We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney accommodation with 3 kids in November

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
13 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Sydney accommodation with 3 kids in November

Will be in Sydney with the wife and kids (ages 11, 8, 4) for around 10 days starting Nov 8th. The plan is to stay in the city for the first half of the trip, then get a car and drive around the last half of the trip before flying off. It's our first trip to Australia.

First question is which part of Sydney to stay in. I've looked at Potts Point which from Google Street view looks very nice but the 25-30 minute walk/bus trip to the CBD might be a bit of a drag for the kids if we had to do it multiple times a day. Alternatively we could stay closer to the CBD although I expect it to be more expensive. We plan to do the normal touristy stuff eg. parks, zoos, museums and won't be driving in the city.

Second is of course which hotel/apartment to stay at. I'd like to keep the cost to below $1k for a 4-night stay (Thur-Monday) if possible. I have a reservation at MacLeay's Hotel already (queen + 2 singles room) but am having second thoughts because of the distance to the CBD? I've looked at Metro Apartments, Waldorf and a few others. Meriton which seems to be highly recommended here is unfortunately more than double my budget.

TIA

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,106 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney accommodation with 3 kids in November

Have a look at rates for the Hyde Park Inn & Radisson Suites in Liverpool St - both of these have family rooms.

Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney accommodation with 3 kids in November

Not ideal with your preferences, but YHA Sydney Central (close to Chinatown, free #555 bus stop, etc.) has a family room for 5 for $145 or so per night, except you need share bathroom facilities with others.

YHA Sydney Harbour has a family room for 5 with private bathroom under $200 per night, except Saturday night is booked out, which is rather annoying.

Hyde Park Inn would be a good option, if it is available. You most likely will need to enquire directly with the hotel.

Your biggest problem most likely will be Saturday night. Saturdays are the most expensive of the week, and prices generally skyrocket in comparison to rates on other days.

Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney accommodation with 3 kids in November

May also be worth checking out private rental options through www.stayz.com.au as there appears to be a few available during your dates. As you deal directly with owners usually, I'd ask a lot of questions before booking and handing over payments.

Edited: 16 October 2012, 01:05
Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
13 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydney accommodation with 3 kids in November

Thanks all for the tips. I would be happy with a 2 queen bed option for now.

Hyde Park Inn is out except for their back apartments which at ~$1500 is a bit beyond my budget. Will have to give them a call to find out. Radisson Suites has a 2 queen bed room for ~$1200 and while it is a bit more expensive, the location and ratings are excellent. YHA didn't have the Saturday available unfortunately.

What will I be missing out if I skipped the weekend in Sydney? I did think about renting a car straight from the airport, drive out to the Blue Mountains for a few days, then Sunday through Thursday in Sydney before driving out again until the Sunday we're flying out.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
13 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sydney accommodation with 3 kids in November

Deleting my double post.

Edited: 16 October 2012, 09:44
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
248 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sydney accommodation with 3 kids in November

Also check out Wotif.com they have some great rates for hotels. Good luck!!!

Dungun, Malaysia
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sydney accommodation with 3 kids in November

Not sure what your idea of preferred accommodation is but if you're Malaysian, you can always ask the Malaysian Student Hall (msda.org.au/index.php/…malaysia-hall-sydney).

I'm going to Sydney in 2 weeks and that's where we're staying. It's more of a hostel than a hotel as you'll have to bring in your own towels and toiletries but at AUD12/adult and AUD4/child per day, I don't really mind packing a little bit of extra luggage. I think you're also not allowed to cook there but they do sell meals.

The nearest bus stop is only about 200m away and there's a bus which takes you directly to CBD.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,106 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sydney accommodation with 3 kids in November

If you can time your stay to avoid a saturday night that would be a good idea IMHO to save some money. The CBD is busier on weekdays, but the tourists sights probably similar. If the weather is nice weekend days could actually be busier (sundays particulary).

Good idea to contact HPI direct, they may be able to offer you more than what's shown online.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
13 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sydney accommodation with 3 kids in November

Just a quick update, I called up Hyde Park Inn and got a 4-person family room for 4 nights starting Nov 8th for about the same price as the Radisson Suites.

There are rooms available, just not listed on their website so a call works best.

Thanks all!

Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sydney accommodation with 3 kids in November

That's great news! I think the location (being in the CBD or city centre) will definitely be a much better option for you and your family instead of staying in Potts Point.

The free #555 bus will be handy and close by: 131500.com.au/tickets/upload/docs/555map.pdf