We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing food from outside Australia

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
359 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Bringing food from outside Australia

Understandably, it seems that customs is very stringent on bringing food into Aus from other countries. Is it ok to bring wrapped items in like protein bars, or is that not allowed. How about trail-mix that we make for the plane journey from Lax, but do not finish it? I know fruits and veges are out. Thanks for the help.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,441 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing food from outside Australia

All detailed on the official govt site.

daff.gov.au/aqis/…cant-take

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing food from outside Australia

Hi rdm.

This is the official story:

daff.gov.au/aqis/…cant-take

which isn't very specific, I agree. Australians coming home are in the same boat, we don't know what will happen on advance. Suggest you throw the trail mix in the bins at the airport for destruction.

Am I correct in thinking you are going in an endurance event - hence the protein bars? If you have a specific product you use you should be able to find out online if it is avail in Australia. You could possibly order it online and get it posted to your hotel. If not, buy here in a shop but it may be twice as expensive as in the US

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,590 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing food from outside Australia

If you have food of any kind, declare it on your arrivals card and let the Quarantine service decide if it acceptable. If you declare an item that is not allowed into Australia, it will be confiscated but you will not have to pay any penalty. If you do not declare food items, there can be substantial on-the-spot fines.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,893 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringing food from outside Australia

Declare all food on the arrivals card. In fact, on all questions on the arrivals card, if unsure tick yes.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
216 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bringing food from outside Australia

We declare all food items. Generally they are always fine with anything wrapped and sealed. We've brought in and declared - chocolates, biscuits, peanut bars, salmon, beef jerky and a lot of other food stuffs and never had an issue. Dont think you will have a problem with your protein bars, open trail mix will probably be a no though.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bringing food from outside Australia

I bring food into Australia all the time. Just declare it, and you'll be fine. If it's not allowed they'll just take it away. Generally, commercially prepared items are okay, but when in doubt DECLARE.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bringing food from outside Australia

Here is a copy of the passenger card, thanks to lien.

immi.gov.au/managing-australias-borders/bord…

Stoke, England
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bringing food from outside Australia

We had no idea about the restrictions until we were on the plane and with 2 fussy kids and a long flight had taken snacks like crisps, crackers and biscuits and sweets. When I asked flight attendant about taking unused items into the airport she said "Better not as the sniffer dogs will probably get you anyway. needless to say we were extremely worried and left everything on plane to be thrown away. After going through airport procedures it was evident best thing would have been to declare everything on card and then go through "declare" aisle and let them decide. There were no queues and airport staff very helpful.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,893 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bringing food from outside Australia

There are no "declare" or "not declare " or "green" or "red" aisles in Australia. All go through the same aisle. An offical will check your arrivals card and then direct you either to go for a bag check or straight out the door. This occurs after clearing Immigration (Passport and Visa check) and after you have collected your bags.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,820 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bringing food from outside Australia

In the past I have brought in rice crackers (from Japan) and dried mushrooms (from China). In both cases I declared the items and the items were allowed through. Sometimes this can be a time consuming process, since they may ask you questions about where you have been etc, and other times it can be quick. That is still better than not declaring and then getting fined.