We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Asia and South Pacific traveling

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
136 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Asia and South Pacific traveling

Im planning to travel independent with 1 friend to Beiging (3nights), Tokio (2 nights) and Sydney ( 4 nights) in late March, how secure it is and what is recomend x hotels and trips between countries,help me with input, thanks

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,933 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Asia and South Pacific traveling

Have alook at how much time you are going to spend travelling from place to place. I suspect that you will spend more time at airports, on planes and getting to and from airports than you will spend sight seeing. You need to get a map and see the distances you are planning to travel and then amend your ideas.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,360 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Asia and South Pacific traveling

That is a lot of travelling for just over a week. I would cut out Sydney and concentrate more on Tokyo and Beijing. Travelling to and from Sydney alone will be 1 day each way. Both Tokyo and Beijing are great cities and you will not have any problems in filling in your days.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Asia and South Pacific traveling

I would reduce this down to just one country, whether it be China, Japan or Australia. There is more to Japan than Tokyo, and more to China than Beijing.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,208 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Asia and South Pacific traveling

Plus I don't know the situation for Japan, but US citizens have to pay $20 for a visa to Australia, and a much more substantial cost (don't know for sure but think it's on the order of $100) for a visa to China. If I was paying $100 for a visa I'd want to stay more than 3 nights.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
136 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Asia and South Pacific traveling

Thanks, I know, x China it's about $130.00 visa , but I don't have that many days to take and specifically wants to see some stuff, thanks..

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,208 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Asia and South Pacific traveling

Could you not just choose one country for now and see each of the other two on other trips in the future? Unless money is no object, you're going to spend a small fortune in airfares and visa costs, tire yourself out and not see much of the places you're hoping to, because of all the time travelling between countries will eat up.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,859 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Asia and South Pacific traveling

If you're wanting to maximise your vacation time by visiting more than one country, why not choose countries that are closer together? For example you could visit Australia and New Zealand, or stopover in Fiji on the way to Australia, or visit Japan and Korea.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,140 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Asia and South Pacific traveling

Or you could do Europe as the countries are much closer together.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,859 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Asia and South Pacific traveling

Another thought, with your available travel time being so brief, it would be best if you got accommodation close to the sights you wish to see. If you could advise what you are planning to see in Sydney, we could recommend the best area to stay in.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Asia and South Pacific traveling

I think you'd spend more time in the air than you would on the ground ... and I'm with the othes ... with that short timeframe, spend it in one country otherwise you won't remember any of it.

Have you had a look at the times the plane lands and then the time your next plane leaves? You may spend 2 nights in Tokyo, but may have only about 12 hours on siteseeing depending on your arrival and departure times.

It is your money and you may have some specific things you want to see but to me there is a lot of time wasted in transit here ... and if you're lucky, you won't have perpetual jetlag for your entire holiday !