We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel times & transport related help

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
33 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Travel times & transport related help

Hi

Please suggest teh best plave to stay in Sydney, if my itinerary is as below, and I want to minimize the amoun tI spend on local transport?

Day 1 evening: Walk around the harbor & oper house

Day 2: Head to Manly by ferry for whale watch etc

Day 3: Head to BOndi for the Bondi to Coogee walking trail

I know that Manly ferry departs from Circular quay, but I am not ure how far it is from darling harbour. COuld you please help me with the time?

Also, is there free public transport in Sydney?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel times & transport related help

anywhere in the CBD would be fine including darling harbour.

but probably the area around the rocks would be the best for you.

there is a free 555 bus that does a circut of the city. but it can be crowded and slow due to traffic, often it is quicker to walk. sydney is very walkable.

other transport around town includes the train via the city circle.

am not too sure what u mean by ferry to manly and whale watching.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
33 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel times & transport related help

This free bus that you are talking about, does it connect darling harbor to Bondi or Darling harbor to the circualr quay, such that it will help ne board a freey from the quay?

Also, how far is darling harbour from circular quay?

BAsically, I want to ensure I get to enjoy the lighted night life of Sydney harbor side, and have good free connectivityt o manly and Bondi.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,127 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel times & transport related help

No the free bus does not go to Bondi or Darling Harbour, but it does go to Circular Quay & it also has limited operating hours -Weekdays: 9.30am to 3.30pm, with a late finish of 9pm on Thursday evenings.Weekends: 9.30am to 6.00pm.

Map: 131500.com.au/tickets/upload/docs/555map.pdf

Darling Harbour would be roughly 30 mins walk to Circular Quay. To get to Manly & Bondi you will need to pay for ferry (to Manly) & bus or bus/train to Bondi tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g255060-s302/Sydney…

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,264 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel times & transport related help

free bus passes Circular Quay but nearest to darling Harbour would be George St in the city near Town hall area.

free bus is not suited to late night returns.

It runs from circular Quay to central station via George and elizabeth Sts both clockwise and anti clockwise directions during day time and maybe later one late night shopping night.

For a reasonably late night time outings you might be better suited staying near darling Harbour or in the central CBD area...even Hyde Park is closer. The Rocks are reached by buses but limited services late evening and a long walk or taxi might be required.

free bus does not go to bondi - regular bus, or bus/train combo (change to bus at bondi junction for Bondo beach, or the 'every city has one' tourist priced hop on hop off bus that covers more destinations.

manly by regular ferry is easy from Circular Quay.....whale watching is normally by a tour/tourist boat, unless you chance on the one day in a year a whale strays inside the harbour as your ferry is passing (highly unlikely)

A tip re Opera House/harbour walk -- you can pass through the Botanic gardens and go further after the Opera House....however the gardens close at night...if you do this walk in evening check closing time signs, or you may end up doing a long return detour. Still worth the walk to mrs Macquaires Chair area though.

Edited: 14 February 2013, 07:05
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,019 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel times & transport related help

Quick add.

There's a ferry from Darling Harbour to Circular Quay if you're not inclined to walk.

6. Re: Travel times & transport related help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2015, 04:11
7. Re: Travel times & transport related help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2014, 05:16