We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation options from SYD to North Ryde

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation options from SYD to North Ryde

My husband and I will be traveling to Sydney a couple days before New Years and are staying in North Ryde. First...is North Ryde a nice/safe city? Secondly, what is the best way to get to North Ryde from the Sydney Airport? We arrive at about 6:30am and will have a couple big luggages (i pack a lot sometimes. haha). Please let me if you think if we are better off taking cabs to/from the Sydney Airport. Also...how long will that drive be?

Thanks!!

LuxCar
Taxis & Shuttles
Flamin' Galah Sydney Tours & Airport Transfers
Private Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Wine Tours & Tastings , Film & TV Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Fantasea Yellow Water Taxis
Ferries, Taxis & Shuttles
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation options from SYD to North Ryde

north ryde is a suburb of sydney.

it's quite a respectable part of the city. a lot of it is business park.

are u staying at the marriott?

i think i would be taking a cab. that hotel estimates the fare to be $80.

trip is usually around an hour depending on the traffic but at that time of year with a lot people on holidays it could be quicker.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation options from SYD to North Ryde

To go by public transport, you would have to take a train from the Airport Station to either North Ryde (for the Marriott) or Macquarie University Station (all other hotels). If you are at the Medina Executive then it's a fair hike to any train station.

To get there go from the Airport Station, change at Central to the Northern line

A single ticket is $16.80.

I would think $80 is about right for the fare, but if the driver uses the Eastern Distributor, Harbour Bridge and Lane Cove Tunnel, it will take about half that time - but the fare will be higher due to about $10 in tolls.

The area is a business park with some light industry. It will be like a ghost town at that time of year as all the businesses will be closed for the holidays.

It's safe enough - but like everywhere - be aware of your surroundings.

Do take the opportunity to go for a walk in Lane Cove National Park which will be on your doorstep and explore one of Sydney's lesser known gems.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation options from SYD to North Ryde

Great thank you for helpful information :)

Burleigh Heads...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation options from SYD to North Ryde

HI

I am attending a conference at Macquarie University in a couple of weeks. Do you know how long a train will take to get from the airport to Macquarie University please?

thanks

Katrina

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,149 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation options from SYD to North Ryde

Allow an hour, and you'll need to change trains at Central.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation options from SYD to North Ryde

It is around 10 mins to Central from the airport and around 35 mins from the Central to Macquarie University. Trains service the airport about every 10, and to Macquarie about every 15. So, you could take around 1:15 mins to get there, worst case by my calculations. 131500.com.au has a journey planner for your specific times and dates.

The station is on the very edge of the university, so it could take another 10-15 minutes to walk from the station to where you are going.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation options from SYD to North Ryde

Which building at MacU is the conference being held?

Burleigh Heads...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation options from SYD to North Ryde

Thanks, do you know how long a taxi would take - peak hour at 8.00am from the airport to Macquire University?

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation options from SYD to North Ryde

From Domestic, as long Southern Cross Drive is moving, and you are willing to pay the tolls for the Eastern Distributor and the Lane Cove tunnels you could get there as quickly as half an hour. However, you'd have to allow 20 minutes or so for traffic and delays on to Southern Cross Drive, and at that time of the morning allow some time for a taxi queue.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
748 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation options from SYD to North Ryde

At that time of the morning, cab may not save all that much time particularly if you encounter delays on the Eastern Distributor. Though you don't have to change trains and you can go right to your destination rather than the edge of the Uni.