We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 week trip December to early January..itinerary help!

Sherwood park...
Level Contributor
558 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
5 week trip December to early January..itinerary help!

We are planning a 5 week trip to Australia starting December 1st. Looking at Weather and such we are thinking of the following:

Fly into Brisbane and do about a week on the Sunshine/Gold Coast to relax a bit and get used to the time change.

Fly up North and go to Port douglas for 5 or 6 days (enough?) to do the GBR, Rainforest, white water rafting etc.

Fly south to Adelaide and spend a few days doing the Borossa and McLaren Vale areas.

Head to Melbourne and spend 5 or 6 days including the Great Ocean road.

End up in Sydney for the last week over New Years to do all the things in and around Sydney and get some beach time at the end so we can relax for a couple days before heading back to Canada.

We had originally included Tasmania for a few days, but have scaled that back.

Anything that you can think of to add for a few days here and there or to eliminate? We are not stuck on anything yet.

Thanks

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 week trip December to early January..itinerary help!

u r probably aware that the second half of your itinerary will be in the xmas holiday/summer break time of year and that many places, esp the coastal regions will be very busy and accommo can be a problem. eg. minimum nights etc.

and sydney accommo over NYE is always at a premium and very expensive.

those 'in the know' would have already booked for that period by now.

other than that i think it's a pretty good itinerary.

imo 5 days in PD is enough.

be prepared for some very warm sticky weather up north and hot weather down south.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,404 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 week trip December to early January..itinerary help!

Hi,

I would consider Tassie be re-included and Kangaroo Island considered at the expense of FNQ if you can find accommodation.

You are going to spend a lot of time in departure lounges with the itinerary as it stands. IMHO I would visit fewer places and stay longer.

Cheers,

Sherwood park...
Level Contributor
558 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 week trip December to early January..itinerary help!

Our original dates were going to be mid-November to mid-December. Would you suggest that would be better? We sort of liked the idea of New Years in Sydney, but looking at the availability just now, we could be swayed to go back to the original plan. Maybe November 11 to December 20th give or take a few days either direction.

Also not sure what FNQ is?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,177 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 week trip December to early January..itinerary help!

I like your itinerary, and if you would prefer November/December I'd still go with that itinerary.

FNQ is Far North Queensland. If you started in FNQ then moved down and around to Sydney I think the weather would be very nice.

BTW, NYE in Sydney is magical. If you can afford it and can get some good accoms I'd still consider it.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,648 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 week trip December to early January..itinerary help!

see if you can fly direct to Cairns for Port Douglas (3 or 4/5 days is enough with a trip to the reef and a trip to Cape Tribulation). But note it will be very hot and humid (this is low season there due to weather).

Sunshine coast and Gold Coast are 150 miles apart so need to make a choice here I think. Both are resort/holiday type places so not really seeing much of Australia and 'similar' to PD. Why not drop this and do Tasmania instead ?

Note school holidays start around 5 December so easier to travel before then although peak time is Xmas onwards.

5 weeks is 35 days so time for Tasmania

Are you driving or flying from Melbourne to Sydney ?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 week trip December to early January..itinerary help!

i think mid nov -mid dec would be far better. this would mean easier travelling probably better weather overall and cheaper.accommo.

personally i dont get the attraction of NYE in sydney. mixing with a million others and waiting for hours for 20 mins of fireworks.

others of course differ.....obviously.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,236 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 week trip December to early January..itinerary help!

Another tick for reverting back to your original dates.

Everything will be easier, cheaper, more relaxed, less hyped and with the money you save, put it aside and come back to see whatever you missed out on this trip.

I understand both sides of the story in regards to NYE, but as a local, I wouldn't pay an extra couple thousand to stay in Sydney during this period.

Personal preference I guess.

Sherwood park...
Level Contributor
558 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 week trip December to early January..itinerary help!

leaning back to the mid-november to mid December. Looking at our options from canada being flying into Brisabane or Sydney. So decided on Brisbane to catch the warmer weather from Brisbane up to Port Douglas at the start of the trip, and then come back down south for the beginning of December. We gather that the weather would be good beach Weather in Sydney mid-December?

We are very active (hiking,roadbiking, kayaking etc), do you think the sunshine coast would be more condusive to that, than the Gold Coast? We are a short flight to Vegas, so maybe the Vegas like feel of the Gold Coast can be skipped??

In regards to Melbourne to Sydney flight or dirve, would the drive be worth it outside of the Great Ocean Road (anyone know if a 2 or 3 day bike trip along the Great Ocean Road would be worthwhile??) And I guess it depends if we now add Tasmania from Melbourne, as to what flights we are taking.

Thanks everyone

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 week trip December to early January..itinerary help!

the weather in all parts at that time of year will (should) be good.

GC is really nothing like LV. beautiful beaches (that stretch down into northern new south wales) and a wonderful sub tropical rainforest hinterland .

sure there are parts that are high rise and parts that are tourist tacky but they are easily avoided. the sunshine coast is less developed but still has its touristy parts. one advantage is fraser island just to the north.

melbourne to sydney drive is worth while if u take some time. the coast road doesnt follow the coast too closely and u have to do detours and loops to get the best out of it. 3-5 days.

australia.com/explore/itineraries/nsw-sydney…

dont know anyhting about bike riding the GOR. i think u would have to be very fit. and keep an eye on the traffic.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,648 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 week trip December to early January..itinerary help!

Cycling is a growing and very popular sport here so I am sure there is opportunity to do it (just google cycling in the area you are visiting but not sure how hiring a bike will work). Remember you must wear a helmet so maybe easier to bring one as it seems hire shops don't provide (as they presume you have one).

Tasmania has great walks - Bay of Fires and Cradle Mountain are the best known but plenty of others.

Another point is that hiring a car will give you the most flexibility for GC and Sunshine Coast.

If you go to the GC then consider a trip/staying in Byron Bay, a very popular resort town with diving trips, kayaking to island, surfing, beaches, walks and white water rafting.