We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from Darling Harbour to Circular Quay?

Tumut, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get from Darling Harbour to Circular Quay?

I would like to know the best/easiest way to get from Darling Harbour (we are staying near the entertainment centre at the Novotel-Rockford) to Circular Quay? We will be traveling with a three year old and want to catch the ferry from Circular Quay to Taronga Zoo (we will be doing this on Saturday) We could probably just walk but would like to save our energy for all of the walking we will do at the zoo. Thank you for your help.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,119 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get from Darling Harbour to Circular Quay?

Novotel Rockford is in a kind of an awkward location. I'd say if you're looking to get to Circular Quay, the bus from George st (go up Goulburn st and its to your immediate right infront of Jacks Hairdresser) would be the most convenient.

Edited: 27 March 2013, 08:26
A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get from Darling Harbour to Circular Quay?

I stayed nearby recently and caught the ferry from pier 26 (a short stroll right next to the Pyrmont Bridge on the east side of Darling Harbour). Get a Taronga Zoo and Ferry pass from the ticket office next to the pier. You can get off at Circular Quay on the way if you want (or any number of stops) and then back on to head over to the zoo, or just stay on board for the whole trip. Its the same on the return trip if you want to hop off hop on.

www.captaincook.com.au/home.asp…

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,119 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get from Darling Harbour to Circular Quay?

Ferry is absolutely a most pleasant way of getting to Circular Quay, but from Novotel Rockford, I feel it's a considerably longer walk to the ferry whatf than the bus stop.

From the hotel, they have to either walk around the Ent Cent and walk thru, or cross the road to Day St, walk around the front of the gardens until they can cut in via Darling Quarter Place, then continue along Cockle Bay to the front of the Aquarium.

Nevertheless, the ferry is a much more scenic way of getting there.

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get from Darling Harbour to Circular Quay?

yeah..oops...mistook for Novotel Darling Harbour.

Too many Novotels! :-p

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,563 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get from Darling Harbour to Circular Quay?

Lee if a ferry is what appeals, google the timetables before setting out as they are not necessarily as frequent as the bus services to Circular Quay

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
312 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get from Darling Harbour to Circular Quay?

On my first touristy day in Sydney, I didn't realize how close Darling Harbour was to Circular Quay so I hired a water taxi to take me there. Caught it from the Cockle Bay Wharf side of Darling Harbour (side with most of the restaurants on it) and it took me right to the Opera House. I think it cost me $15? (this was July 2009, so my memory is a bit fading on the costs....)

It was amazing!!! I got my first views of the Bridge and the Opera House from the water, which I think is the best way to view them! Some of my absolute fave pictures from my year in Australia are from that first water taxi trip. :) (my profile pic is from that same day, once I got to the Opera House and was able to sit back and relax and realize I had made my dream come true to visit Sydney!)

So, my suggestion would be to hire a water taxi. I'm not sure if they can drop you at Circular Quay docks directly, but the Opera House dock is a less than 5 min walk to where you'd catch the ferry to Taronga. :)

Enjoy!!!

Cheers,

~ martinigoddess

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,119 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get from Darling Harbour to Circular Quay?

Yes a water taxi is a novel way to get to Circular Quay, but again you'd still have to walk the same direction to get to Cockle Bay.

I've repeated this because if it happens to be a particularly warm day, youre walking that extra 10-15 minutes with a three year old - before you even get to ferry/water taxi.

Tumut, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get from Darling Harbour to Circular Quay?

Thank you for the suggestions/help. We used captain cook cruises and bought combined ferry/zoo passes. Had a great day and ferry ride was a great way to also see the harbour, harbour bridge and opera house. We also got off on way back from zoo at circular quay and had a walk around before getting back on ferry to darling harbour

9. Re: Best way to get from Darling Harbour to Circular Quay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2014, 05:17