We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying Sydney to LAX - Qantas or Virgin?

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Flying Sydney to LAX - Qantas or Virgin?

Hi, planning our honeymoon in September and want to know which you'd prefer between Virgin or Qantas to fly return between Sydney and Los Angeles? Prices look comparable, however being 6'4" I'm keen to hear about experiences with leg room and more importantly on board service/food in economy etc. Thanks in advance!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
97 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying Sydney to LAX - Qantas or Virgin?

I've only flown Qantas on this route, and the A380 has more legroom than the 747. I'm not sure how this compares to Virgin (777?).

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,458 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying Sydney to LAX - Qantas or Virgin?

I've never had bad service / food on any Q flight to / from LAX, but then again I'm generally nice to the FAs....

Seeing as you are 6'4", I'd def recommend that you pre-book a seat and pay extra for an exit row seat ... or spring for Premium Economy ... a lot more room and worth it IMO

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,957 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying Sydney to LAX - Qantas or Virgin?

Hi,

My hubby is 6'3 & loves Premium Economy if your budget is limited to economy make sure you book exit row. However; do be careful with exit rows as sometimes they allocate you bulkhead ! (so check seat layout).

We prefer Qantas A380 to Virgin to LAX as the service & food are more appealing & professional. We are Plat One World members with Qantas although ; Virgin offered us free Plat status for 12 months so we were lucky to experience both airlines flying economy & business.

Our vote goes to Qantas... although it was very nice & cheeky of Virgin to offer us Plat too ! IMO; the level of service doesn't compare to Qantas.

Edited: 27 February 2013, 04:53
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,529 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying Sydney to LAX - Qantas or Virgin?

absolutely only Qantas. Only flown with Virgin once and the flight attendants were throwing toilet rolls around the cabin whilst we were heading out to take off. Did not give me any confidence in the safety aspect. They did manage to get their safety briefings done as well but not sure how the nervous flyers would have been feeling...

Always had excellent flights with Qantas and found them extremely professional.

Edited: 28 February 2013, 03:20
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,586 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying Sydney to LAX - Qantas or Virgin?

In light of some of the negative comments regarding VA above I advise that I have flown this route with them and was very happy with the flight, service, stewards, seat comfort (although I am a lot shorter than your bloke) and food. I have no experience with Qantas, but would be very happy to fly with VA again.

6. Re: Flying Sydney to LAX - Qantas or Virgin?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2014, 05:16