We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

Dallas,TX
Level Contributor
84 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report

I recently visited Sydney with my family (2 adults and 4 small children) and we had a memorable 5 day trip.

Here is a summary of our trip:

Day 1 - landed in SYD after a red-eye flight from Kuala Lumpur. My 7 yr old son had developed infection in his finger so I took him to medical facility in the airport and then we headed to our hostel - YHA at the harbor. We spent rest of the day exploring rocks.

Day 2 - We bought Taronga zoo pass from Circular Quay and took ferry to the zoo. The zoo is good but as not good as other zoos that have been to. The best part was watching two tigers horsing around. The zoo has amazing harbor views though.

Day 3 - Took 555 bus from circular quay to Darling Harbour. Kids enjoyed Sydney Aquarium but my 1 year old threw a major tantrum so we had to leave prematurely. Next we went to Australian Maritime museum. Since it was Thursday, the entrance was free. The museum is very good and our kids had lot of fun there. Chinese friendship gardens didn't look interesting for kids so we skipped and instead let kids enjoy the adjacent playground.

Day 4 - Walked to Sydney opera house and enjoyed a stroll in the botanical gardens. After lunch, we took ferry to Manly. Kids had fun playing in the beach and chasing the sea gulls. We had pizza and kebabs on the beach before heading back to Circular Quay.

Day 5 - Took train to Blue Mountains. We had purchased a blue mountain explorer link tickets that covered both the train ride to Katoomba as well explorer bus in Katoomba. After visiting the three sisters and other places in the explorer bus, we had fish & chips in one of the local eateries in Katoomba main street. The 2 hour train ride was very enjoyable considering the train was not very full.

Day 6 - Took morning flight back to Kuala Lumpur.

I would say the best part of our trip was interacting with local Sydney residents. I found people to be very friendly and helpful. On several occassions, we had people helping us with directions as soon as they realized we were lost.

I also want to thank the forumites with their helpful suggestions such as where to buy groceries near the rocks and which places to visit.

Few tips for future visitors:

1. Stay at YHA hostel if you want affordable place with easy access to tourist spots. Book family room if you have small kids.

2. If staying in the rocks area use 555 free bus if possible to get around the city center.

3. Buy Sydney Aquarium passes from their online website. It is much cheaper than buying at the door.

4. Do not feed seagulls at Manyl beach...before you know it, you will have 100 seagulls swarming you!!!

I'm Free Walking Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours
Blue Diamond Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Blue Mountains Tours
City Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Bus Tours
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report

You're so right about the seagulls. We call them flying rats!

Great report, thanks for sharing.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report

thanks for the report.

glad u had a good time despite some child wrangling problems.

yes, seagulls and those bloody ibis should all be um, er, ah......discouraged.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report

Ha, ha - yes, I'm sure we've all been caught at some time throwing a few chips to the seagulls - live and learn.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,168 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report

Thank you for the feedback, glad you enjoyed your stay :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,761 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report

Thanks for posting & I'm glad you had a good time. Travelling can be tricky with little kids, can't it? No such thing as a fixed schedule!

Ah yes ... the seagulls. Don't feed them. Don't let your kids chase them.

(Apart from it not being a nice thing to do, I saw a little chap take a nasty tumble on the concrete path while chasing them last weekend.)

Hope you can come back, and if you do - make time for a trip down to Canberra. Just 3 hours' drive and there are so many things for families to do.

Kids absolutely love Questacon. http://www.questacon.edu.au/#canberra

http://www.visitcanberra.com.au/

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,579 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report

Thanks for your TR.

I would have thought your 7 yo would like the Chinese Garden of Friendship - over the years I've seen quite a number of children in there ... all fascinated by the fish and some of the wildlife such as dragon flies etc. Also, it's a great place to play hide and seek so long as they're careful and don't fall into the water or down the rocks.

Griffin, Georgia
Level Contributor
66 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report

Thank you for the trip report and your travel tips. Sorry that your son had a medical need on arrival, but it sounds like it worked out OK and you had a great time.

DW and I plan to be in Sydney in mid February and have a private room reservation at the YHA at the harbor.

What transportation did you use from the Airport to the YHA?

Any good family restaurant suggestions near the YHA?

Did you buy any groceries near the YHA?

Train trip to the Blue Mountains... a 'must do' or 'OK if you have the time'?

Any issues converting USD $ to AUS $? ATMs?

Thank you very much ! ! !

Dallas,TX
Level Contributor
84 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report

Hi suncity ga,

We used Maxi Cab from airport to YHA. However, you can use normal cab if your group has fewer people. There are very few family restaurants in the close vicinity of YHA, you might need to walk about 5 -10 mins to George Street or Alfred Street to find many food options.

There is Woolworths supermarket about 10- 15 mins walk from YHA. You can buy breakfast items and stock them in YHA shared refrigerators. YHA also has kitchen where you can prepare your meals if you want.

I would say BM trip as a must if you have time. Try to go on a sunny clear day to enjoy BM scenery. The hilarious BM explorer bus driver called Charlie was a highlight of our trip. Charlie can pretty much speak any foreign language so it was a treat hearing him converse with tourists from all over the world.

Regarding ATM, I used Westpac ATM at airport to withdraw cash. Westpac has agreement with Bank of America so I did not get charged any ATM withdrawal fees or even the currency conversion fees. I am not sure if other U.S. banks have such agreement with Australian banks.

Griffin, Georgia
Level Contributor
66 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report

Thank you, murada 001. We appreciate the feedback very much ! ! !

We are looking forward to our first visit to Australia and New Zealand.

10. Re: Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 16:18