We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

malaysia, qantas or another airline

Kent
Level Contributor
7,063 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
malaysia, qantas or another airline

daughter is going to aus for 1 year and these 2 are similar prices, as are emirates, is 1 better than the other and for what reason? thanks for any input, fave at moment is malaysia stopping in KL for 4 hours

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: malaysia, qantas or another airline

A few years ago I would have wholeheartedly agreed with lien. Qantas FAs were rude, unwilling to assist and downright surly. I've seen FAs abuse passengers for daring to press the call button, refuse to give pax a drink of water because they were 'too busy', come unto the cockpit and demand to know 'who pressed the call button and why?', come to a passenger seat, switch off the call button and walk away without asking what the passenger wanted, chat amongst themselves while

Totally ignoring half a dozen lit call buttons throughout the cabin..... It goes on. It wasn't about an individual having a bad day but endemic across the airline.

BUT, in the last few years they have really lifted their game. The new generation of FAs seem to be much more professional.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: malaysia, qantas or another airline

well yes, that was it exactly, eva.

and it has been a few years since i dumped them.

but now am not really willing to give them another try since most asian airlines on a bad day have to be better.......and i somehow relate to the so called 'old battle axes' on united across the pacific so they are fine too despite their rather less than favourable reputation.

as for airlinequality i used to think they were ok but after having a number of reviews 'edited' i am really no longer a fan or contributor. but still i suppose they give a useful overview

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,839 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: malaysia, qantas or another airline

Personal curiosity, and my apologies in advance as this maybe a little lateral discussion.

Skytrax rating system has come under fire recently, by numerous ASA's around the world as their claims to be "official and had been approved for use by all parties" cannot be substantiated. Added to this, their inability to substantiate authenticity of reviews and impartiality of opinions put forth by industry persons, seems to have contributed to them receiving a downgrade on their own advertising standards.

Do people still find it a fairly accurate source of information? Or is it becoming a lopsided ratings for airline companies who behind the scenes line their pockets?

I personally agree with both lien and evamelb's views above. I lean quite heavily towards Asian airlines, but agree qantas is on the up.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,611 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: malaysia, qantas or another airline

I flew with QANTAS to South America a year ago and was impressed by the service. Much better than LAN who we flew home with.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,998 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: malaysia, qantas or another airline

Close friends flew Qantas to Hong Kong last month and reported the FAs were rude, surly, slow to respond and clearly put out when they did; and this was in business class. God knows what the economy customers copped.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: malaysia, qantas or another airline

I am another one who gave up on QANTAS a long time ago . They just did the basic job and nothing more ( if that ). As Eva says , they may have improved since but they have lost me and I will always choose an Asian airline in preference. I have flown Malaysia and really enjoyed them on every segment ( helped by the fact they upgraded me twice without my asking! ).

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: malaysia, qantas or another airline

I agree it doesn't make for a pleasant trip if the FAs are not up to scratch. But generally I can give as good as I get :-))

When choosing an airline I don't bother with Skytrax or any other rating system based on customer votes.

I care about the airline's ability to get me to my destination on time and in one piece so I look at official stats.

Once I'm satisfied I have eliminated unsafe and unreliable carriers the final decision is ALL about price. Nice FAs and good food are a bonus.

I don't fly Qantas because I have NEVER found them to be the cheapest - or even come close! On Scyscanner and the like, they are rarely on the first page.

Byron Shire...
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: malaysia, qantas or another airline

I still fly Qantas domestically for work and pleasure as I find they're streets ahead of the competition. Cashed in some miles late last year for business class international flights on Qantas and was seriosuly underwhelmed. I've used Malaysian Economy class on international flights and thought hey were fair to midling, probably a bit better than Qantas. KL would be a better transit stop than Dubai Airport which is said to be diabolical (though I don't have first hand experience of Emirates or Dubai). Which ever airline she chooses, make sure she joins a suitable mileage program. Qantas and now Malaysian are OneWorld members, so she can join either of their programs, or just give her BA frequent flyer number when booking and put the points towards a short intra-European flight on BA when she gets back.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,998 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: malaysia, qantas or another airline

We flew HKG-KUL and KUL-PER with Malaysia Airlines last November and thought they were brilliant. Couldn't fault them and the food was great.

Kent
Level Contributor
7,063 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: malaysia, qantas or another airline

singapore airlines are now in the mix, any thoughts on these? thanks