We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Congratulations Sydney

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,063 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Congratulations Sydney

Before I get into what I want to say, let me give you some background about where I have lived.

I grew up in Melbourne, but moved to Sydney, due to work, when I was 24 years old. I remained there, on and off, for the better part of 20 years. I moved back to Melbourne in 2003, but still have friends in Sydney and consider it my "second home". I love both cities.

I was in Sydney for the 2000 Olympics and thought what a great city to stage this event. Before the games, the city spent millions of dollars, amongst other things, on "beautifying" the city and surrounds. Sydney not only looked great, but staged a great event.

But something happened after the games. I noticed a slow decline in the appearance of the city. It seemed that Sydney had spent all its energy (and money) on the games and there was nothing left after. There was no one particular thing, but I did notice a decline in appearance of public areas. Footpaths needed repairing, roads surfaces were in decline, Pitt Street Mall was in dire need of a facelift, Circular Quay was dirty and unattractive..............the general appearance of the city needed a real spruce up.

It was two years later in 2005, I returned to Sydney and noticed that the city was even worse than when I left. It was disappointing to see Sydney in this state and I made comments about it on another forum.

In the last 12 months I have been to Sydney on numerous occasions - most recently last week. And what a magnificient change I have noticed in the last year!! The city is once again looking great. It's as if the entire city has been given a good clean out. Pitt St mall is again looking good since the re-devolpment of Westfield, footpaths have been repaired and cleaned, Circular Quay has had a (minor) face lift, World Square has brought live to the west end of the city...........the list goes on.

Last week I really enjoyed my time walking around the city thinking that once again, this is a beautiful city!!

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,760 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Congratulations Sydney

Interesting post :)

I've just moved from the UK to Sydney, and have settled in Rhodes, which is right beside the Olympic park. There is loads of development going on here, with hundreds of residential units, a business park and a fabulous mall. It is a lovely area, nestled beside the Parramatta River. I've been told the area was pretty run down a decade ago, so well done Sydney, indeed!

Abs :)

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,555 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Congratulations Sydney

When the sun comes out, the sky is blue and there's a hint of summer in the air, Sydney always looks great!

I always find the difference between the two cities greatest at this time of the year. While Melbourne is still hunkered down in the depths of winter, Sydney is at it's best with spring flowers and blossoms on the trees.

saw the first Jasmine flowers a week ago, flowering plums out in bloom and natives everywhere starting to show their color while the local bird life is starting to jockey for the best nesting sites. Where I live, it's Currawongs vs Noisy Miners vs Magpies vs lorikeets. So far, the Noisy Miners are winning ganging up on all comers.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,063 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Congratulations Sydney

Actually Eva, you have raised a good point. I also think the breaking of the drought has helped enormously. Everything looks bright and green and there are so many flowers and blossoms out.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,410 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Congratulations Sydney

There can be no more beautiful city in Autumn than Melbourne.

It always makes me think of the line from "Camelot". "If ever I would leave you, it wouldn't be in Autumn ...." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lN_ARlru_w

I'm a Sydneyite currently and love it (lookng at a millpond ocean as I write), but the OP is right. Immediately after the Olympics, we were looking pretty scraggy in the CBD. The "Emerald City" is sparkling again now.

But still ... Melbourne does have the 4 seasons. As does Adelaide.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,163 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Congratulations Sydney

I remember the days of the 2000 Olympics. The city was alive, the transport ran so well, everything was clean and everyone was so excited about hosting the Games. I remember after it ended just about everyone said we should host it every time because it everyone enjoyed it so much and it made Sydney look great.

After that there was a bit of a doldrums in Olympic Park. It was a ghost town unless a big event was on at the stadium. Now it is becoming alive again with new units, new hotels, extra shops and restaurants. I used to work in the area and saw a big change just in the last 3-5 years.

I also agree that this time of year makes the city look so much nicer. And particularly if the sun is shining. The harbour and beaches sparkle.

Edited: 21 August 2012, 06:23
Singapore
Level Contributor
228 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Congratulations Sydney

Off the topic,can I check whats the weather in Sydney now?Cause I checked last week & it was about 12degrees,today I checked again & went up to 17degrees?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,163 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Congratulations Sydney

This shows what Sydney and suburbs are right now. Look at the top three for the city itself.

www.bom.gov.au/nsw/observations/sydney.shtml

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Congratulations Sydney

dont be fooled applerain there is sure to be at least one more wintery blast before spring settles in.

Singapore
Level Contributor
228 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Congratulations Sydney

Sure to bring along a jacket or two,thanks all !!

Singapore
Level Contributor
228 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Congratulations Sydney

Saw the news yesterday that Sydney is now 26degrees !! Crap,was hoping for a bit of cold,can keep my boots already :(