We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do we think of Ashfields?

London, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What do we think of Ashfields?

Hi,

Can someone share what they think of the suburb of Ashfields as a place to stay.

We’re thinking of booking at Best Westerm, Ashfields. Given its our first time in Australia wondered how the locals view Ashfields in terms of a safe neighbourhood to stay.

Of course I realise there is crime in the safest of suburbs but wondered where Ashfields rates?

Thanks,

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do we think of Ashfields?

why would u, as a tourist, want to stay in the mid west suburbs of sydney in a motel on the horrifically busy parramatta road?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do we think of Ashfields?

Ashfield is a Western Suburb of Sydney. Predominately residential with some Commercial areas. It's as safe as anywhere in Sydney.

The Best Western is on Parramatta Rd which is one of Sydney's busiest and therefore noisiest thoroughfares.

To travel to central Sydney by bus, where all the tourist points of interst are, will take you about 45 minutes.

Edited: 04 October 2012, 23:41
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,131 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do we think of Ashfields?

I wouldn't recommend it at all unless you are desperate for NY??

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,720 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do we think of Ashfields?

I think it would be worthwhile asking a question on this forum for recommendations for a budget kinda hotel in the city.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,135 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do we think of Ashfields?

II know the property and TBH i think you can do way better.

In terms of convenience the bus will deliver you to CQ in about 35-40 mins (about 5-10 minutes less to Darling Harbour or Central Station end of the city)

It will not be convenient for most of the tours or trips you have planned

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,634 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What do we think of Ashfields?

For a first time visit time visitor Ashfield is too far from the central part to stay.

look at a booking site such as www.wotif.com to search for a hotel within your budget (use the map feature to see the location)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What do we think of Ashfields?

True what ppl have said,its an inner west suburb,and a bit of a hike so to speak to the city.There are NO direct buses to CQ,from that point,the closest you will get is Town Hall,unless you want to walk or catch a bus to Ashfield Station(train to city)or walk or bus to Haberfield(2 buses to CQ)

I guess if you get a room near the back of the hotel it wouldnt be to bad,but for any savings you make on the room you will spend on transport.

London, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: What do we think of Ashfields?

Guys, thank you all for your advice, which was no surprise to me.

When booking hotels in Sydney I have found that the prices in CBD to be extremely high, not justified by the quality of service, but more their location. Unless you’re prepared to stay 5* the hotel reviews appear to be pretty bad for many of the other hotels in Sydney.

So I figure why pay more for an average hotel when I can pay less for the same albeit a little further out. Of course there’s the travel and inconvenience to consider but the thought of paying double for a hotel that provides poor service does not make sense to me…just to be walking distance of the main attractions. At least if I book with a half-decent hotel at a reasonable price I feel I get what I pay for and have the choice of how to travel into the centre.

We are still considering whether to hire a car into CBD. Although the costs of parking in CBD are high I can see that there are reduced parking fees for early-bird visitors. Hiring a car also gives us the opportunity to visit many other suburbs with our short time in Sydney.

We may not book with Best Western but I do not wish to be held ransom to extremely high hotel prices in CBD for what I believe is poor-to-average quality.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,131 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What do we think of Ashfields?

How do you know these hotels are poor to average quality? There are some good quality hotels in the city at reasonable prices. How much are you prepared to pay per night? Time of year? Number of nights? How many travelling with you? If you would provide these details we can help you.

I would advise against hiring a car for the days in the city & surrounds, it is expensive, traffic can be really bad & it is easy to get about by walking, public transport & the free city (555) bus. You could hire a car just for the day if travelling to the Blue mountains or other suburbs(which in particular are you thinking of?) not serviced by public transport.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,720 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What do we think of Ashfields?

When you look at the inconvenience of a suburban location, plus the cost of a rental car and parking in the city (both of which are unnecessary for an inner city hotel), the cost of the city hotel looks more reasonable.

I still think it would be worthwhile asking a question on this forum for recommendations for a budget kinda hotel in the city.

Luigi