We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help with Sydney itinerary for 4 days

Pune, India
Level Contributor
165 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Please help with Sydney itinerary for 4 days

We are planning a trip to Australia in late February 2013, and after spending time in Melbourne, GOR, Port Douglas and Uluru, we plan to end our trip in Sydney. We will have 5 nights in Sydney (i.e. 4 full days), before flying home. Here is a tentative itinerary :

Day 1 : Reach Sydney in evening. Probably stay at Lord Nelson Brewery Hotel in Rocks area. No time to do much today.

Day 2 : Botanic Gardens, Macquarie Street, Queen Victoria Building and Strand Arcade in morning. In afternoon, walk across Harbour Bridge, walk around Rocks, and catch an evening performance at the Opera House.

Day 3 : Morning : take ferry to Manly and do the scenic walk to Spit Bridge. Lunch at Manly and return by bus. Afternoon - stroll near Darling Harbour, Sydney Aquarium and Paddy's Market. Dinner at Potts Point, followed by a peek at Kings Cross area.

Day 4 : Day trip to Blue Mountains / Katoomba by train (with Explorer bus at Katoomba).

Day 5 : Paddington Saturday market, followed by lunch at Bondi beach. Afternoon - walk from Bondi to Coogee. Dinner at Surry Hills or somewhere.

Day 6 : Fly back home in morning.

Please advise us on the following :

1. Does the above itinerary sound reasonable, or is it too full on certain days ?

2. What is the best way of transportation around Sydney for the above itinerary ? Should we buy any Multipasses ?

3. Any place which we are missing out on ?

4. Is Kings Cross area safe to wander around on a weekday night ?

LuxCar
Taxis & Shuttles
Flamin' Galah Sydney Tours & Airport Transfers
Private Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Wine Tours & Tastings , Film & TV Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Fantasea Yellow Water Taxis
Ferries, Taxis & Shuttles
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,636 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help with Sydney itinerary for 4 days

Just a comment on the Spit to Manly walk. I'd take a bus to The Spit, walk to Manly, have lunch there and take the ferry back to the city.

The views of the city skyline, Harbour Bridge, Opera House & Botanic Gardens are spectacular from the Manly- Circular Quay ferry.

Take some fruit/ other snack and water. There is only one place, at Clontarf, which is quite close to The Spit, along the walk to buy these.

Allow about 3 1/2 hours & make sure you have hats, sunscreen & sunglasses.

Have a look for "Snodge's" fantastic report on this walk, posted last week.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help with Sydney itinerary for 4 days

It does sound a little busy to me with a lot of walking planned for what is usually our hottest & humid time of year (& rain/storms are common).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
206 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help with Sydney itinerary for 4 days

would not stay at The Rocks. It can be very loud. Lot of drunks. Kent St or that general area is better. much quieter at night

Pune, India
Level Contributor
165 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help with Sydney itinerary for 4 days

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. What about transport pass options ? What would you recommend for our itinerary. Confused with the numerous options available in Sydney.

Is Kings Cross safe for tourists ?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
206 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help with Sydney itinerary for 4 days

Kings Cross is fine. That said Saturday night after midnight is probably not recommended for the faint heated. Re transport - buses require you to pre purchase tickets. Trains can be bought as you wish.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help with Sydney itinerary for 4 days

I wouldn't recommend Kings Cross for tourists, it can get very rough at night, particularly at night. Circular Quay, The Rocks, CBD or Darling Harbour would be much better options.

What is your budget per night for accommodation?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,565 posts
1,601 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help with Sydney itinerary for 4 days

Hi,

There is nothing wrong with the Lord Nelson Hotel except it could get noisy at the weekends. I guess it depends on your age group ??

Others to consider around the same price -

Harbour Rocks Hotel

wotif.com/hotels/harbour-rocks-hotel-sydney-…

The Sebel Hotel

www.wotif.com/hotel/View…

Holiday Inn Old Sydney

www.wotif.com/hotel/View…

Another vote for catching the bus to the Spit & do the walk from there to Manly. Its a long walk & you need to have water & nibbles with you. Also wear good walking shoes. If looking for a shorter walk you could do Manly Beach to Cabbage Tree Bay (Shelley Beach) & have lunch in Manly.

manlyaustralia.com.au/information/what_to_do…

Pune, India
Level Contributor
165 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help with Sydney itinerary for 4 days

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Never realized that the walk from Spit Bridge to Manly would be over 3 hours ! That would be too long for us. How long is the walk from Manly to Cabbage Tree Bay, and is it beautiful ?

And how long is the walk from Bondi to Coogee ?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help with Sydney itinerary for 4 days

Bondi to Coogee is 6km & takes about 2 hours depending on your speed. If it is a hot day allow extra time to stop off for a swim or two.

Port Orchard...
Level Contributor
67 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help with Sydney itinerary for 4 days

I would do kings cross in the daytime...,,I went back in 2009 and had no problems...I was by myself and of course I checked out the "coca-cola" sign....make sure you check that out....,