We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation in Sydney in between Xmas and New Year

Billericay, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation in Sydney in between Xmas and New Year

I wonder if anyone could recommend some good but reasonably priced Hotel or Bed and Breakfast accommodation in Sydney or the Bondi Beach area, from Boxing Day until 30th December. 2012. I know its an expensive time of year but my son is travelling in Australia at the moment and my daughter is joining him in Sydney on boxing day. Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,356 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation in Sydney in between Xmas and New Year

Your problem is NYE. Peak of the peak for availability & cost, usually with 3+ day minimum requirements.

If you specify you DON'T need NYE, you may actually get some good deals as the real heat is for NYE, but you will need to contact the properties direct as many have minimum periods around NYE.

Have a look at www.wotif.com.au

Come back & ask about specific properties you think may suit - and then book direct with the property. See our advice on the precious post about Sydney hotels.

Edited: 14 November 2012, 20:18
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation in Sydney in between Xmas and New Year

Are they prepared to take a risk? There are some "mystery hotels" on Wotif for what I consider to be a reasonable price (if they want 5 star, there is one for $180 per night during their stay, or there are some 4.5 star hotels - one is going for $165 and another for $135, but because some of the dates of their stay are unavailable, they'll need to move to another hotel). The "danger" with mystery hotels is, of course, you don't know what you're getting until after you've booked, so, they could end up with a hotel they would have preferred not to stay at.

Otherwise, there are some other hotels which are reasonably priced on www.wotif.com/ - Select 'Sydney CBD' to get a list.

Billericay, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation in Sydney in between Xmas and New Year

Thanks for your help, they are going to have a look at the wotif website.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
55 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation in Sydney in between Xmas and New Year

I'm staying at Ravesis in Bondi for 5 nights before staying in the city for 3 nights over New Years eve. Ravesis is right on the beach and recommended to me from people who have been before. If you're there to have a good time and party it up, it should be a good hotel for you.

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation in Sydney in between Xmas and New Year

Wotif is a site focusing more on hotels. For B&Bs or holiday houses, check out http://www.stayz.com.au or http://www.aura.travel

The Christmas/NY period is very busy in Sydney, and generally sought after with ample notice.

Good luck though!

Edited: 20 November 2012, 03:53
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation in Sydney in between Xmas and New Year

Wotif and the mystery hotels suits some people well but not all in my opinion. I recently booked a friend who said he was not fussy at all and would take a gamble on the accommodation of a mystery hotel. He hated the mystery Hotel (because of terrible building noise nearby) and under the very strict conditions of Wotif and their non refund policy he ended up paying for two hotels for three nights. I would also look at the other booking places like booking.com, hotels.com expedia etc. as some of them do not have a prepay policy and are much more generous on refunds if the hotel is not satisfactory.

Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation in Sydney in between Xmas and New Year

Be careful if booking through Stayz. There was a recent thread here where one TA member lost all their money paid for their accommodation over NYE to a scammer.

The majority of people dealing through Stayz are honest and legitimate, but, it is always worth being aware of the possible risks.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation in Sydney in between Xmas and New Year

Yes I agree with arisanosila about Stayz. I am sure there are many reputable people on there but the people who run the Stayz website should be putting security measures in place to ensure that there is a greater level of safety for all people using the site. The complaint mentioned is not the first one, so some caution is warranted.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodation in Sydney in between Xmas and New Year

with due respect the people scammed transferred money directly to the scammer's bank account which according to stayz security advice is a definite 'no no'.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Accommodation in Sydney in between Xmas and New Year

You are right Lien and it is up to the people making the booking to read the finer print. I must admit though, at times and in a hurry I have not read things like terms and conditions very carefully. My personal view and opinion with Stayz is the lack of accountability, no one to really complain to and get some action if there is a problem. At least, I could not find a "person" to complain to effectively.