We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Son studying abroad - suggestions for economical excursions

morganville nj
Level Contributor
15 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Son studying abroad - suggestions for economical excursions

My son is studying at Univ. of Sydney through the end of November. As he and his friends are students on a budget, can anyone recommend economical excursions they can take from Sydney? Any suggestions for "hidden gems", or places you think college aged folks should see in the surrounding areas of Sydney? Of course, they would love to see the Great Barrier Reef and New Zealand (to snowboard) but is cost prohibitive?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Son studying abroad - suggestions for economical excursions

I'd suggest he look to the local student association and student sport groups to see if there are any student expeditions to various snow centres planned this winter. These sorts of associations also can suggest things for him and his friends to do that are "student" oriented, such as trips to the Jenolan Caves and various other places that are from a day trip to a 4-5 days venture away from Sydney.

Only you can tell us if the cost is prohibitive to do a particular trip, do you have a budget? I've heard it said when I was a uni student a gazillion years ago, and a few times since then, that it is cheaper to go ski New Zealand than to do so in Australia.

If he/they use advance purchase cheap airfares and hostels (which abound in Cairns I hear) they can do quite cheap trips up to the reef, though going out on the reef can be expensive for everyone.

So there are a few starter suggestions :-)

Cheerz Wabster.

Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Son studying abroad - suggestions for economical excursions

Get them to sign-up to email newsletters with different airlines like Jetstar, Virgin Australia, Tiger, and Qantas, so they can keep up to date with deals relating to domestic flights (or get them to 'like' these airlines on Facebook, etc.). Jetstar and Tiger will be the cheapest options usually, as these are budget airlines (but, you will always hear of complaints/bad experiences, so, hopefully, they are flexible ... I have no problems with either airlines, but, some here do).

For the snow, they should look at packages with Murrays and Greyhound or they can go via Canberra with these two coaches (and Transborder too, if going from Canberra), but, I agree with looking at snowsports associations at the Uni.

They can also sign up for a site like Travelzoo - www.travelzoo.com.au which will email them with top 20 deals of the week (usually covering all sorts of things like hotels, airfares, cruises, etc.). Not all will be relevant to them, but, will keep them alert of possible good deals.

Are they able to drive? If they are, they could do some day trips to the coast.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
1,184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Son studying abroad - suggestions for economical excursions

My son at sydney has gone up the coast with a friends at the univ that have a car and have rented a cottage and gone surfing. The cost is quite low among the 6-8 of them (except for the beer) because they cook meals as a group, he had never surfed before but loves it now, besides while in oz one should surf. He rented a board.

I was actually looking at flights to NZ (now i was looking at february) and they are very cheap from sydney. I guess if he cannot afford it i would consider an early christmas present (I hope my son is not reading this) say with airfare, he will never be that close to NZ again or be able to get there that cheaply. I would post on NZ to see if he can do that cheaply.

If he likes hiking mine went to Tasmania and hiked on a wilderness trail hut to hut in June, at that time no one was on the trail. again a flight but no other real costs.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,512 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Son studying abroad - suggestions for economical excursions

Webster gives great advice, and I'm gonna get skewered here but ....here goes...

I'm figuring if he is old enough to study aborad he's old enough to make some friends and sort his own holiday adventures.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,139 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Son studying abroad - suggestions for economical excursions

Not from me you wont! I agree totally!

morganville nj
Level Contributor
15 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Son studying abroad - suggestions for economical excursions

Thank you so much. I will pass this info on to him. Cheers to you as well!

morganville nj
Level Contributor
15 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Son studying abroad - suggestions for economical excursions

Thanks for taking the time. I will pass this along to him.

morganville nj
Level Contributor
15 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Son studying abroad - suggestions for economical excursions

You are absolutely right! He and his housemates are seeking out information from the university, but being the "helicopter mom" I am (even halfway across the world) I thought it wouldn't hurt to go to the experts on TripAdivsor for something they may have missed. I have benefited myself from local experts' advice numerous times, and thought I would go straight to the source!

So, "skewered", not at all (thought I do love the expression)!

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,512 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Son studying abroad - suggestions for economical excursions

Mar408 ... you're a good sport!

Why not let him do some research for you and then when he heads back to the other side of the Pacific you can come down for your own visit. Though I'll bet he doesn't tell you all the details of all his Aussie adventures :-)

cheers

helen

morganville nj
Level Contributor
15 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Son studying abroad - suggestions for economical excursions

Everyone I know who has visited Sydney has told me the same thing; that I should visit myself, just not sure if I can survive that plane ride! It sounds amazing!