We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a trip to the suburbs?

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Topic
a trip to the suburbs?

Hi,

If we had a day to spare would like to hire a car and visit some of the popular suburbs around CBD. Not sure when we will be back in Sydney but, apart the obvious tourist attractions, would be good to experience how others go about live their lives whilst taking in beautiful views/scenic drives along the way.

Can anyone recommend one or two suburbs to stop-off, chill out (walk, lunch), and then head off again? Or is it unrealistic given the distance and time involve? (Also which suburbs to avoid?)

Thanks,

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,187 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: a trip to the suburbs?

don't even think of taking a car .. parking is a nightmare, expensive etc

use public transport .. but it's almost impossible to advise on one or two suburbs.

I love Newtown and it's alternate, edgy almost grungy feel, others are totally put off by this.

Have a look at the 'day trips' dot point in the top questions (upper right)

and try the search box for 'suburbs' and see what comes up.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,513 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: a trip to the suburbs?

Take the scenic route. All the Harbour ferry wharves have bus stops and each ferry is met by a bus that will take you to the nearest suburban shops.

One I like: Take the ferry to Mosman and then the 230 bus - or walk if you feel energetic - to the Mosman shops. Tres chic! Loads of coffee shops and cafes and upmarket shops. Sydney's Maida Vale. You can get a bus back to the city or hop back on the same bus (230) that will take you through Neutral Bay (another great shopping strip where every second shop front seems to house a new bar, Japanese restaurant or coffee roasters. From there the bus goes through North Sydney (Sydney's second CBD) and terminates at Milsons Point from where you can explore the lovely little community of Kirribilli - also full of cafes and restaurants. Once your swimming in caffeine, either take the ferry back across the Harbour or walk off the excess with a stroll across the Harbour Bridge.

Taotally agree with Helen that a car is unnecessary and more if a hindrance than an asset.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,037 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: a trip to the suburbs?

Hey guys... OP wanted to experience how other people live their lives.

Get your car and sit in Sydney traffic for a day ..... that would certainly give you a taste of Sydney life haha. Or better still, hop on a train and ride for an hour out to the burbs haha

Where should you avoid? Staying near to the CBD in a car!

But seriously, I would consider heading down the Northern Beaches and up into Ku-ring-gai NP. Only bother with a car if you want to do both. The car is useful for being able to transition from the beaches to the NP and in and around the NP and or peer at the houses in the shade of beautiful leafy suburbs on the upper north shore. You can easily do the northern beaches part by public transport. I would suggest getting the 180 bus to Collaroy Plateau (well off the well beaten tourist track there!) get off on Edgecliff Boulevard and walk down to the beach or the lake where you can lunch, kayak, whatever, and then pick up another bus either back to Manly/Wynyard or on out to Palm Beach. If you're feeling adventurous, then maybe change at Dee Why and take the 136 or 139 to Manly via yet more beachside suburbs.. and if you do this make sure you do go to the beach, or kayak, or fish or hire a tinnie or something if you want to get a taste of life . It's all about the water and boating or water sports over there...

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,037 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: a trip to the suburbs?

...haha or if you like, you can spend a day at a museum or something equally mentally taxing.. and then at about 5 oclock, hop on the train and come to my place and mow the grass :o) We'll even bung on some chops for ya.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,429 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: a trip to the suburbs?

I'm with Helen

Newtown is quirky and easy to get to - lots of interesting shops there as well as interesting eateries many with lunch time specials.

Get there by bus or train -- make sure you look at the indicator boards to ensure that the train actually stops at Newtown.

Alternatively, catch the ferry to Manly or Watson's Bay or if you like, down to Parramatta to see a different view of Sydney.

I also like Rozelle and although it's busy, it has a sort of village feel to it which hasn't as yet been lost ... that may be due to the cottages I think.

If you are planning to wander around on a weekend, and if markets are something you are interested in, then check out what markets are around (when and where) and you'll definitely be in the thick of the locals then. www.localmarketguide.com.au/…

And finally, if you really want to experience life as a commuter, stick yourself in front of a live traffic cam - LOL - …nsw.gov.au/desktop.html#cameraview

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,713 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: a trip to the suburbs?

If you had a car and were heading out of the city I'd consider Cabramatta (and before every cries me down it would be on the way to or from) Interesting cultural change and some amazing vietnamese Cuisine. Marrickville is another interesting spot …nsw.gov.au/community/arts/publicart.html

Doing the burbs really isn;t my thing so I find it hard to make a suggestion.

Most of the burbs are shopping strips that have become a bit sad or reinvented due to the onset of the great American invention..the MALL..

Newtown is probably a good choice easily reached by public transport

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
612 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: a trip to the suburbs?

There are so many things you can do in a day using the ferries, buses and trains. If you fancy visiting somewhere, go. If you find yourself bored move on to somewhere else.

With a spare day I recommened the following trip:

Buy a MyMulti3 ticket and take the 9.27am train from Central to Kiama on the south coast. Find a seat upstairs and on the left hand side. This will give you the best views of the coast, cliffs, Natoinal Park etc. Arrival in Kiama is just before noon. There are 3 to 4 blocks of cafes, restaurants, pubs, clubs etc adjacent to the station. A pleasnat walk up to Kiama Point and the blowhole. Asafe oceanbeach is 100metres from the station. On the third sunday each month there is a market on the harbourfront. When you are ready there is a train back to Sydney every hour.

The total day will give you a good example of how the 'locals' enjoy themselves.

Edited: 17 October 2012, 07:03
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,187 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: a trip to the suburbs?

GW ... no howling from me ... I love Cabramatta... and it too is easy to get to on the train.

Now some for those ready to howl (all available via the train) ....If you're after a fix of Aussie bogan try Blacktown or Penrith, if you want Middle Eastern try Bankstown or Auburn, if you're after Princess, try Pymble or Wahroonga

.... c'mon in the rest of you .. must be a few more stereotypes you can suggest ;-)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,189 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: a trip to the suburbs?

how about visiting Coogee Beach (take the 373 bus from circular quay) and then enjoying the coastal scenery by walking from the northern end of the beach up to Bondi Beach?

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/mons1/

http://bonditocoogeewalk.com.au/

many eateries at either end or along the way to enjoy a coffee/lunch

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,713 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: a trip to the suburbs?

forget the beach areas ...it is so plastic...as mentioned above ..head out west ..if you desire to see how the average Aussie llives in Sydney..Cabramatta is a good place to start ...very Asian ..but a good blend

Direct train from the cbd..you can then go back by train to Granville and change lines to the penrith line ....this is where you get to feel the average life style.....Coogee ...Bondi...Manly....Kings Cross...those sort of places are NOT Sydney