We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney to Noosa route suggestions

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sydney to Noosa route suggestions

I will be driving from Sydney to Noosa to spend a week with family from New Zealand. Can someone recommend a Scenic route, either ocean or Hinterland, as well as interesting places to spend the night along the way? I am looking to arrive in Noosa Dec. 24. This is my first time to Australia.

Thanks!

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney to Noosa route suggestions

Hi Journeys64,

How long have you got for the drive?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney to Noosa route suggestions

u really only have two options.

inland =new england hwy

coastal= pacific hwy.

the latter hardly ever follows the coast and u have to do detours and loops to get the best out of it. this is obviously time consuming.

the request for an overnight stay suggests u r looking to do the drive in 2 days.

that time of year will be the beginning of the xmas/summer break. it will be very busy on the coast both road and accommo wise.

suggest u take the inland route altho it will be busy too.

'half way' is is either armidale or glen innes.

please be aware that neither of these roads are like the interstate hwy system u may be used to and distances cannot be covered in the same time frame.

Edited: 26 October 2012, 21:51
Oregon
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney to Noosa route suggestions

I was thinking about taking 4 days to get to Noosa. Do 3 night stops. I was hoping someone could recommend some interesting places to spend the night and sights along the way.

Thanks in advance.

Edited: 27 October 2012, 01:35
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydney to Noosa route suggestions

if u want to do the coast road look at this:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c3001/Austral…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
155 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sydney to Noosa route suggestions

4 days (3 nights) should allow for a fairly relaxing trip with time to divert to the coast or take side trips. I find both highways pleasant with the New England having less traffic. Be warned that both now have a proliferation of speed cameras and often small towns with speed limits as low as 50 kph. If traveling the Pacific Hwy worthwhile diversions and places to stay would be Port Stephens (Nelsons Bay, Shoal Bay), Forster/Tuncurry via the Lakes Way, Lennox Head/Byron Bay. There are also some good roads that link the two highways like the Waterfall Way from Coffs Harbour to Armidale, Grafton to Glenn Innes, Tenterfield to Balina. If taking the New England you can head north to Toowoomba and the Darling Downs, avoiding Brisbane (if you wish) and then cross country to the Sunshine Coast. Another alternative is to turn off the Pacific hwy north of Raymond Terrace and head up Buckets Way through Stroud and Gloucester then Thunderbolts Way to Armidale. Some beautiful, wild country through there. I think you will enjoy the trip whichever way you choose.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
612 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sydney to Noosa route suggestions

With time available I would advise using the inland route through the New England Highway. I would telephone ahead for accommodation and stay overnight in Armidale and in Toowoomba.

It will take some time to clear the Hunter Valley traffic after Scone and to get through Tamworth. Toowoomba can also have heavy traffic.

From Toowoomba the route is not straighforward. Drive north to Yarraman and turn right down to Kilcoy and to Beerwah. Try to keep turning towards the north and not south.

You might like to consider using Thuderbolts Way. I always use this route because it cuts 90 minutes off of the journey time to Armidale. The road is narrow, steep and winding. There are no heavy transport vehicles to contend with or speed cameras.Some of the views are truly spectacular. It will take almost 3 hours from Gloucester to Walcha. Travel speeds are low. I would not normally recommend this route to an overseas visitor because the drive can be challenging. In many places the road surface is rough at best.

7. Re: Sydney to Noosa route suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2013, 09:15