We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Multi 1 pass vs 555 bus

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
410 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Multi 1 pass vs 555 bus

I am planning my up coming visit to Sydney (April 7-14) and have read different posts about Multi passes and 555 bus (free). I will be staying at Mantra on Kent and I plan on using public transport (buses & ferries) while visiting the following in Sydney: Bondi, Manly, Watson's bay and the usual touristy places in Sydney (Chinatown, Darling harbour, CBD, Circular Quay, Opera house, The Rocks etc). I also plan on going to the Blue Mountains, but with a tour.

My questions are: Which option would be the best one ? I read about Multi 1 pass (prices around $21 for daily pass but from older posts not sure if price is accurate) and the option to buy a daily pass & a weekly pass. Would anyone know what the costs are ? Am I better off using the 555 free bus ? I know the 555 bus doesn't include the ferries but really trying to see which option would be best.

Also, where would I be able to purchase the Daily/weekly pass (I understand from reading previous posts that this does include the ferries to Manly & Bondi) near Mantra on Kent if that is the best option ?

Thanks for your help !

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,127 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Multi 1 pass vs 555 bus

It really does depend on where you're visiting on particular days. Have a look at the FAQ on public transport on the right hand side of this page. The 555 bus has restricted operating hours so may not be running when you want to return to your accommodation.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
410 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Multi 1 pass vs 555 bus

Thanks Mia ! I completely missed (duh !) the FAQ about public transport on the top right......

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Multi 1 pass vs 555 bus

Of all the places you mention, Bondi, Manly and Watson's Bay are the only ones that you need to buy tickets for.

The rest are either walking distance from your hotel or on the 555 route.

Personally, I wouldn't stress about the options too much . I would probably just buy point to point tickets unless you are planning on doing all three in one day in which case a $22 day pass is a good idea.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Multi 1 pass vs 555 bus

Agree with Eva.

The only way you can really figure out which pass is right for you, is getting the fares for the trips, and seeing if the pass is cheaper.

The ferry to Manly is $14.80 return. Ferry to Watsons Bay is $5.80. Bus from Watsons Bay to Bondi Beach is $3.60 and fare from Bondi Beach back to the city is $3.60.

A MyMulti Day Pass is $22, and MyMulti 1 weekly is $43.

So with just those trips you're never going to better off getting a weekly. And you'll save a couple of dollars on a Day Pass only if you do all those trips in a day.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Multi 1 pass vs 555 bus

The 555 bus is pretty frustrating to use - it's really slow and you end up sitting in traffic a lot.

I always use the trains to get around the city, or just walk. So I think the weekly MyMulti 1 would be worth it.

It also works on the light rail, meaning you can get to the Fish Markets if you wanted to go there.

You might also want to go to Sydney's inner suburbs (Surry Hills, Newtown, Darlinghurst, Glebe) to eat - the food is better and cheaper than the CBD. You can get 10min buses to all these places.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
410 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Multi 1 pass vs 555 bus

Thank you all so much for your feedback, just what I was looking for !

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Multi 1 pass vs 555 bus

Twilight,

the city of Sydney is a very walkable city IMO and by the time a 555 bus comes along, you probably could have been at your destination ... sometimes I've waited over 30 mins at Circular Quay ... our party of four gave up in the end.

But whether the Multi 1 pass / weekly works for you depends on whether you want to catch the bus from Chinatown to Circular Quay for example which would be walkable but would take time ... and the time would depend on how fast you can walk and how much you stop and deviate from the route directly down George St.

It could well be that with further research on this forum or guide books for example, you may want to venture to the 'burbs such as Newtown or perhaps to Paddington Market if you have time on a Saturday - you'd most likely take a train or a bus to Newtown and a bus to Paddington market ..so like I said, it depends on if you stick to the places you've mentioned in your posts or decide to venture futher afield.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
410 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Multi 1 pass vs 555 bus

Thank you DougoOz ! Walking is the way I always discover cities when I travel. No better way to explore & discover. Glad to hear that most locations I mentioned are walkable. As I said on previous comment, exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Sounds like strips of tickets might be the best option based on the feedback.

Thanks again, much appreciated !

9. Re: Multi 1 pass vs 555 bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2015, 04:11
New Zealand
Level Contributor
301 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Multi 1 pass vs 555 bus

We always get a weekly mymulti ticket when we're in Sydney. Even when we're only there for 4-5 days it is still worth it. As previously said, you save time trying to work out zones, fares and actually where to buy the tickets from! Just keep it in your wallet and pop the card into the reader thingee at the turnstiles and you're off - much easier.

Have fun whatever you decide to do :-)