We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney to Port Macquarie half way point?

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Berkshire
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Topic
Sydney to Port Macquarie half way point?

Will be driving on pacific highway in one day from

Sydney to Port Macquarie.

Can anyone recommend a lovely half way point to stop for a lunch and break from driving, and if possible not to far from highway.

Also am looking for a small b&b or boutique hotel in Port Macquarie for 2 nights, anyone got any ideas, don't want a big chain hotel, would like to meet local people.

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,715 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney to Port Macquarie half way point?

I like Tea Gardens, 10 mins in off the Highway and lovely spot beside the river.

The other alternative is Buhladelah.

Can't help with BnB in PM.

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney to Port Macquarie half way point?

Another alternative would be Karuah or Raymond Terrace, both accessed from the highway. Buladelah has the Plough Inn near the river but the food there is not much chop IMO. I also can not help with Port B & Bs.

Greg

Edited: 05 February 2013, 22:14
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
9,877 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney to Port Macquarie half way point?

Try http://www.wotif.com/ for accommodation or http://www.stayz.com.au/ . Both fairly well regarded in Australia. If you use Stayz be sure to follow their payment guidelines and do not "wire" anyone any money.

Berkshire
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydney to Port Macquarie half way point?

ok Thank you

Another alternative would be flying Sydney to Coffs Harbour then

driving from their to Brisbane, as we only have 5 days to do Sydney to Brisbane,

would we be missing out anywhere spectacular if we starting drive from

Coffs Harbour up to Brisbane.

what is worth seeing between Sydney and Coffs Harbour.

Your thoughts please

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,174 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sydney to Port Macquarie half way point?

You are always going to miss something. Even driving across a broad, flat prairie is beautiful in its own way. You are always going to be faced with tough decisions.

However, you say you have 5 days? That is just for the journey? Time in Sydney and Brisbane is outside that 5 days? With five days, you should have lots of time to explore and dawdle along the way.

I'm moderately familiar with the section up to Port Macquarie, as my aunt and uncle lived in Sydney and my grandparents lived in Wingham (inland from Taree) and I think there are some beautiful sections of coast around there. So, yes, you will be missing something. But you always do, and you just have to decide how you prefer to spend your time and go with it.

Berkshire
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sydney to Port Macquarie half way point?

Thanks Vancouverite 67, yes 5 days for that journey

just in the planing stage so dont want to get it wrong.

Will do Australia this time probably one and only and

next Vancouver.

Oz
Level Contributor
11,454 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sydney to Port Macquarie half way point?

Hi,

If you want to get off the Highway and it isn't in the school holidays I would turn on to the Lakes Way just out of the speed zone north of Buladelah and go to Forster/Tuncurry.

I live in Port Macquarie so I have only stayed here to attend conferences "back in the day" . However all the members of my much travelled family rave about Macquarie Waters.

http://mwaters.com.au/

Cheers,

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,715 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sydney to Port Macquarie half way point?

I'd rave about Macquarie Waters too

(I do have a review and have stayed several times)

You'd want a high floor ocean view, not one of the lower ones overlooking the pool.

Spa on the roof is spectacular

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
9,877 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sydney to Port Macquarie half way point?

With just 5 days you will have to be a bit ruthless. There are some very pretty spots on the way to Coffs from Sydney but there is also a lot of "not much" Northern NSW from Coffs is extremely pretty countryside especially when green. Byron Bay is particularly nice as somewhere for lunch ... great fish & chips at the beach. Coffs Harbour and Byron Bay have some beautiful B&Bs also. Of all the coastal towns Byron is the nicest IMO.

Wauchope, Australia
Level Contributor
572 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sydney to Port Macquarie half way point?

I often stop at Karuah as half way between Sydney and Port, there are 2 pretty nice picnic spots on the river, the one on the right hand side is the pettier, even has a little beach if it's warm enough for a swim. You can get Fish and Chips there still or even better bring nice picnic food with you from Sydney. You'll have to pull off hte new Highway but it does a loop back to the new highway so you you don't have to back track.

Personally I think 5 days is plenty of time. You could spend just one night in Port but not head to Coffs until after lunch to see some of Port in the morning before you leave.

I 3rd Macquarie waters, I don't know any B and Bs either. Though I'm not sure you'll meet that many locals there. Go for a walk on the beach after work time and you'll meet plenty of locals.