We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My planning in Sdyney. Appreciate the advice..

Penang, Pulau...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
My planning in Sdyney. Appreciate the advice..

Dear Advisor,

I need some help here, I’m traveler from Malaysia.

We (whole family) are planning to visit Sydney from 10-Aug to 15-Aug, Total 8 ppl; 5@~Age30 & 3@age~55.

We plan to stay in Sydney area for ~3N, then to blue mountain 3N, most of the day-light activity had been confirmed but not night.

Basically, We plan to do some dinner cooking during as our night activity & budgeted trip. (cause not much night attraction ~sydney & sunset @5pm)

Kindly, We need a localize ppl to help us on below question:-

At Sydney

1) Pls recommend us a accommodation place with requirement:-

a. Safe & Cheap.

b. Convenient to get public transport. Bus or Trains-station,

c. Near to grocery shop ( cook dinner, selling Fish, lobster & etc)

d. Within Sydney area.

2) Anything we can do during night? Usually, what local ppl will do during night time?

3) Any event/festival during ~Aug timeline?

4) We plan to rent a 8-seater MPV, Pls recommend a cheap local car-rental company.

At Blue mountain

1) I saw there’s a lot of small village ~blue mountain area, usually tourism will stay at which village ( 1N only) Eg: katoomba & etc..

At Blue Oberon

We plan to stay 2N in Oberon, due to there’s a horse-riding package,

http://www.highcountrytrailrides.com.au

1) Do this company offer good horse-riding for 1st rider?

2) If not, Pls recommend us, some others farm stay with horse riding & farm activity as shearing wools, harvest fruit, food as daily activity.

I;m looking forward to get advice from localize ppl to prevent over spending $, time & boring..

Thanks in advance for the golden advice..

Best Regards,

William Phon

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,435 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My planning in Sdyney. Appreciate the advice..

have a look at the meriton apartments at kent, pitt and world tower.

http://www.meritonapartments.com.au/sydney

they all fit your criteria of 1 a-d.

re cheap? hmmm.....unfortunately, sydney accommodation is not cheap. however, you can save by staying in an apartment and self catering for breakfast and supper and dinner.

re blue mountains....most people stay in katoomba.

another option for your group would be to stay in the YHA in sydney (central, railway) and in katoomba.. there are double rooms available with private facilities and the others could share a dorm room and use the shared bathrooms or the bathroom with the double room.

there are large kitchens in the YHA for everyone to use. these places are clean, bright, safe and well located.

please check if it is worthwhile to become a member of the YHA (to get a better room rate).

www3.yha.com.au/Hostels/NSW/Sydney-Surrounds/

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,838 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My planning in Sdyney. Appreciate the advice..

Note it will be cold in August in BM and Oberon so have suitable clothing, jackets.

Do you need to spend 3 nights in the BM (and only 3 nights in Sydney) ?

Use vroomvroomvroom.com.au to check car hire prices

If you stay in Meriton then close to Sydney Chinatown and World Square shopping so check out at night.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Penang, Pulau...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: My planning in Sdyney. Appreciate the advice..

Thanks for the feedback,

Have to start work now.... :)

Gladesville...
Level Contributor
184 posts
462 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My planning in Sdyney. Appreciate the advice..

Leura is a nice little mountain town near Katoomba. I would personally only stay 1 night in Oberon as it is very far & is only a small town with nothing to do. Near Katoomba you could visit Wentworth Falls & do some of the bushwalks especially out to Red Hands Aboriginal cave. Govetts Leap in Blackhealth has less people than Echo Point in Katoomba but has beautiful views of the Grose Valley. Its very cold in August, bring a jacket!

Mentioned in this post
Leura
Leura
Blue Mountains, Australia
Katoomba
Katoomba
Blue Mountains, Australia
Wentworth Falls
Wentworth Falls
1,041 Reviews
Katoomba, Australia
Govetts Leap
Govetts Leap
519 Reviews
Blackheath, Australia
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: My planning in Sdyney. Appreciate the advice..

Could look at Hyde Park Inn. They have some apartments (you'd need to get 2 rooms though), which might be good (I find that they are cheaper than Meriton Apartments, which I love, but realise they can be very expensive). It's best to contact them directly though by email or phone, as sometimes, their website says that rooms have sold out when they haven't. If you look at www.wotif.com/ and select '2 bedroom' apartment from 'room type', you should come up with a list of places to look at.

As mentioned above, Sydney really isn't cheap at all, unfortunately, when it comes to accommodation.

As much as possible, I think it's best to stay within the CBD (central business district or city centre), or else, you'll end up spending money on transport. Don't hire a car for driving when you are in the city - It will be a waste of money, so, only hire when you are ready to go to the Blue Mountains.

If your stay includes a Saturday night (on 17, 24 or 31st August) in August, then, take note that there will be fireworks held (weather permitting) from 8:30PM at Darling Harbour.

On Friday nights, there's usually an outdoor market at Chinatown.

Mentioned in this post
Hyde Park Inn
Hyde Park Inn
1,107 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
Blue Mountains
Blue Mountains
The Darling
The Darling
969 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Penang, Pulau...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: My planning in Sdyney. Appreciate the advice..

Hi Arisanosila,

Thanks for the great feedback, Really appreciate..

Question:-

If your stay includes a Saturday night (on 17, 24 or 31st August) in August, then, take note that there will be fireworks held (weather permitting) from 8:30PM at Darling Harbour.

1) Every saturday? I reach on 10-Aug morning & leaving on 15-Aug night.

Pls advice..

Thanks,

William Phon

Mentioned in this post
The Darling
The Darling
969 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Penang, Pulau...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: My planning in Sdyney. Appreciate the advice..

Dear The_Pale_Ridah.

Thanks for the feedback,

Actually, I'm interested on the horse riding, farm stay, natural view & adapt to the living style of Country house, .

Pls recommend me something similar with above activity, I;m Ok to change.

Regards,

William Phon

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,838 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My planning in Sdyney. Appreciate the advice..

I have not stayed here so no recommendations but something to consider:

www.glenworth.com.au only 1 hour north of Sydney

www.valleyviewpark.com.au this could be combined with trip to BM

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: My planning in Sdyney. Appreciate the advice..

Unfortunately, the fireworks are only on the three Saturdays listed, and not on the 10th.

Singapore, Singapore
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: My planning in Sdyney. Appreciate the advice..

Is it safe to rent private apartment for travel purpose? Which are the website that is trusted to look for private apartment renting for short stay.