We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels with the best harbour views

Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
Save Topic
Hotels with the best harbour views

I will be in Sydney for 2 nights in mid-late August with a Sydney first timer. I am looking for a romantic hotel or appartment with a classic sydney water view close to Circular Quay or The Rocks.. Happy to spend around $300-$350 per night, but prepared to pay more for something special.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of the Shangri La or Four Points.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
10,741 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels with the best harbour views

Park Hyatt.

Mentioned in this post
Park Hyatt Sydney
Park Hyatt Sydney
2,739 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Wiltshire
Level Contributor
305 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels with the best harbour views

Quite a lot more than the quoted price range though, isnt it?

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
10,741 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels with the best harbour views

Yes, but the OP said he was willing to go higher for something special. The Park Hyatt is something special. No other hotel equals its setting and view.

Mentioned in this post
Park Hyatt Sydney
Park Hyatt Sydney
2,739 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Greer, South...
Level Contributor
50 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels with the best harbour views

Sebel Pier One gets my vote..... We were there this past Feb. Great place to stay right over the water. Close to everything you mentioned.

Mentioned in this post
The Sebel Pier One
The Sebel Pier One
66 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels with the best harbour views

I looked at the Park Hyatt but it is a bit too far out of the budget. Great hotel though!! My girlfriend likes the look of the Shangri La. Does anyone know whether the views are better from the Opera House rooms or Darling Harbour?

I usually stay at the Raddison Blu for business and the rooms are great, even if no view, with perfect location. The Shangri La's rooms look a little dated, or am I wrong?

The Quay Grand or Quay West suites are my other options after the Shangri La but not sure if they are as central.

Mentioned in this post
Park Hyatt Sydney
Park Hyatt Sydney
2,739 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Darling Harbour
Darling Harbour
9,294 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
288 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels with the best harbour views

I stayed at the shangri la last year, the views are great but definitely go for an opera room, we had an opera city which really only gave a small view of opera house & main part of the harbour - no bridge. The rooms are a bit dated but prob ok for the money. Tell them if it's a special occasion you might be lucky enough to get a room upgrade as we did

I have stayed at park Hyatt too and if you can stretch the budget at all it's definitely worth the extra.

Another to consider would be the four seasons although I haven't been there in a while so it may well also be dated. Haven't stayed at the Quay ones so can't advise on those.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels with the best harbour views

Darling Harbour is in the opposite direction to the SOH, Bridge and Sydney Harbour.

Four Seasons, Park Hyatt, Shangri La and Intercontinential all have Harbour/Opera House views - but you need to speak with the hotel to ensure your room has one, as obviously, not all rooms do.

Quay Grand would most likely have Opera House OR Bridge View, as it's in the "Toaster" Building which runs perpendicular to the harbour. I don't think it runs all the way to the harbour end of the building.

Quay West, is still in a good location and may have a better chance of seeing both Bridge and Opera House. It's probably 5 minutes' walk to Circular Quay, whereas the others are more or less within Circular Quay precinct.

Mentioned in this post
Darling Harbour
Darling Harbour
9,294 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Park Hyatt Sydney
Park Hyatt Sydney
2,739 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels with the best harbour views

If budget is a concern, you'll find that any room with a harbor view is going to be more expensive than one without even within the same hotel

Unless you get a special deal, I'm not sure that any of the hotels mentioned would be offering a room with a harbor view for $350. Just having a quick look, 4 seasons with full harbor view is about $100 more expensive than city view and starts at around $450 a night.

If you are willing to compromise somewhat on location, then slip across the Bridge to North Sydney and have a look at the North Sydney Harbourview Hotel. They have rooms with harbor views for about half what you would pay at Circular Quay and the hotel is right above North Sydney Station so just 2 stops to the city.

You might also want to look at the Harbourside Apartments at McMahons Point - which is a short ferry ride to Circular Quay.

Edited: 04 July 2012, 02:18
Australia
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels with the best harbour views

+1 for the Quay West Suites if u can get the room at the right $.

I stayed here in a 1BR once n man it was spectacular! How about the living room facing the Opera House and the bedroom facing the Harbour Bridge....think that apartment was 450 tho....

Mentioned in this post
Quay West Suites Sydney
Quay West Suites Sydney
1,400 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels with the best harbour views

Thanks Guys

Some great ideas, thanks guys.

I've upped my budget to $450/night and now have to decide between the Shangri La (Executive Grand Harbour View Room) or the Quay West 1 bedroom. We won't be cooking, so don't need the kitchen in Quay West. Both look great.