We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 days based in Sydney aera

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Topic
6 days based in Sydney aera

Currently we are planning to rent an apartment in either Cronulla on the beach or Wollongong on the beach for the 6 days/5 nights (October 2013) we are there; this is with the idea that we would do day trips from the apartment. Is there enough to do/get to to cover the time or should we move out for a few days? Suggestions ?

Thanks.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 days based in Sydney aera

October is not usually beach weather.

I'm wondering why you have chosen these locations?

Woolongong is not even in Sydney and it's an hour by train to get to the city.

Cronulla is part of the Sydney suburban sprawl, but it wouldn't be my choicee for a location if I wanted to see the sights of Sydney.

If you are asking if there is enough to keep you occupied in either Woolongong or Cronulla for 6 days I would have to say 'no'

If you want a beach-side area that is convenient to Sydney's sights and tourist attractions, I would suggest you look at Manly, Bondi, Bronte, Coogee - any of beachside suburbs closer to the city. Bondi is probably the most convenient - you can be in downtown Sydney on the bus/train in about 40 minutes. Manly is also good - the ferry takes about 40v minutes to the city - less if you take the fast ferry.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,826 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 days based in Sydney aera

Based in Sydney area? For a visit to Sydney (maybe first time) to see the sights, Opera House, Harbour, etc? Yeah, those locations aren't really the ones that spring to mind for that. I see you are also asking about drivers licence. Seems you are planning to visit elsewhere also, but if you intended to do "day trips" by driving then I'd say going into Sydney city by car is an expensive hassle. Other nearby places might be alright. I'm not familiar with the areas but googling for the official tourist website should help you. Like Eva I'm wondering why you have chosen those locations? Budget, houseswap, discount associated with hotel chain membership, or something along those lines? Like we said, it's not really what comes to mind for visiting Sydney.

Edited: 24 February 2013, 00:58
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,132 posts
1,404 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 days based in Sydney aera

Hi,

I'm also wondering why you have chosen these two locations ???

As Eva mentioned if wanting a beach desination try Manly, Bondi, Bronte, or Coogee. Manly Beach would be my preference.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
230 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 days based in Sydney aera

its been said already... you can do much better than the 2 locations you offer up.

Staying in the east is easier to move around and I think more to see and do. Manly is a beautiful location but its distance from what you may want to see makes it a little impractical.

Coogee Beach or Bondi are ideal for you if it is a beach location you seek. The water is very cold in October. How about an apartment in Paddington or Darlinghurst. 2 great places to base yourself and close to restaurants/cafes and good transport.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 days based in Sydney aera

Thanks to all of you. So this plan seem to be not as good as we thought. Yes we have a discount associated with hotel chain membership. Anyway we will change the locations.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,974 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 days based in Sydney aera

Changing locations is a good idea.

That being said, my relatives used to live out by Cronulla, so that was my base for most of my trips to Australia and it was pretty easy. Its a long train ride in and out from the city, but you just have to plan for that, and it drops you right in the centre of the action. And Cronulla itself is lovely and a destination on its own. When you factor in the nearby Botany Bay sites around Kernell and La Perouse, I thought it was a lovely place to stay.

So, not ideal, and you have to factor in the cost of getting in and out of the city, which may negate your savings on accommodations, but not completely ridiculous. Wollongong on the other hand.....

7. Re: 6 days based in Sydney aera

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2014, 05:16