We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport Options in Sydney for 4 Day Trip

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Transport Options in Sydney for 4 Day Trip

Hi all,

We'll be in Sydney in Jan 2013 for 5 days, staying near Chinatown and would like to experience Sydney's ferries & monorail in particular.

Q. Can we buy a weekly ticket that will take into account our little itinerary below? (2 adults & 2 kids, aged 10 & 12yrs) Could we use the 555 bus for any of the below trips to save money?

One of the kids tends to get car sickness too so the cheapest & fastest route would be appreciated. Thank you

1) Bondi beach for the day (by teenage daughter's orders) via .. bus?

2) See Sydney Harbour Bridge. We'd like to take a trip on a bus/car and actually travel across /on the bridge but where would we going to?

See Sydney Opera house (take tour)

3) Darling Harbour &/or The Rocks area. What to do here, just walk around?

3) Adriano Zumbo's cafe for macarons ,Pyrmont shop (for our Masterchef mad daughter)

Is the Sydney Fish Market worth a visit given that we're in the region?

Also, we will be arriving via plane so we would also be needing transport from the airport to our hotel which is nearest to Town Hall train station.

Thank you

Edited: 04 December 2012, 09:07
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,924 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport Options in Sydney for 4 Day Trip

<< Bondi beach for the day (by teenage daughter's orders) via .. bus?>>

Bus from the city. Route 380 along Elizabeth St.

<<See Sydney Harbour Bridge. We'd like to take a trip on a bus/car and actually travel across /on the bridge but where would we going to?>>

Take a train ride from Wynyard to Milson's Point (1 stop) then either walk back across the Bridge or take a ferry from either the Luna Park Wharf or Jeffrey St. Alternately, take any bus from Stand A at Wynyard, get off at Neutral Bay Junction, then take a 225 bus to Cremorne Pint Wharf, do a lovely 2 km walk around the harbour and Mosman Bay to Mosman wharf then take the ferry back to the city.

<<See Sydney Opera house (take tour)>> 555 bus from Chinatown.

<<Darling Harbour &/or The Rocks area. What to do here, just walk around?>> Walk from Chinatown or take the 555 bus. If you walk, stick to the walkway that hugs the water past Cockle Bay and Walsh Bay and under the Brisge at Millers Point.

<<Adriano Zumbo's cafe for macarons ,Pyrmont shop (for our Masterchef mad daughter)>> About a 20 minute walk to Star from Chinatown.

<<Is the Sydney Fish Market worth a visit given that we're in the region?>>

Absolutely. Some say no, but for my money it's still the best and freshest fish in town. If you are doing self catering I would recommend buying fresh fish and preparing it yourself or wander round and pick a few bits of whatever takes your fancy. My preferred vendor is di Costi for fresh seafood and Doyles for cooked. Peters does great sashimi.

<<Also, we will be arriving via plane so we would also be needing transport from the airport to our hotel which is nearest to Town Hall train station.>> 4 people? Take a cab. Not worth messing around with trains and unless you are traveling in peak period, it won't be much cheaper (if at all) to go by train.

All up, I wouldn't bother with a weekly ticket. Perhaps a travel 10 bus ticket would save you some money (just dip twice if two people are traveling)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport Options in Sydney for 4 Day Trip

Thanks Eva! Much appreciated.

Just one other question, can I buy all my tickets on the bus/ferry/train depot or do I have to have my tickets pre-paid for (like the stupid Myki in Melbourne?)

Regards,

Peter.

Edited: 05 December 2012, 03:32
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,866 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport Options in Sydney for 4 Day Trip

If you buy a my multi it can be purchased at the rail station, ferry terminal or convenience stores

If you buy a travel 10 you need to purchase it from a convenience store. Bondi is 5 sections on the bus so you'll need to dip a my bus 1 card 4 times to cover 2 of you (unless you buy a my bus 2 then you just dip once each)

Buy a child travel 10 and dip once per 2 section. Second kid travels free.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport Options in Sydney for 4 Day Trip

Thanks for the info GurusW.

On last question, can we use the monorail to get to any of our destinations?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport Options in Sydney for 4 Day Trip

The monorail will get you to Pyrmont, Paddys market (Chinatown), City Centre in a loop but won't get you to the Circular Quay. You could use Light Rail to get to Pyrmont.

www.sydney.com/destinations/sydney/transport

Edited: 05 December 2012, 08:54
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,040 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport Options in Sydney for 4 Day Trip

We took the bus all the way out to Bondi Beach from the CBD. Easy trip, but I thought I'd share a couple of thoughts -- my daughter also gets car sick and she did find going the whole way on the bus a bit much. You can get the train as far as Bondi Junction, which reduces the length of the bus journey, but we noticed that a LOT of commuters go that route and there was a long line of people waiting for the bus at Bondi Junction and you would not get a seat at the time of day that we were traveling.

Definitely just walk around the Rocks and Darling Harbour. Its a wonderful day to just walk from somewhere like Wynyard, down through the Rocks to Circular Quay, around to the Opera House and then up through the Royal Botanical Gardens.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport Options in Sydney for 4 Day Trip

Carol: thank you for the monorial info.

Vancouver: thank you for your advice re the bus. I will take your advice and get to Bondi by train and then bus.

Regards

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,575 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport Options in Sydney for 4 Day Trip

Here's a nice way to Bondi: take the ferry to Watsons Bay & the 380 bus to Bondi. Takes about 10-15 mins in the bus.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,924 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transport Options in Sydney for 4 Day Trip

Hi PW:

If you decide on the train/bus option, you can buy a Bondi Beach link ticket

cityrail.info/travelling_with/…bondi_beach

I do agree that if time is of no consequence, then the ferry/bus option is the most pleasant way to travel. The ferry heads east from Circular Quay. You can have a walk around South Head once at Watsons Bay, check out The Gap, perhaps eat fish and chips at on of the many Doyle's establishments - from fine dining to take away, and then take a bus to Bondi Beach.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transport Options in Sydney for 4 Day Trip

Bokhara & Eva - thanks for your replies.

How long do you think the ferry would take to Watson's Bay as I still have to factor in travel sickness. Cheers, PW

Edited: 06 December 2012, 22:15