We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Barangaroo Wharf 5 to Sydney Domestic Terminal

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
5,857 posts
484 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from Barangaroo Wharf 5 to Sydney Domestic Terminal

Will arrive at Barangaroo Wharf 5 on Friday at 7 a.m. on Ocean Princess with approx 600 pax and am scheduled for departure from Sydney Domestic terminal at 12:50 p.m. Four questions, please: 1), how long usually to get through immigration (US Passport), 2) are taxis readily available at that time, and 3) approx how long does Qantas check in take for a domestic flight (Adelaide)? 4) Any real issues in the process?

Thanks in advance for your response!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,844 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Barangaroo Wharf 5 to Sydney Domestic Terminal

You can check in online for Q domestic and do bag drop, you need to drop the bag at least 45 minutes before. If you don't cheek in online takes a few minutes usually then about 5 to do the drop thing. There are plenty of self service counters.

Can't help on the immi at Bangaroo, haven't done it.

Taxis are usually plenty available. Timing should be fine

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
5,857 posts
484 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Barangaroo Wharf 5 to Sydney Domestic Terminal

Thanks! My wife and I will drop several bags in storage as we are doing The Ghan from Adelaide to Alice Springs, flying to Cairns and back to Sydney about 10 days later and don't need the fancy boat clothing while in those places. Seeing that you also do Uluru-Kata Tjuta NP, I have a follow on question about that location so I presume that I can hijack my own thread for another subject?

We will be in Uluru and Cairns early to mid April and are presuming that we will have hot days and warm nights. Are these areas mostly casual clothing? Shorts? Do we need hiking boots or will tennis/walking shoes be suitable?

Thanks for your response.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,844 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Barangaroo Wharf 5 to Sydney Domestic Terminal

I donut take my hiking boots but I do take an old pair of trainers that I can toss after because the red dust just gets in so badly for Uluru

It will still be quite cool by night (desert so if no cloud cover temps drop quite rapidly) .Shorts by day and long pants for SOS.

Cairns will definitely be humid days and warm nights, definitely shorts! Yes both casual clothing (in fact even in Sydney/Melbourne it's not overly common to see men in sports jackets at a meal)

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
5,857 posts
484 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Barangaroo Wharf 5 to Sydney Domestic Terminal

Thanks very much for the info about the dust. I am also a photographer and so will make certain that I have the right protection to help deal with dust. Same with a pair of old walkers to toss. We will have the right dress for Sydney on our return and collection of our stored bags. We will be there for four days to include one day in Thirroul to visit a business associate.

Another question, is a rental car the best way to get down to Thirroul for a day?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,761 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Barangaroo Wharf 5 to Sydney Domestic Terminal

Just picking up on your last question - you could take a train, but it's a particularly nice drive down the South Coast, if you take the road through the Royal National Park and the seacliff bridge.

http://goo.gl/maps/E3hiR

I use Bayswater Rental Cars at William Street - great cars, good rates, lowest CDW waiver in the business and excellent access from their depot to major roads out of the city

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,844 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Barangaroo Wharf 5 to Sydney Domestic Terminal

Yes definitely.

If you have time try the Grand Pacific Drive and come back via Sublime Point. If pushed for time perhaps head int the drive at Helensburgh (best way in anyway IMHO) so at least you het sea cliff bridge bit

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
5,857 posts
484 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from Barangaroo Wharf 5 to Sydney Domestic Terminal

Thanks to all for your prompt responses! I have one more question regarding flights.

We will fly from Sydney to Queenstown on our depature from Australia. In the US, we are accustomed to being at the airport three hours before flight and wonder if that is the same standard for the above ref flight.

We have a 10 a.m. flight. Please advise if we should be there by 7 a.m. or ?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,844 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from Barangaroo Wharf 5 to Sydney Domestic Terminal

Yep I would be there around 7am ish, no not before though.. I am assuming it is Queenstown NZ.

The airport is fairly busy first thing in the morning. (Assuming you are still on Qantas)

it isn't as slow in any way near LA.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
5,857 posts
484 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from Barangaroo Wharf 5 to Sydney Domestic Terminal

Thanks, meant to note that we are on Air New Zealand from Sydney to NZ. We are staying at the Holiday Inn Darling Harbour which appears to be reasonably close for drive time. And certainly not like LAX for us!

Thanks for your prompt responses. We will likely have a few more and will let you know when we post again.

Les.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,844 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting from Barangaroo Wharf 5 to Sydney Domestic Terminal

OK, IME Air NZ are a little quicker than Q (not so many flights).

Have you purchased extra luggage? They are very strict and do weigh and tag most hand luggage at check in.