We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting through customs

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
931 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Getting through customs

My 20 year old daughter is traveling to Sydney and meeting her friend that is there working. She lands at 6:30 am coming in from Los Angeles. How long should it take for her to get through customs? We are only used to doing international travel from US to Mexico and that is pretty easy. Thanks for any help and guidance.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,111 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Getting through customs

As one who regularly crosses the ditch with meds I would not follow roostown advice. Whilst the rules may say that prescription meds dont have to be declared the arrival card also says "Do you have any drugs" and does not discriminate or define what type. If you tick yes you WILL be referred to a customs officer whio will take less than a minute to clear you if you only have prescribed meds. If you declare no that you dont have drugs and are then put through a baggage check you can expect to be put through the third degree and questioned pretty thoroughly especially if your meds are not in original bottles and you dont have a doctors letter.

You make the choice and you take the chance - I know what I would do and thats if in doubt declare it and move along quickly. I declare everything of concern

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,208 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Getting through customs

TLCTLC88 you do realise we are a first world nation with hospitals, doctors and pharmacys ???

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,765 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Getting through customs

please refer to the website .... www.customs.gov.au

in the left hand column click on ... arriving travellers

there you will find confirmation of my posting above..further under the wording of "drugs" on the passenger arrival card..the definition does not include prescription medicines

I n addition you can also bring into Australia meds such as Aspirin ..Paracetamol or any other over the counter medications that can be purchased in Australia without a prescription

Again ..note that under Customs definition ...medicine and the word drugs have two different meanings

If you are still concerned refer to the website above

Edited: 29 October 2012, 21:47
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,591 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Getting through customs

Great care needs to be taken in describing medications, and in giving blanket assurances about them.

In may societies, herbal and animal remedies are considered to be mainstream pharmaceuticals and these are the medications that cause great problems for visitors to Australia.

They must all be declared - and many plant and animal-based concoctions will not be permitted.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,086 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Getting through customs

immi.gov.au/managing-australias-borders/bord…

Item 1 clearly mentions medicines.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,765 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Getting through customs

as stated above ..go to the referred website and instead of just reading part..read the entire regulation

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,427 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Getting through customs

I never declare my medications or supplements, but then I purchase them in Australia. But this is the official info.

<<Medicines

You need to declare medicines and substances which may be subject to misuse, abuse or dependence, for example steroids, opioid analgesics, cannabis or narcotic based medications. These products may be restricted or require a permit in order to be imported.

Some traditional medicines may contain endangered plant or animal products and these should be declared to Customs and Border Protection.

No need to declare

If you are carrying medications such as aspirin, paracetamol or Australian over-the-counter medications you do not need to declare these items to Customs and Border Protection when you arrive in Australia.

If you are carrying prescription medication you do not need to declare these provided you import no more than three months supply. It is advisable that you carry a letter of prescription from your doctor in the English language describing your medical condition.>>

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,765 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Getting through customs

Thank you Lynn B ...for agreeing with what I have been trying to say

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,272 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Getting through customs

It says 'Australian over the counter', there's a tricky bit. In many Asian countries you can walk into a pharmacy and buy what would be prescription only in Australia anti-biotics, so arriving or returning with those items (and no prescription) could pose a problem. I am thinking many travelers wouldn't be aeare what requires a presecription in this country..............and one only wonders what category the fake viagara sold on the footpath in many cities falls into

Edited: 30 October 2012, 00:44
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,765 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Getting through customs

The regulation states over the counter medicines that are sold in Australia..its not tricky at all ...the onus is on you to be aware