We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Problems in catching trains from Airport !

London, United...
Level Contributor
181 posts
Save Topic
Problems in catching trains from Airport !

Hello All,

I will be reaching Sydney International Airport (by Singapore Airlines) at around 6PM - 31Dec. I want to goto Epping.

Will it be manageable (with one 20KG bag + laptop bag) to take train from Airport to Central and then Central to Epping on that time/day?

I know there will be 9pm Family Fireworks so wondering if this can b problem for me in catching train to home (Epping).

Thanks

Edited: 29 December 2012, 03:25
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Problems in catching trains from Airport !

trains are going to be pretty crowded going into town i suppose and who knows if u can squeeze in. try the end carriages.

heading out of central should be ok. u should miss the post 9pm exit with a 6pm landing.

but what's the alternative?

a cab? might be a problem NYE even at the airport.

Edited: 29 December 2012, 03:31
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,259 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Problems in catching trains from Airport !

The platforms at Central are joined by an underground passageway. Head for the front of your train from the airport to use the lifts from your platform to the passageway and from there up to the platform for the Epping service.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,920 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Problems in catching trains from Airport !

For a faster service you could attempt to get a train heading to Gosford/Newcastle, these usually only stop at Strathfield, Eastwood then Epping before heading north.

These are on the Newcastle and Central Coast line. Same cost as the regular train but the seats are wider and more comfortable. Here is the timetable: cityrail.info/timetables/…landingPoint

Lismore, Australia
Level Contributor
200 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Problems in catching trains from Airport !

The Newcastle trains leave from the country platforms, though.

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Problems in catching trains from Airport !

Agree with #4. (Was wondering when I would see someone from the LP forum!! It's KR in disguise.)

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,079 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Problems in catching trains from Airport !

Getting a Newcastle train should then prove less of a problem on New Years Eve as the OP is going against the traffic

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,920 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Problems in catching trains from Airport !

Yes the Newcastle trains leave from the country train platforms. Here's how:

Once off the airport train at Central walk towards the front of the train and go down the stairs.

Turn left at the bottom of the stairs and keep walking until you see the escalators going up. Do not exit at the turnstiles which are on your right. At the top of the escalator is the country train area.

Look for the departures board, this will tell you which platform the Newcastle/Central Coast train leaves from and when.

Edited: 29 December 2012, 21:02
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Problems in catching trains from Airport !

i think the OP might be a local. they call epping 'home'.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,920 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Problems in catching trains from Airport !

Their avatar says London. Sneaky.

Anyway, all of the advice above will help other tourists.

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Problems in catching trains from Airport !

Have you considered, #8, that Epping might be 'home', but the OP could very well have been living overseas for a considerable period of time? For someone who could have spent a long time away from home, I don't think the question asked is in any way suspicious, odd, or anything else out of the ordinary.