We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 Weeks in Sydney July to September 2013

London, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
9 Weeks in Sydney July to September 2013

Hi,

My fiancé and I are going to be in sydney for nine weeks June - September 2013. My partner is a med student doing a placement at royal north shore and ryde hospitals,.

We are looking to accommodate ourselves somewhere with easy transport links to both, and for a reasonable amount of money (!)

Can anybody help us with suggestions? We would prefer to be self contained and self catered, but don't mind studio, one bed apartment etc and budget is really no more than say 1000 to 1200 per week, but less is better so we can spend more travelling around at the weekends!

Thanks very much for any help,

Rich

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,367 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 Weeks in Sydney July to September 2013

Firstly, have you checked that the hospital (or employment agency) can't help with places to stay ?

A period for 9 weeks is likely to be a holiday type fully furnished rent. Royal North Shore (RNSH) is near St Leonards train station while Ryde Hospital (I just learned associated with RNSH) is near Denistone rail station.

Where you can stay depends on where the main work is done - RNSH would be the best as accommodation could be around Milsons Point, Crows Nest, Artarmon plus a bit further because of the train service. Your budget at $175 per night is tight for own accommodation (Sydney is not cheap to rent).

for example, staying at Kirribilli would be a good choice with Milsons Point Station very close. Look at www.stayz.com.au - eg Aruma at Bridgeview can be booked at $175 per night. While using most of your budget it is close to the city and public transport.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 Weeks in Sydney July to September 2013

Have you had a look at Airbnb for accommodation options? Could save you a bundle over that time period. My daughter used Airbnb for their accommodation in Chicago and New York recently and had a marvellous experience with it. Made their trip.

When you're considering where best to stay, use the transport planner and see how the transport would be to the various work locations is from the various properties you are considering.

www.131500.com.au

Edited: 23 January 2013, 01:31
Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
72 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 Weeks in Sydney July to September 2013

Hornsby is a good train station for that, if you can find accomodation to suit your needs and budget of course. It's certainly not as close as a suburb right next to the hospital but the closer you get towards the city, the more expensive things get. Chatswood would be more expensive but a little more central to both Ryde and St Leonards (where the Royal North Shore Hosp. is actually located).

The reason I say these two is because it's within a reasonable distance of both places and both of the train stations are main "hub" stations that have a lot of trains stopping at them. Also, they both have very good sized shopping districts so you wouldn't need to go far for your wants and needs.

Actually.. if you can afford the rent and can find a short-term lease.. I would actually go for Chatswood..

Edited: 23 January 2013, 05:52
Wauchope, Australia
Level Contributor
583 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 Weeks in Sydney July to September 2013

I would reccomend Lane Cove. Buses are available to both locations, it's close to the RNS and not too far from Ryde, it's a lovely suburb with quite a few apartments.

This site seems to have some in your location rent-a-home.com.au/accommodation/…lane-cove

Other suitable suburbs might be Marsfield or Artarmon.

I note there are some in these areas on Stayz as well,

stayz.com.au/short-term-rentals-accommodatio…

Personally Hornsby seems a long way out but I agree with Chatswood as another option.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,890 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 9 Weeks in Sydney July to September 2013

North Ryde would be an ideal area - around Macquarie Park Station/Macquarie Shoping centre. Here you will find train and bus options to Ryde Hospital and North Shore Hospital. For example bus route 545 from Macquarie Park will come close to 900 metres from Ryde Hospital and seems to operate every 15 minutes during peak times. You will get out and walk from Blaxland Rd - an easy walk. You could be lucky and get accommodation at the university - its worth a try - your dates may coincide with the mid semester break..

There are a number of serviced apartments in the area or you could try for a short term rental on something like stayz or try contacting local real estate agencies direct (see an incomplete list below for an idea of prices and what is available).

macquarieuv.com.au/the-village/short-stays.h…

questapartments.com.au/Accommodation/43/aust…

adinahotels.com.au/medina-serviced-apartment…

Others

http://amgmotel.com.au/

furnishedproperties.com.au/fontenoy-road.html

To get to St Leonards Station for Royal North Shore Hospital is a few rail stops away from Macquarie Park.

This is an easy area to get into the city, Macquarie shops offer a good base and easy route to explore Chatswood. Possibly cheaper than other areas.

Edited: 23 January 2013, 21:28
Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
72 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 9 Weeks in Sydney July to September 2013

Yeh.. I only mention Hornsby because of the potentially cheaper rent and it is still able to access both train lines with a high frequency of trains and decent shopping district. Chatswood be a better choice than Hornsby for proximity purposes.. but yes.. if you can afford it.. those other inner-city suburbs are more obvious choices of course.

London, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 9 Weeks in Sydney July to September 2013

fantastic, thank you for all your replies and help - a little bit of local knowledge is gold for planning this trip!

I'll digest all the links and advice but even from a quick glance there is a wealth of information to help us out, so thanks again, I really do appreciate it and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions!

Rich

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,890 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 9 Weeks in Sydney July to September 2013

Another couple of places in North Ryde area

marriott.com/hotels/…

…mgsm.com.au/executive-accommodation-and-res…

9. Re: 9 Weeks in Sydney July to September 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2014, 07:16