We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice Restaurants

Australia
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Nice Restaurants

Hi.... my partner and I would like to have a meal at a nice restaurant whilst in Sydney. We're not "foodies" so not overly fussy about the menu except for the fact that I'm a vegetarian and no seafood for my partner either!

I looked at the Sydney Tower Buffet but we will be going on a Sunday night and $85 is a little ridiculous for a buffet even given the wonderful view, which is what you pay for!! Although if everyone says it's well worth it we may consider still.

Sooo.... any suggestions of places with a nice easy atmosphere...not too stuck up and pretentious but maybe with a nice view???

Maybe at the Opera House.. outside there? anyone been there and can comment?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
239 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice Restaurants

Don't do the buffet! It is not worth it!

My recommendations would be:

- Cafe Sydney - ask for a balcony table on booking. Views of bridge.

- Aria - views of bridge

Both are big name restaurants but not too dissimilar in price range.

- The Dining Room at the Park Hyatt in the Rocks - Opera House views

If you want less exxy then there is the Opera Bar on the lower concourse of the Opera House or there is an Oyster Bar just further back towards Circular Quay.

Another option would be to have a drink at the Shangri-La in the Rocks - right at the top of the hotel with awesome views.

If you want to look back to the city then I think the choice would be Ripples at Milsons Point.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
239 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice Restaurants

Other one is O Bar and Dining. This was formerly called the Summit Restaurant.

Micheal Moore's menu is quite different to what you get anywhere else in Sydney.

There is also a bar on top of the Westfield building on William St (not to be confused with the Westfield in Pitt St Mall!) with great views.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice Restaurants

Thanks for all the suggestions.. I think the Opera Bar looks like our kind of place!!

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice Restaurants

Opera Bus is a must do too... I'm sure you'll enjoy it :o)

Australia
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice Restaurants

Hmmm... What is Opera Bus Snodge???

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,054 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice Restaurants

Opera bar..

TBH it aint that great if there is something on in the house

Any where in that area will be$$ for the view,

Last visit altitude came up trumps

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
239 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice Restaurants

Yeah - agree. It can be packed there and is nothing spectacular food wise.

I prefer the Blu Bar at the Shangri-La.

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice Restaurants

Another place to consider is the ECQ bar at circular quay...you can either enter by Macquarie St or on the harbour side.The views stretch right across the harbour and to the bridge..Definitely worth a visit even if you don't eat there!

Australia
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice Restaurants

ECQ bar and Blu Bar both look lovely.

I think the Blu Bar is a bit up market for us, we'll have all our "cruise" clothes with us not "smart casual" attire ..... but would be nice to go in a have a drink with those views!

Thanks.

aust
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice Restaurants

The problenm with restaurants is the law of the inverse relationship with food quality and the view. ie good view , poor food and very expensive. Sydney has lots a great places and areas to eat that don't have views. eg randwick, "the Spot". marrickville newtown etc....take your pick. Anywhere aroudn the harbour tends to be great for the atmosphere but overpriced for teh food