We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney trip in February

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sydney trip in February

Hello. I am travelling to Australia on the way back from New Zealand in early February. I have a few questions some of which may be difficult to answer but here goes. I've checked out the top things to do when I'm there and some of the posts are very helpful in that respect. I want to tour the opera house, maybe walk over the bridge (its a pricy walk! ).I'd like to go to the zoo where you get the great views of the city and can see the native Australian animal's close up. I have been told a trip to the barrier reef is doable but a flight there and back from Sydney one day, coming back the next might be the only way to do it. I would also like to see the blue Mountains. A few drinks and meals wouldn't go amis either.

Now the hard bit! I'm trying to work out a budget. I would have spent the previous 3 weeks in New Zealand so the wallet will already have taken a good hiding! A friend recommended staying at some youth hostels to keep the costs down. Including doing all the above with some spending money of course, can you advise of an amount I should budget for. A vague breakdown would be helpful in order to eliminate anything that may be too rich this time. I will be travelling alone and going back to the UK at the end of what promises to be a great time. I hope this doesn't come across as trying to spend as little as possible. Apologies if I've given that impression.

Many thanks for taking time to read this.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney trip in February

there's a difference between a walk 'over the bridge' which is expensive and 'across the bridge' which is free. also consider the pylon climb.

a day trip to cairns to see the GBR with an overnighter is possible but pretty rushed.

BMs can be a day trip by train from sydney.

budgets are always hard.

i would say $100/day including accommo (shared hostel accommo) is a minimum.

Edited: 18 December 2012, 22:17
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,733 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney trip in February

Have a look at www.yha.com.au to get an idea of hostel prices. The hostel at The Rocks in Sydney is very nice with nice harbour views from the top deck.

Also look at www.wotif.com to see if any hotels fall into your price range.

The overnighter to see the GBR is very rushed. I don't think I would do it. Its a lot of money to see very little in the time.

The Zoo is a good option. Also do a ferry trip somewhere on the harbour. Most visitors like to do the Manly trip. It's 30 mins each way and you will get good views of the Bridge, Opera House and city skyline from the water. Other trips are also good, such as Watsons Bay.

Eat in Chinatown where it is cheap, especially in the food courts there.

Have a great time!

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,047 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney trip in February

If your budget is tight then perhaps you might want to rethink the Bridge climb (about $200 - $300 depending on time of day) and do the free walk across the Bridge followed by a walk up the SE pylon ($11). Almost the same view plus the advantage of being able to take as many pictures as you like (no cameras allowed on he Bridge Climb)

You may also was to consider the cost of a day on the reef - airfare to and from Cairns (allow about $400), a night's accommodation and about $200 for a day out on the reef.

Blue Mountains can be done as a very cheap day trip if you stick to public transport.

A day at the zoo is perfect if you want to see the animals, but there are other places you can walk to for nothing to get equal views.

A bed in a dorm at a hostel will run at about $30-$40 a night - depending on location.

I would agree that you'd need to allow about $100 per day to be comfortable, have some restaurant meals and be able to do some sightseeing. However, you'll need to allow extra if you are going to include the Bridge Climb and the trip to Cairns and the GBR.

IMO, the Opera House is best experienced by buying a ticket and going to a performance rather than a backstage tour. It's not just Opera - they have concerts of all genres, plays, ballet - the whole performance range to chose from.

Have a great trip.

London, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydney trip in February

Hello again. Thanks very much for the contributions above, very much appreciated. I arrive on 06.02.13 and leave 13.02 13. If there's anything special to see at that time please let me know. I think from the help I have been given here I may choose a room at a hostel rather than a dorm. Certainly climbing the bridge is easily kicked into touch on favour of the 'pole' climbing option. Sotthank you for saving me an instant $300. Forgive my total ignorance but Iaassume hostel facilities are available near GBR. If I turned that excursion into a longer round trip from Sydney would it be worth it or would I sacrifice too Much of the Sydney experience? I am only in Australia for one week so I want to make it count.

Thanks again for taking the time to read this.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sydney trip in February

lots of backpacker accommo in cairns.

in think if u spent 3 days in sydney and 4 days in cairns (taking into considerstion travel time to and from) u would get a good experience of both.

London, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sydney trip in February

Hello again and thanks for that.. Do you know the flight length from Sydneyto cairns. I'm going to sound very stupid but how is the reef seen? Is it from a boat trip perhaps? What would I budget for that round trip from Sydney and back?

Thanks again

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sydney trip in February

the flight is about 3 hours. around $350 return.

look at www.webjet.com.au to compare fares in your time frame. then book directly with the chosen airline.

a boat trip to the outer reef is a day trip.

plenty to choose from departing cairns (or port douglas).

i would take a snorkel only boat if possible. better than 'mixing it' with the divers.

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,264 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sydney trip in February

in Sydney Bounce hostel near Central railwaty is good quality/secure/comfortable (as hostels go) and cheaper than YHA.....YHA at the Rocks is good for access to bridge, but possibly the priciest hostel in the city. And the cheaper eats (like Chinatown) are closer to Central.

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,264 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sydney trip in February

Jetstar will have the cheapest Syd-Cairns flights....139 upward depending on chosen day in early feb....go their website and you can view fares for a whole month and try and pick the cheapest return combo dates...those prices are excluding checked baggage (10kg carry on allowed) and the credit card booking surcharge.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,047 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sydney trip in February

I'll play devil's advocate here:

A trip to Cairns is going to entail a 3 hour flight - which means getting to the airport, checking in and then getting out of the airport and into accommodation at the other end. That's half a day out of your holiday for each trip. If you are only here for a week travel will take a fair chunk out of your holiday.

Given that February is the cyclone season and there's a chance that you may not be able to get out to the reef on the one full day you have there due to adverse weather conditions, it's a lot of money to spend to end up wandering around the town for a day and a half.

Your choice of course, but there's heaps to do and see in Sydney to keep you well and truly occupied for the week.