We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYE 2013/2014 in Sydney

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
NYE 2013/2014 in Sydney

I'm trying to decide which option is the best choice for firework viewing: restaurant, cruise, hotel?? I'm looking at this as a once in a lifetime opportunity so I want to know options without caring about the price:) Also, how far out should I, or can I, book anything?

Thanks in advance!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,399 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: NYE 2013/2014 in Sydney

Is there a question with what you wrote?

And how does the limo help you with where you view the fireworks?

Edited: 01 September 2013, 06:00
Melbourne
Level Contributor
46 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: NYE 2013/2014 in Sydney

Ok, heres the latest information i have regarding Sydney NYE 13/14. After paying $500 each last year to dine at the Park Hyatt, which although the meal and everything was fine, and we also had exclusive access to the hotels own boardwalk, but the only way you can see the bridge is if you are one of the very few to get to the end of the boardwalk first, and even then its only a partial view, so suffice to say with the exception of the fireworks over the city and 2 barges further down the harbour we saw very little. So this year we went to Sydney on reconsense mission to find the best location to dine and view the fireworks and after looking all around we decided it would be Peter Doyles on the Quay, this is the very last restaurant at the Overseas Passenger Terminal, so it has uninterrupted views of the bridge, the opera house and basically the entire central harbour. It also has an outdoor area exclusive to restaurant guests, and also access to the actual wharf. Dinner and unlimited alcohol is $750 a head. The other option is Altitudes restaurant which is on the 32nd floor of the Shangri La Hotel, and with the exceptions of Doyles would have the BEST view. Tables start at $895 and if you want a window seat it was $995. Wine is included in the price.

In relation to the 5 star CBD hotels, most of them quadruple their prices for the evening and have a minimum of 3 to 4 nights, with basic rooms starting around the $750 mark, anything with a view starts from $950. I have emailed several of the hotels and requesting 1 night only...all have responded advising they have wait lists, but we wont find out if we have been successful in some cases up to the 31st December... I constantly checked WOTIF last year on the 31st and their were still several hotels that were available for the night...but its a risk you take waiting to the last minute.

Hope that helps!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,399 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: NYE 2013/2014 in Sydney

>>>In relation to the 5 star CBD hotels, most of them quadruple their prices<<<

Not quite quadruple.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
46 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: NYE 2013/2014 in Sydney

I was basing my figures on hotels such as Shangri La, whose cheapest room can go for around $250, yet NYE start at $850, the Old Sydney Holiday Inn in the Rocks, have rooms have their rooms averaging at $200 a night, yet NYE, they have the same room at $1200... A Club level city side room at the Intercontinental i was quoted $1700 and the Pullman on the Quay starts at $1800....sorry, although i`m generalizing i still stand by my `quadruple` quote :)

The other thing we looked into is to hire a water taxi.....they have 1.5 to 2.5 trips floating around the harbour for both the 9pm and Midnight fireworks....these prices are averaging between $275 and $300 which is good value if the fireworks are your main concern.

Edited: 10 September 2013, 09:37
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,399 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: NYE 2013/2014 in Sydney

Your sentiments is quite accurate, and I agree.

I was more referring to the case that 5 Star CBD, isn't just harbour foreshore. All the properties you've stated are waterfront/near waterfront, and those which are located midtown, don't increase as significantly.

Last NYE, across the board for all AHA registered properties in Sydney CBD, the average increase for that week was 2.75 x

In regards to yield increase during special events, the rates have to be compared like for like, distribution to distribution. By this I mean you can't choose a room rate you seen 'regularly' on Wotif, then compare it to special events quotes from the hotel direct. The amount of increase will obviously be higher that way.

So comparing the increase from their regular Rack Rate on the hotels website, to the quote is considerably more accurate.

To be perfectly honest, a body like Tourism Australa will eventually step in and with the government, put a ceiling on the issue. It's ridiculous.

Edited: 10 September 2013, 09:50
Melbourne
Level Contributor
46 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: NYE 2013/2014 in Sydney

Yeah good call. Gotta agree with you on that one.

In relation to costs on rooms, its incredibly overpriced and i agree that something has to be done about it. I think right across the board needs a good looking into. We had dinner at the Park Hyatt last year. Had we had the same menu the night before (less a glass of french champagne) it would have been $95, yet as it was NYE we paid $495.

A decent night in Sydney for domestic flights, hotel and a nice dinner shouldnt be costing us over $3000!!!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,399 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: NYE 2013/2014 in Sydney

100%

You're absolutely spot on, and whilst they've been discussing it for years, they've always baulked at enforcing a 'cap' - for political reasons. Ideas like local taxes just for NYE, set percentage of increase from Rack Rates etc have all been discussed, but it's an uphill battle when two of Tourism Australia board members are aligned/employed by hotel groups.

It's one thing for our prices to be high consistently, but it's another to hike it up threefold for one event.

Insiders are basically saying that until there's a distinct consumer drop in occupancy numbers - caused by boycotting the hotels - it'll never drop. And that won't happen in a hurry.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
46 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: NYE 2013/2014 in Sydney

You may appreciate this. I contacted Quay West Apartments on the possibility of going on a wait list for 1 night stay for NYE. I got very excited when i got a response saying `we would be happy to offer you a harbour view apartment for 1 night on NYE`.....my excitement dulled when i read the next line which said ...`however you will be still charged the minimum 7 night stay which would cost $6900`

I politely declined their offer :)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,399 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: NYE 2013/2014 in Sydney

Hahaha, that's funny. At least they tried, and someone clearly had given it some thought to reply. Most hotels would have simply said no. Makes me wonder how many would think "yeah let's go for it"

Melbourne
Level Contributor
46 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: NYE 2013/2014 in Sydney

My success rate for getting responses back from hotels have been quite good. I am currently on the waitlist for the Sebel Pier One, The Intercontinental, The Marriot (incidently they said i could have 2 nights at $599 but i had to be check in on the 31st and out on the 2nd..if we could have checked in on the night of the 30th that would have been perfect) and the Four Seasons...

But this one was by far my favourite. Especially with the end line 'please let me know if you would like to book`