We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avis Australia Car Hire Upgrades - does it happen?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
242 reviews
Save Topic
Avis Australia Car Hire Upgrades - does it happen?

I have a discount code to get a 2 car upgrade with Avis but it comes with the condition "subject to availability".

We want a medium size car but with the upgrade code I could book a small car at a big saving.

I would appreciate feedback from people who have recieved upgrades and those who have not.

Only booking the car for 2 days a Tuesday & Wednesday next month.

Just wondering if this is a bit of false advertising???????

Thanks

Pam

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,432 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avis Australia Car Hire Upgrades - does it happen?

I've been free upgraded without any voucher with avis,

I think if you join their preferred customer thing (free) you might get abetter chance

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,492 posts
1,583 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avis Australia Car Hire Upgrades - does it happen?

We also have had an upgrade with Avis...it does happen.. as G/W mentioned look into joining AVIS FIRST.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avis Australia Car Hire Upgrades - does it happen?

We don't use Avis very often, but whenever we do we seem to get a free upgrade - sometimes not always appreciated. Like the time they upgraded us from Economy car to some super sporty, low slung Ford which caused hoons all over Adelaide to want to take us on at every set of lights. It was such a gas guzzler it ended up costing us a fortune in petrol as well. So be careful what you wish for.........

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avis Australia Car Hire Upgrades - does it happen?

Hi Pamies,

We use Avis every time, In the past 18 months with around 7 rentals we've have only had one rental that we didn't get upgraded, so I would say yes, and as stated above we are preferred customers. We didn't join the preferred customers for any upgrades, just the ease of arriving at the airport and walking straight to our vehicle, without waiting for checking in.

Safe travels - Robert

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,558 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avis Australia Car Hire Upgrades - does it happen?

I joined the preferred programme for the same reason as Rob, and had a similar unwanted upgrade as evemelb recently. That was in Denver so it should not count, but an upgrade from a Chev (Holden) Cruze to a Jeep Liberty was not appreciated due to fuel economy and the size of the vehicle.

The key words are "Subject to availability."

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avis Australia Car Hire Upgrades - does it happen?

Thanks everyone and for the tip about joining their membership program.

I presume it is the 'My Avis' program.

What is the Wizard number?????

Cheers

Pam

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,432 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avis Australia Car Hire Upgrades - does it happen?

the number you get to put in my program is avis preferred

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,758 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avis Australia Car Hire Upgrades - does it happen?

I have always got an upgrade, even when I wasn't an AVIS preferred customer. I actually complained, in writing, 3 hires ago as I specifically wanted a small car as where I was staying had a very tiny parking bay. I requested a Getz and got an X Trail...No response to my "reverse complaint"except for the next visit I was upgraded to a Camry...sigh...

Funny thing is, OH is also AP but rarely gets an upgrade but would love it!

Edited: 08 August 2012, 00:06
9. Re: Avis Australia Car Hire Upgrades - does it happen?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 09:17