We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in sydney first visit ?should i go to blue mountains

bristol
Level Contributor
400 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in sydney first visit ?should i go to blue mountains

please can you help we have 3 full days in sydney post cruise, first visit. should we spend a day touring blue mountains or concentrate on sydney ( 2 adults celebrating our 50th fit & active)

thankyou suggestions would be much appreciated

I'm Free Walking Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours
Blue Diamond Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Blue Mountains Tours
City Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Bus Tours
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,316 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in sydney first visit ?should i go to blue mountains

What do you want to see in Sydney itself? I suppose my first instinct was oh dear, only three days, you could easily fill that time with Sydney itself. On the other hand being so close to a World Heritage listed place of natural beauty and ignoring it in favour of just more museums and galleries/shopping/view of the harbour/museums and galleries/shopping/different view of the harbour, I don't know? On the other hand, there's so much in the city and immediate environs, taking a whole day to go see an overgrown version of the ditch the Americans call the Grand Canyon, I mean you can't even see it so well, it's so overgrown. But I don't know your priorities. I can imagine some people really wishing they'd devoted more time to the city and I can imagine some people really regretting if they don't find time for the mountains.

I reckon what you could do is try to come up with a wish list of what you want to do in the city, and also research the Blue Mountains and see whether it really calls to you or you are merely considering it because it's a Sydney so-called "must do". We could then help you work out what you have time for and how to most efficiently put it together, eg you definitely need a minimum of half a day for this, you can see that very quickly on the way to there, etc, etc.

Australia
Level Contributor
394 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in sydney first visit ?should i go to blue mountains

The harbour and the Blue Mountains wilderness would be the 2 most unique features of Sydney. Definitely try to do a day trip to Katoomba.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,168 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in sydney first visit ?should i go to blue mountains

You could always leave it until you get here to decide (weather may pay a part in your decision). You can get to the BM's by train & then use the HOHO bus. This thread explains how to do that tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g1426078-i13268…

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,316 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in sydney first visit ?should i go to blue mountains

Oh yeah, weather, GOOD point.

Edit: Sorry, just thought maybe I should add, please correct if I'm wrong Mia but the problem can be visibility? I mean I've gotten soaking wet seeing some great sights but the point was we could SEE them, some people may prefer to just do outdoorsy things on nice sunny days but for people who don't mind roughing it you still want it to be worth your while and see what you went to see.

Edited: 29 January 2013, 05:08
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
28,447 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in sydney first visit ?should i go to blue mountains

I've been to Echo Point in the fog. Utterly pointless exercise....

I love the Blue Mountains and have made a visit there part of every trip I've had to Sydney.

However, with only 3 days, I have to agree that Sydney itself has so much to offer and its a long way to Katoomba for only a few hours.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days in sydney first visit ?should i go to blue mountains

When will you be in Sydney. The Blue Mountains are a full 1 day trip, approx 2 hrs drive each way so it would be best to take a car.

However, there have been alot of bushfires in the Blue Mountains this summer so I would advise to avoid this area unfortunately. Unless you are travelling in month or so. Visability in Summer will be fine.

Sydney has alot to offer, and is all walking distance from the Cruise terminal. You can walk over the harbour bridge to Milsons Point, and back. The Rocks have lovely weekend markets, the MCA if you enjoy galleries. You can jump on a bus at Circular Quay to Bondi Beach and do the coastal walk. There is also a free CBD shuttle you can jump on and off to explore the city, or you could take to HOHO bus which will take you past all of the sites. In my opinion Sydney CBD is easy to navagate around on your own and major sites are no more than a 10min walk between each site.

Hope this helps!

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days in sydney first visit ?should i go to blue mountains

i think taking a day to see the blue mountains (which is a unique and a world heriatge area) would be a nice contrast to sydney and worth doing.

not many major cities in the world have such a different environment so close.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 days in sydney first visit ?should i go to blue mountains

I agree re wait and see what the weather's doing in terms of whether you spend all your time in the CBD and environs or whether to venture further afield.

I wouldn't do the Blue Mountains - tbh, I think it's a bit hit and miss. There are undoubtedly beautiful areas, but there's also a lot of touristy dross and it takes time to carefully research what actually offers you value (in terms of your personal preferences and your valuable time). It's also a long way through suburbia to get there.

If you want to get out of the city for a day, you could catch the train to Cronulla then the ferry to Bundeena and go for a walk in Royal National Park. Or hire a car for the day and drive through RNP to Stanwell Tops, Kiama , perhaps even Minnamurra (rainforest) if you're up for a big day.

If the weather's good, I'd probably just stay around the CBD and soak up the harbour and environs. Woollahra Council have some good publications and there are some lovely, hidden walks that offer fabulous vistas of the harbour (take your swimming costumes if here in the warm weather). Like this:

…nsw.gov.au/__data/…harbwalk.1.pdf

Whatever, enjoy!

bristol
Level Contributor
400 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 days in sydney first visit ?should i go to blue mountains

thankyou for your replies. we are visiting in oct so i guess its spring

its tempting to hit the beaches especially when back home winter looming

this yr so far its bad, heavy persistant rain, floods & last week snow

still like the idea of blue mountains we arrive early fri 0700

? sat blue mountains

like to visit bondi beach & take manly ferry & markets like views/sites sydney opera house love good food (dont need fine dining)

not really interested in musems/art

or zoo like to see annimals in natural habitat

staying in rocks area flight back to uk mon 1530

greatful for any suggestions

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,316 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 days in sydney first visit ?should i go to blue mountains

Might I ask why you didn't tell us all this first? There's no one size fits all which is best A or B answer. You now have a range of views, opinions, details, considerations, etc. Sounds to me like the Blue Mountains, weather permitting, is IN.