We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney 2012 Highs n Lows

Level Contributor
5 posts
171 reviews
Save Topic
Sydney 2012 Highs n Lows

We are visiting from Ireland and have found Sydney an absolute JOY. What a city! The weather's been kind with little rain, warm temps (given it's still winter) and loads of sunshine.

Love the parks, the views, Botanical Gardens, Harbour Cruise, free walking tour, bus service, the ANZ Stadium, Rozelle and Balmain, friendly / personal service in most bars and restaurants .... these are the highs.

Lows are few and main one has to be cost. Almost everything seems expensive and some items just exorbitant; $22 charge for a 2 litre tankard of beer in a street side cafe in The Rocks. Thankfully that was an unpleasant surprise for some Americans who shared our table. But even stuff in the Supermarket .... The Aussies must earn good money.

Here's some other observations ...

What is it with all the corrugated tin?

Are the media/tv people always so biased? I.e. "one eyed/pro Oz whether that's in Rugby or the Olympics.

Great to see they have Harvey Norman and Home and Away here as well - why should we be the only ones to suffer :-)

I'm Free Walking Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Anderson's Tours - Blue Mountains Day Tour
Walking Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Day Trips
Free Tours Sydney
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Welcome Walking Tours - FREE
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Sydney 2012 Highs n Lows

I think ill take a gamble on dental issues doug and drink my water(filtered and bottled) ...lol... I eat plenty of lettuce so I imagine Im getting some tap water at least on that!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
173 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Sydney 2012 Highs n Lows

There are plenty of places selling bottled water around Sydney cheaper than that. $70 for bottled water for 2 days is crazy when our water tastes fine once it's settled out of the tap for a while!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,411 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Sydney 2012 Highs n Lows

I'm looking forward to trying Sydney water, straight out the tap. I can add it to my list of things to do. Should be fun :)

Thanks for all the info everyone.

mayo
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Sydney 2012 Highs n Lows

hi

did you find 5 nights enough with getting over jetlag, etc. we are flying next June for Honeymoon and undecided yet to do 5 or 6 nights. hoping 5 nights since it is expensive!

uk
Level Contributor
728 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Sydney 2012 Highs n Lows

My daughter went to Sydney to work n backpack for a year - she has said that it is expensive - she has just got an apartment share in Bondi Beach area plus a job to pay for the rent - phewww!

Does anyone know of any cheaper shops in the area - here in the UK we have Herons/Farmfoods (frozen food outlets) - Poundland (toiletries n home goods) - she may be impressed if I furnish her with any info ! lol

Thank you

Jan

England
Level Contributor
4,818 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Sydney 2012 Highs n Lows

Back to what the OP said about costs.

We had a very enjoyable 4 weeks in Oz last year. We did notice that just about everything was expensive relative to what we pay in the UK. Because of this we only bought what we needed. Plus a few excursions. I understand that this is all to do with the exchange rate and australian wages. Sometimes we holiday in countries where it's the other way round, So it's swings and rounabouts. It's like when we watch "wanted down under". The family are initialy down hearted when they find out what a house will cost to buy. But things change when they learn what they can earn when they become a local. There have been times when strines travelling to Europe have suffered economicaly, but now the boots on the other foot. Australia deserves it. It's a great country. Europeans are stuck with the situation and it woukldn't stop me coming back as I love the place.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Sydney 2012 Highs n Lows

Aw shucks, Trickster, that's so noice!

I also thinks that, as with many places, visitors tend to shop where they stay and certainly in Australia those 'touristy areas' are much more expensive. Believe me I don't buy my fruit and veg at the 7/11 in the Rocks!

To brits: there's Aldi almost everywhere now. Places like Paddys Markets are good for fruit and veg. Tell you daughter to explore Bondi Junction - lots of cheap places to be found if you look around - obviously NOT in Westfield!

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Sydney 2012 Highs n Lows

agree eva.

was in bondi on thursday filling in time and doing a bit of window shopping.

seafood prices were double what we pay in ulladulla and meat nearly the same.

our local butch sells filet steak @ $27kg (GBP17.00) would be surprised if u could find that price in the uk

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Sydney 2012 Highs n Lows

Mmmmmm.... Time for me and the Esky to take a drive down the south coast. My local Woolies charges $39/kg for eye fillet.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,692 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Sydney 2012 Highs n Lows

My woolies is $34 for eye fillet... (just checked the emergency )stash in the freezer from last Sunday

The local butcher I use..

onlinebutchersydney.com.au/products/Eye-Fill…

Eva he delivers to lots of places (which is what I use) as well as dropping in.. and it is always top quality...I'm fussy about my meat

Cheaper than a trip to Lien