We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A 3 week trip with kids

Hong Kong, China
6 posts
Save Topic
A 3 week trip with kids

We two travel with two kids of 5 and 2. Now initially come up with schedule below. We would like to drive starting from 16.

Do you think it is feasible? It is the first time we drive in Australia. Many thanks.

Date Weekday City

12-Jul Fri HK-Sydney

13-Jul Sat Sydney

14-Jul Sun Sydney

15-Jul Mon Sydney

16-Jul Tue Sydney - take car

17-Jul Wed Ports Stephen

18-Jul Thu Coffs Harbour

19-Jul Fri Port Macquire

20-Jul Sat Hunter Valley

21-Jul Sun Blue Mountain

22-Jul Mon Blue Mountain

23-Jul Tue Farmstay

24-Jul Wed Farmstay

25-Jul Thu Canberra

26-Jul Fri Yarra Valley, puffying billy

27-Jul Sat Phillip Island

28-Jul Sun Melbourne

29-Jul Mon Geelong

30-Jul Tue Great Ocean Road

31-Jul Wed Melbourne city

1-Aug Thu Melbourne city

2-Aug Fri Melbourne-HK

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,335 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A 3 week trip with kids

24-Jul Wed Farmstay

25-Jul Thu Canberra

▵▵▵▵▵▵▵▵▵▵▵▵▵▵▵▵▵▵

Sounds rushed to me. Any idea yet where the farmstay will be?

Edited: 19 February 2013, 04:15
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,335 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A 3 week trip with kids

Oh, and do you realise it will be winter so the days will be short, and some areas can have winter road conditions like fog or black ice.

Hong Kong, China
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: A 3 week trip with kids

Cos I have the vacation just in summer here.

- So which places in my trip will not be recommended in July then? Pls share more info with me.

Hong Kong, China
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A 3 week trip with kids

Initially Mowbray Park Farmstay...

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,301 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A 3 week trip with kids

17-Jul Wed Ports Stephen

18-Jul Thu Coffs Harbour

19-Jul Fri Port Macquire

20-Jul Sat Hunter Valley

21-Jul Sun Blue Mountain

This is a very rushed itinerary. You will be doing at least 3+ hours driving to get to each spot and then you only have really half a day in each location until you have to drive another stint to get to the next place.

You will really not get to see much of anything except the inside of your car. Your children will be bored with so much driving.

25-Jul Thu Canberra

27-Jul Sat Phillip Island

Wow=- this is even more ambitious. Canberra to Phillip island is over 5 hour drive.

Alone , if you want to do the Puffing Billy trip, its a few hours of sitting in the train, let alone the driving to get there. Are you planning on wine tasting in the Yarra Valley or just driving through there?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,265 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A 3 week trip with kids

29-Jul Mon Geelong

30-Jul Tue Great Ocean Road

31-Jul Wed Melbourne city

It is too rushed to do the Great Ocean Road in one day. The roads are very windy too. You could make Geelong a stopover point or half day. It does not warrant on overnight stay if you are short for time.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,335 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A 3 week trip with kids

I want to clarify, the part I commented on is the part I am more familiar with. I did not mean to imply the rest was fine. Btw what did you want to see in Canberra?

I did wonder about GOR but the way I read it you would drive from Geelong along the GOR on one day and return from somewhere along the GOR to Melbourne the next day, so it's a two day trip? If you meant one day then I agree with beryl_be that it is too rushed.

I don't think any of the places you mention are not suitable for winter. You just need to factor in early sunset and possible weather delays into your schedule. Don't try to fit too much in.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,069 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A 3 week trip with kids

Also are your children used to sitting restrained in a car for several hours a day ? If not there could be some boredom and crying (I know of HK children who are not used to travelling in cars).

Also every day of your trip seems to have at least 3 hours of driving with 2 young children.....too much for me.

Why not cut out Coffs Harbour and Port Macquarie ? That is just a trip up and back on the Pacific Hwy.

The GOR needs at least one night as stopover eg Port Fairy.

Hong Kong, China
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: A 3 week trip with kids

Many thanks. It is really a great help for me. seems I have to revise the schedule completely.

I want to go to Coffs Harbour cos the Pet Porpoise Pool. Some friends said it s good.

I will try to fix a new one. but can u guys give some suggestions to this inexperienced trip maker?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,299 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A 3 week trip with kids

Ok so i can see reason for that part of your trip.. Port mac koalas? Hunter Valley wines??

I would skip the overnight in Geelong ( time not location) and do the night in Lorne or Wye river