We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Problem with a Stayz advertised apartment

London, United...
12 posts
Save Topic
Problem with a Stayz advertised apartment

Found an apartment on Stayz in Clovelly for new year. Filled out rental contract, did bank transfer to owner.

Has been silence since then , over a month with no contact. Now worried I have been ripped off to the tune of over a grand , and have nowhere to stay for new years .

Apartment is still advertised on Stayz, do they check these properties/owners are legit ? I have emailed them but no reply yet .

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Problem with a Stayz advertised apartment

stayz is a bit of a minefield.

the web site is only a conduit for privately owned accommodation.

they have no connection with the properties.

i doubt whether they care if the property is legit or not.

give us the details and/or try calling the property.

London, United...
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Problem with a Stayz advertised apartment

Thanks for your offer lien , very kind of you !

London, United...
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Problem with a Stayz advertised apartment

I will give Stayz another 48 hours then will go public with all the names and addresses !

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,533 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Problem with a Stayz advertised apartment

If you paid by CC, you could see your bank if you are not convinced the ad is legit.

London, United...
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Problem with a Stayz advertised apartment

As I said it was a bank transfer , not a cc payment, sadly !

The place is still there on the stayz website today, have yet to hear anything back from them .

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,533 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Problem with a Stayz advertised apartment

I would still contact your bank tho' I would be surprised if they can help. I'm not sure if there's a Department or place you can lodge a complaint about internet fraud but you may want to check that out.

I did read recently about some clever people who hack into various sites and re-direct your enquiry / payment to their site ... a "look alike site" that for all intents and purposes is a replica of the real site

From the sounds of it, I think you've been the victim of an unscrupulous person or persons that is not related to Stayz at all.

If that is the case, Stayz would not know you've been scammed - you might in fact be trying to correspond with the scammers and not Stayz.

I would also look into security of your PC to ensure you have up to date Malware / security etc

Finally, another avenue may be to contact the NSW Department of Fair Trading with details of your complaint to see what they can do to assist - www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/default.html

In the meantime, it sounds like you need to look for another place to stay ... look at the FAQs to the right of the screen about NYE and look for info in there re: accommodation - and pay by CC if a deposit is needed.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,368 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Problem with a Stayz advertised apartment

The Stayz website has the following so have you tried to contact them ?

Also is your apartment still showing availability for your dates ?

Stayz Website Guests

For details or enquiries about a property, please contact the property owner directly using the enquiry form on the property page. Please note, Stayz is not a booking agency and is unable to book on your behalf.

If you would like to leave a Guest Review for a stay at a property, please click on the "Guest Reviews" link, located under the image for the property on the property page.

For bugs or suggestions with using the stayz.com.au site, please use the feedback button located at the bottom right hand of each page.

For any other enquiries please email support@stayz.com.au or call 1300 550 251. To assist, please have the Property ID or Booking ID available.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Problem with a Stayz advertised apartment

Larry has a tummy bug so I am taking over !

We did indeed contact Stayz as Larry stated in his first post, using the same email address.

I do not think that Stayz could have their entire website hijacked . Also we use a Mac so we just do not get the infections a PC can get.

We have not had a reply from Stayz which is a poor example of customer relations in my mind. As they do not appear to want to investigate this matter we feel it is up to us to warn others of this problem

The accommodation in question is 44 Melrose Parade, Clovelly. The " agent " goes by the name David Nyguyen .

Ant information regarding either the property or this man , if he exists, will be most welcome.

Edited: 23 October 2012, 18:34
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Problem with a Stayz advertised apartment

the building does exist. whether there is an apartment for rent there who knows.

i can find no one of that name in the sydney phone book or indeed anywhere in the state thru white pages..

i would be calling stayz

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,396 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Problem with a Stayz advertised apartment

I know several David Nguyen (Nyguyen is the Vietnamese version of Smith!) and David is pretty common too, usually the vietnamese will have a traditional name and their anglicised version so no surprises Lien can;t find him in the phone book, most like to be Anh something..

There are numerous apartments in the building and many are for rent thru different agencies (i suspect some will be for rent with multiple agencies).

I assume you have booked for the below period..

From Stayz:

If you are booking in the period 23 December to 2 January, the booking must be for that full period.

It is showing as unavailable here: Note this is a tandem agency still fairfax.

rent-a-home.com.au/accommodation/…6088

and here shows unavailable too:

www.worldapartments.com.au/view.php?id=92

It could eb that stayz have not updated the website..