We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Barrier Reef

Omaha, Nebraska
1 post
Save Topic
Great Barrier Reef

We have 3 days free after a conference in Sydney. We request advice regarding trips to GBR? Also, is a trip to Ayers Rock possible?

Thank you for all suggestions, in advance

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Barrier Reef

u dont say when which is an important factor in deciding.

however the two are not really possible in 3 days......either one or the other.

uluru (ayers rock) can be accessed directly from sydney as can cairns (GBR).

flight time over 3 hours for each.

GBR tours are mostly day tours.

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Barrier Reef

We did Ayers Rock Resort with AAT Kings but I'm sure there are other tour companies. Around three or four hotels there to choose from (we went for Outback Pioneer) and stayed for three night

but two nights would have been enough.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,302 posts
1,480 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Barrier Reef

Hi,

Uluru is the your best option for a 3 day getaway as its ideal for seeing all the attractions in a short duration. Cairns region definitely needs more than 3 days as its a huge area to explore with a surplus of attractions.

For additional info on Uluru read the link below.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i17672-Uluru_Ng…

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,659 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Barrier Reef

What is your budget? As mentioned, you will have to fly either way and I agree that the Red Centre probably lends itself better to such a short trip. You can fly directly into the resort town or Yulara and book tours from there.

discoveraustralia.com.au/northern_territory/…

You are heading into another time zone for this trip. Its not a short distance.

If you are looking for something more local there are many good options within an easy drive or a short train trip from Sydney.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,773 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great Barrier Reef

Time of year is very important...

Uluru can be 40 and above C in the summer months (January/Feb), and Cairns has a wet season complete with the possibility of cyclones. That happens in January and February as well. It is also stinger season then.

Please do let us know the time of year this conference is.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,659 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great Barrier Reef

As an aside, some friends of mine went to a conference in Sydney last year and were talking with me about where they might go for a few days after the conference.

"We were thinking about going to the reef" said they.

"You do realize that's like visiting Vancouver and doing a side trip to Winnipeg?" said I.

Eyes bug out, jaws drop. "Oh! We had no idea it was that far."

They ended up with a lovely few days in the Hunter Valley.

7. Re: Great Barrier Reef

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2013, 10:17