We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

..how to group together?

London, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Topic
..how to group together?

Hi,

We only have three full days (four nights) to spend in Sydney. I have read the FAQ on must-see places and think I have a good idea where to visit. However, given I am not familiar with Sydney would like to know how best to group these activities to make better use of our days.

Below is a familiar list of places to visit and would be grateful if anyone could suggest how best to group these events together. As you will see, we’re thinking of doing a blue mountains day. Many thanks.

1. I’m free tour – harbour bridge- opera hse - the rocks - botanical gdns - circular quay – ferry to manly - taronga zoo? (Im not saying we can do this in one day but is there anything we’ve missed in this chain?)

2. Blue mountains tour

3. Chinatown – Paddys market – darling harbour- Visit Watsons bay?

Thanks,

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Paddy's Market
Paddy's Market
1,175 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,220 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ..how to group together?

Move Manly & the Zoo out of Day 1 & insert Paddy's Market ( although I can't imagine why anyone would want to go there - it's just a lot of cheap junk) & Sarling Harbour.

You could easily spend 3 hours at the Zoo, so you could have a "ferry day", with a trip to Taronga, another to Manly and if the fast ferry is still running to Warsons Bay, across the Harbour and back to the city from there.

I may be tempted to drop Watsons Bay as you will see some of the inner Harbour on the way to/ from the Zoo.

Just see how you go when you get here.

Edited: 14 October 2012, 01:19
Mentioned in this post
Paddy's Market
Paddy's Market
1,175 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney Harbour
Sydney Harbour
19,080 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
17,065 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ..how to group together?

That's a lot of interesting stuff on Day 1, and I don't know what you're like but I could easily spend half a day at least just on the zoo (including ferry there and back). I too was wondering about Paddy's Market, okay, it seems to interest some people but with very limited time I would have thought going there is not a priority. And Darling Harbour, I asked on another thread recently, what do people understand by Darling Harbour, it's spoken of as a single entity, but to me it's more of a smorgasboard, 'when and how much time' depends on 'what and how many' IMO.

Mentioned in this post
Paddy's Market
Paddy's Market
1,175 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Darling Harbour
Darling Harbour
9,365 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney Harbour
Sydney Harbour
19,080 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ..how to group together?

Watsons bay is the 'odd one out' in the Chinatown/Darling Harbour group. The ferry leaves from Circular Quay - same place as the ferries to the Zoo and Manly.

However, you could add The Powerhouse museum, the Maritime Museum and possibly the Fishmarkets to your Darling Harbour Visit as they are all roughly in the same area.

I suspect you are not going to be able to visit all the places on your list - the Zoo itself can easily take up a full day. You'll need to work out what you can happily leave out and that will be determined by your interests and to some extent, the weather.

Have a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Darling Harbour
Darling Harbour
9,365 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Circular Quay
Circular Quay
3,511 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Powerhouse Museum
Powerhouse Museum
1,062 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney Harbour
Sydney Harbour
19,080 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,220 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ..how to group together?

I've been thinking about Darling Harbour too. You could roll it into a visit to the Powerhouse Museum,Maritime Museum, Aquarium or other attractions there - or just have dinner down there one night. The city side (Cockle Bay/ King Street wharf) has some quite good eateries - nothing to recommend the Darling Harbour side ( in my local's opinion ).

Mentioned in this post
Powerhouse Museum
Powerhouse Museum
1,062 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney Harbour
Sydney Harbour
19,080 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,146 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ..how to group together?

I'm Free tour will cover some of those places mentioned in Day 1

Can't do Zoo and Manly on top... do Manly and you'll get a sunset/lights to come home

Do the zoo on one day and they add according to the time you have

Paddy's good for trashy souvenirs

Darling harbour= canary Wharf= Fishermans Wharf (SF)= Aukland Viaduct=Navy Wharf Chicago= any dockland redevelopment in the world.

be flexible..who knows what the weather will bring

London, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: ..how to group together?

Guys, thanks for all your responses.

Yes, I have read that Manly & Taronga can take up to half a day so best to separate out. I’m not a big fan of zoo’s but is highly rated by many so will see.

Also, worked out that Paddy markets is maybe where to go for cheap souvenirs. We’re not interested in this but again was mentioned a lot by others.

Did see a street map of Sydney CBD and can see most of where to go is split between circular quay and darling harbour so will concentrate on those. Shame we do not have longer to hire a car and visit the suburbs outside CBD. Would also like to do Bondi if possible!!

Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Sydney Hotel CBD
Sydney Hotel CBD
252 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Bondi
Bondi
Greater Sydney, Australia
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ..how to group together?

Bondi is v easy to get to. Take a bus from Circular Quay.

If you're not a fan of zoos pass on Taronga. It's special because of its setting, you get the chance to see Australia's unique native fauna, and some of the enclosures are quite 'state of the art' - like the nocturnal house - but in the end its still a zoo with a view. There are other ways of seeing the view without paying $40+ entrance fee. Lots of free Harbour walks you can take in that area.

Mentioned in this post
Bondi
Bondi
Greater Sydney, Australia
Circular Quay
Circular Quay
3,511 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney Harbour
Sydney Harbour
19,080 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
London, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: ..how to group together?

thanks Eva

9. Re: ..how to group together?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2012, 12:22
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,146 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ..how to group together?

Post 9 self promo