfield Sydney
Westfield Sydney
345 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Darling Harbour
Darling Harbour
9,290 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
17,004 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6D5N Trip Review

What did you do at Darling Harbour, surprised you did it on the same day as going to Manly (by ferry?)?

Mentioned in this post
Darling Harbour
Darling Harbour
9,290 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,190 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6D5N Trip Review

Which tours did you do to the BM's & Port Stephens? Would you recommend them to others?

Also, which shops did you find opened "way too late"?

Edited: 24 June 2012, 22:24
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,922 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6D5N Trip Review

AFAIK, most shops open by 9am - what time does the OP suggest shops open? Our local BigW was opening 24 hours a day (as a trial) not too long ago but it didn't last long because most of the time (at night) there were more staff in the store than customers. I called in about 11pm one night on the way home, to buy some dog food. It was quite eerie and not altogether a pleasant experience, imho. They also had to hire 2 security guards to stand at the entrance, which only added to the store's overheads. I can see why the concept didn't last.

I think, as a general rule, 8.30 or 9am to 5 or 5.30pm is quite sufficient, especially considering we also have late night shopping one night per week and most shops also open 7 days a week. If residents, most of whom are also working, can fit their shopping in to those hours, surely tourists who have all their time to themselves can cope ;-)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,126 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6D5N Trip Review

Possibly Sunday when shops don't open till 10?

But IME shops in Asia in general don;t open until 10 most days e.g. Ngee Ann City with Takashimaya..

Fish market opens late because it's only the food outlets no seafood auction AFAIK on a Sunday.. not too many down there for breakfast..

Mentioned in this post
Asia
Asia
World
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
217 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6D5N Trip Review

Hi Mia, i would recommend Sydney Tours R Us for Blue Mountains tour - small group of about 12 people. As for Port Stephens i did APT. Large tour group, i guess it would be the same for GrayLine, AATKings and other large operators.

I suppose in general, as most shops were still not open at 9.30am when we roamed around on our last day..and although stated that they open at 9am, the stalls at paddy's weren't fully open till around 10.30-11am. same for the fish market, luckily we didnt travel there at 7am (we planned to) on our last day. so it's difficult to follow your own itinerary, as they don't open on time..

Hi Marmalade, I could only afford shopping on late night Thursday as I couldnt fit in on other days. It would be good if shops were open till 9pm daily though! but i guess people live far away from the city centre and need time to travel home? that's why shops close earlier on other days.

Hi Guruswife, you are right, shopping malls in Singapore don't open till 10.30/11. But our malls close at 10pm/10.30pm, so there's plenty of shopping to do even at night after dinner time. so tourists would be able to do sightseeing in the morn/afternoon, and still be occupied at night. Yeah, I was dissapointed when the hotel reception told me that, if I had known earlier, I would have arranged the fish market on another day. So people planning their itinerary should find out what time they really open, instead of relying on the fish market website..

Mentioned in this post
Blue Mountains
Blue Mountains
New South Wales, Australia
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
217 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6D5N Trip Review

Hi MacKnee, I went to darling harbour for a short walk as it was near paddy's market and the stalls were not open yet when I reached. I think that it's better to go Manly in the day and return at sunset for the view, but our itinerary did not permit it, so basically we only spent 2hrs+ at Manly. Didn't feel that we've missed out much though, as we've gone to Bondi Beach on the first day, and the beach and coastal walk offered fantastic views..

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,126 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6D5N Trip Review

I think the big difference and we've noted this on TRs before is that most shops don;t benefit from being open later at night. Don't have the popn base to justify being open such long hours.

we are not really a shopping culture more of an outdoors lifestyle..

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
17,004 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6D5N Trip Review

Thanks for your feedback jellybellymelly, and I hope discussion of some of these details might help others. I have to admit being surprised by the impression this comment gives that a city like Sydney has little to offer tourists until after lunch.

>>overall a pleasant trip, but shops open way too late for tourists, and you may find that you have too little to do in the morning, except for walks in the botanic gardens<<

Regarding Darling Harbour specifically, as I said, I was surprised you did it on the same day as Manly. If you just did a "short walk" it seems you didn't actually visit any of the attractions. To me, there would be plenty of places within the Darling Harbour area, and elsewhere, which could occupy a visitor from about 9.30 till lunchtime, without having to resort to wandering around parks and gardens waiting for something to open. I guess 9.30 or 10 isn't very early but IMO it fits in okay with a leisurely holiday breakfast. Btw I remember the Botanic Gardens has gates, I might be wrong or things might have changed but I thought they have certain opening hours?

Mentioned in this post
Darling Harbour
Darling Harbour
9,290 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
217 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 6D5N Trip Review

Hi Guruswife, i am not really into shopping in sydney but more of the scenery, so shopping is secondary and something to do at night, since it gets dark so early during winter. But overall we've enjoyed ourselves and witnessed the beautiful sights of sydney. Loved bondi beach coastal walk most.

Hi Macknee, this is only my experience over a very short 6d5n in sydney, I would say that of the city center itself, where most shops are located and for people who would prefer shopping. But im sure one could spend a good whole morning and perhaps a day trip to Bondi/Manly.

Yeah, we are aware of the wildlife park, aquarium, madame tussauds located at darling harbour, but our tours cover wildlife parks and marine animals, so we weren't that interested, just liked to see how darling harbour is like in the day and went to the harbourside restaurants area and crossed the pyrmont bridge. Before the trip I was advised on this forum that darling harbour is as beautifiul in the day as at night, so we thought that it'll be good to experience both.

you are right, botanic gardens open from 7am to 5pm, which is why I suggested that people who wake up early could spend some time there in the morning.

P.S: please don't get me wrong, I would just like to point out to the others how certain attractions such as the fish market and paddy's market may start operating much later than their official timings stated on the web, and as such one may be left with little to do in the morning should they plan accordingly (e.g. i went to paddy's at 9 when most stalls opened at around 10.30, planned 2 hrs in the morning for fish market but couldnt go in the end because they do not open as early)

australia
Level Contributor
460 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 6D5N Trip Review

Jellybellymel,

It is certainly a fair comment for others to plan their day.

Glad you enjoyed your holiday.