We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

High Tea- Sydney

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
High Tea- Sydney

What is the best place for High Tea in Sydney.

I have been to The Victoria Room before so was looking for somewhere different which is equally as good.

Looking at

Tea Room- QVB

Tea Room- Gunners Barracks Mosman

Or is it better at one of the 5 Star Hotels:

Observatory

Sir Stamford

Park Hyatt

Sheraton on the Park.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Victoria
Victoria
Australia
Sir Stamford at Circular Quay Hotel Sydney
Sir Stamford at Circular...
3,401 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sheraton on the Park, Sydney
Sheraton on the Park...
4,327 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,828 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: High Tea- Sydney

Sheraton on the Park and Park Hyatt high teas are considered the best in the industry at the moment. Sheraton on the park in particular has won recognition from the famed English Tea Society.

Otherwise, Gunners definitely and also Bathers Pavilion

Mentioned in this post
Sheraton on the Park, Sydney
Sheraton on the Park...
4,327 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: High Tea- Sydney

I have to agree with KVE - to a point.

Sheraton for the tea and food.

and Bathers for the location and view.

I personally have an aversion to Gunners. I find the service snooty, condescending and bordering on rude. And the maitre'd is the worst

culprit. Because of past bad experiences, I haven't been there for over a year so if the staff have changed, I'm more than happy to revise my opinion because the setting and view over the harbor is magic.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,198 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: High Tea- Sydney

I've been doing a little research on this for myself & had hoped to go to the Park Hyatt in the near future for High Tea but discovered their High Tea service does not start until 2pm which is a bit late. I thought the menu at the Westin looked quite nice, but after KVE's comment might have to have a look at the SOP times & menu :-)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,132 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: High Tea- Sydney

I'm with Mia

We had a good experience at Obs (now langham) but.. it didn't knock my socks off..perhaps because Asian places have been wow!

MMM SOP might be a good trial

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: High Tea- Sydney

Thanks for the feedback. Has anyone had the High Coffee at The Intercontinental? Just been looking at the menu and it sounds pretty good.

Not sure about the atmosphere though as it served in the lounge which is in the centre of the hotel.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,828 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: High Tea- Sydney

The InterCon High Tea is indeed served in The Cortile Lounge adjacent to the reception area.

Whilst the offerings are quite exquisite, the feedback I've received is that it has now become a High Tea buffet. They may or may not be to your liking in terms if quantity but I personal feel that the whole buffet concept diminishes the entire purpose if a long kept tradition. I don't think the hotel chose to do it for quantity reasons, but more to reduce labour intensity - which merely serves to detract further from the experience of true High Tea.

Edited: 17 February 2013, 10:44
Mentioned in this post
The Cortile
The Cortile
173 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney
Level Contributor
289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: High Tea- Sydney

I've had no problem with the service at the Gunners Barracks. Be sure to book a table on the terrace though, not indoors. And watch for the kookaburras that swoop and pinch your food.

christinaanne068
Level Contributor
79 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: High Tea- Sydney

We had High Tea at the Opera House (five years ago now though) and it was fabulous. A short performance was included and the whole experience was very memorable - loved it.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: High Tea- Sydney

Just home from High Coffee. . . We were there almost 3 hours. There was so much food that the tiers were replenished twice. . .and all with three coffees, starting with a coffee martini. It was really lovely to sit and chill out as we weren't rushed at all. We have been to Gunners Barracks 3 or 4 times and really love it there, but the weather can be a problem. This High Coffee is a nice change and there is a nice buzz in the room.enjoy!

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: High Tea- Sydney

>>Just home from High Coffee. . . We were there almost 3 hours.<<

So where was it???