We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trips From Sydney

dublin
Level Contributor
63 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Trips From Sydney

Hi,

My self and my hubby are going to Sydney early January for four weeks, we intend to stay i Sydney for the first week, but would appreciate any suggestions of where to travel to after that, I have read that Cairns could have rain at that time of year if so then we would rather avoid it, as we are from Ireland and get too much of that at home.

We enjoy sight seeing and beaches, but are also on a fairly tight budget .

Any ideas would be very welcome, .

Many thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trips From Sydney

u will be here during the xmas/summer holidays.

most coastal areas will be extremely busy and accommodation will be at a premium.

but u can either head north or south from sydney along the coast and enjoy some pretty nice beach areas. also inland not far from the coast are some pretty special places.

www.visitnsw.com/destinations/north-coast

www.visitnsw.com/destinations/south-coast

january in cairns is the wet season. but u cant compare the hot humid weather with short and sharp tropical downpours with the endless cold drizzle of ireland.

imo it's a good time to go. off season, water falls and rain forests at their best and a lack of trade winds making the trips to the reef a pleasure.

the only problem is cyclonic weather. high winds and continuous heavy rain can interrupt travel plans. whether this will happen no one can know. i would plan to go, a week would be good, but have a plan B in case things go pear shaped. u get plenty of warning for an impending cyclone.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
17,519 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trips From Sydney

Far North Queensland will definitely have it's wet weather but further south we have been forecast to have a dry summer. The last few years have been very wet but so far this spring we have had lots of sunny days, here's hoping it continues into summer.

The NSW coast and even Victoria might be the better place to go if you don't want wet weather. But it will still be humid and of course lots of holidaymakers about.

I hope you have booked your Sydney accoms at least and get onto the other accoms asap.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,633 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trips From Sydney

I'd head south ... I like the south coast.

... but you could consider Tasmania - 3 weeks there would just about do it in terms of taking your time and having a good look around.

Mentioned in this post
Tasmania
Tasmania
Australia
Sydney
Level Contributor
33 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trips From Sydney

The South Coast, Wollongong to Kiama have some of the best beaches. The drive from Sydney down here is one of the most beautiful and scenic drives you will experience in Australia. The Sea Cliff Bridge between Stanwell Park and Coalcliff is a truly amazing spectacle,and can also be walked.

Mentioned in this post
Wollongong
Wollongong
New South Wales, Australia
Stanwell Park
Stanwell Park
Coalcliff
Coalcliff
dublin
Level Contributor
63 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trips From Sydney

Thanks everyone for all your help, I love the idea of driving from Sydney down the south coast sounds wonderful, I will check out car hire prices etc. many thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
29,738 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trips From Sydney

So, you have one week in Sydney and then three weeks to tour elsewhere, right? You mention car rental - do you want to do a road trip from Sydney? Are you willing to fly elsewhere?

With that much time, you could make a good job of a tour down to Melbourne and southern Victoria and back again. Go via the coast in one direction, then head inland for the other, passing through the mountains around Kosiosko, and some of the wine country.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
dublin
Level Contributor
63 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trips From Sydney

Thanks for your reply , Was thinking of maybe a road trip from Sydney, but would not mind flying somewhere also, just thought we would have enough of flying by the time we arrive from Ireland, but would not mind if it was not too long a flight,

Your suggestions, sound great, so will research them, how long of a drive to Melbourne ?

Would you recommend any particular car rental firm or are they all much of the same.

Like the idea of visiting the wine country.

Thanks again. Cheers.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,742 posts
1,692 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trips From Sydney

Hi,

Also have a read through the link below they are full of tips regarding the coastal route south of Sydney.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c3069/Austral…

Other options -

Fly Sydney to Melbourne - hire a car & drive the Great Ocean Road.

http://www.visitgreatoceanroad.org.au/

Fly to Brisbane - pick up a car & drive to Noosa - Sunshine Coast Queensland. - Visit Fraser Island too.

http://www.visitnoosa.com.au/

Fly to the Gold Coast - pick up car - explore the Gold Coast region & drive down to Sydney. - Stay Byron Bay / Yamba / Port Macquarie / Port Stephens

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c3001/Austral…

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
Yamba
Yamba
Port Macquarie
Port Macquarie
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,986 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trips From Sydney

Play around with Google Maps or Whereis to get an idea of distances. If you go south you can include the capital in your road trip. There are numerous wine areas so wherever you go you are likely to have one or more in the vicinity. I've done a three week drive around Victoria and South Australia and a three week drive around Tasmania, both were great. More info about your interests or any criteria at all you can think of would help us make more suggestions. I think the thing is, if someone participates in the process and follows up suggestions and gives us feedback on what sounds good and how the draft itinerary is coming along, then we are more than happy to chat about where we've been and what we enjoyed and give tips and hints. It's the threads that seem to go nowhere that are disheartening. If our time given here voluntarily results in someone having a great holiday, that's what we want.

Mentioned in this post
Tasmania
Tasmania
Australia
london
Level Contributor
57 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trips From Sydney

hi.we are from the uk and have just finished a 3 week holiday in oz. we spent the last 4 days of our holiday in noosa, an absolutely gorgeous resort in south queensland. 1 hr flight from sydney to the sunshine coast airport.flying in australia is piece of cake. we took 4 flights and had no problems.

google it to see if it is for you. we loved it! noosa has gorgeous beaches but also plenty of other things to do.